If you subscribe to New Scientist, you can read an excerpt of "Science Left Behind" by their editors, drawn from the book and dealing with some of the more nonsensical ways progressives get catered to by politicians who are happy to check science, reason and data at the door if it will get out some votes; in this case by replacing plastic utensils in the Congressional cafeteria with corn-based ones that melted in soup and couldn't cut anything.
This was supposed to appeal to the environmental movement - and it certainly did - but it did nothing at all to help the environment. Its cancellation did, however, lead to an all-out assault on the California Republican who took the advice of his Democrat predecessor and undid the program when Republicans got control of the House again early in 2011. In the last election, due to redistricting and an expensive public relations campaign noting he was 'wrong for California', Rep. Dan Lungren was defeated.
But they were basically correct in their campaign ads. Science and reason are 'wrong for California', at least to 66% of the state, because it often is in defiance of their world view.
Lefty nonsense: When progressives wage war on reason - New Scientist
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Surveys Show Global Warming Belief Doesn't Change With The Weather
- The BPA Paradox – Too Many Studies?
- Reasons Serious Scientists Should Not Fear The Winnower and other OA Open Review Journals.
- Education: Stop New Age Thinking, Chalk And Talk Might Be The Best Way After All
- Big Data Could Be A Big Problem For Workplace Discrimination Law
- "Where's the beef?..."
- "Your statement is outrageous. What mistake have I made? Please elaborate. The scientists quoted..."
- "I think that is due to the Winnower being in Beta. ..."
- "Jon, I think that with all due respect you have made a serious mistake with this article which..."
- "I am a leftist. I am for a revenue-nuetral carbon tax. Having the CO2 externalities part of the..."
- Environmental 'tipping points' key to predicting extinctions
- Penn team's game theory analysis shows how evolution favors cooperation's collapse
- Wireless electronic implants stop staph, then dissolve
- JAX research team identifies new mechanism for misfolded proteins in heart disease
- Toxin targets discovered