The BP oil spill in the Gulf is doing unmeasurable damage to the local economy and ecology of the region. Are government efforts geared toward making undersea oil extraction safer or cleaning up the damage done?
Not really. Pres. Obama's BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling Commission instead seems primarily focused on ending America's "addiction to oil" and a disaster like this is a heel-clickingly delightful way to frame the debate to advance that agenda.
Given that the first order of business should be fixing the problem and cleaning it up, it is strange that 5 out of the 7 members have zero experience in either engineering or science - it's positively George Bush-ian in its anti-science agenda, except for Bush it would have been pro-oil people and for Obama it is people who hate the industry. Neither is acceptable, though Bush's anti-science moments certainly got more attention from the science community.
Granger Morgan, who is head of the engineering and public policy department at Carnegie Mellon University and an Obama campaign contributor but apparently not aggressive enough for the panel, said there needs to be more technical expertise and "folks who aren't sort of already staked out" on oil issues. Meaning they hate the industry and want to be in sound bites teeing off on Mr. Bean, or whoever the heck is running BP now.
An environmental activist makes their living hating oil the same way the oil industry makes money loving it so the value of Frances Beinecke of the the Natural Resources Defense Council is questionable when the goal is to fix industry practices. What are her credentials? She is most famous for the now-debunked and never-peer-reviewed Alar apple scare 'study' which cost Washington state apple growers $125 million with its hysterical diatribes on a problem that did not exist. Who did she blame for that fiasco? The media, of course, not the NRDC's agenda-driven junk science.
The commission does have a Republican, William K. Reilly, Environmental Protection Agency chief under President George H.W. Bush, so it can be called bi-partisan, and Reilly insisted on technical expertise clearly lacking on the panel itself - so he is getting information from a 66 member group of actual experts headed by Bob Bea, petroleum engineering professor at U.C. Berkeley.
Cherry Murray, Dean of the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, at least has engineering in her title, though her degree is in optics. One environmental scientist, one engineer and 5 people with an anti-oil agenda are not a sign that the government is interested in fixing the problem as much as engaging in the usual political theater.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Rush To Be Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Bizarre Forelimb Evolution In Ancient Drepanosaurus Fossil
- Ground Squirrels Use The Sun To Hide Food
- Paleo: In A Clinical Trial, Bread Made With Ancient Grains Could Benefit Heart Health
- The Social Psychology of Presidential Election Polls, Part 1 of 2
- Study Explains Mechanisms Behind Glioblastoma Influence On The Immune System
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- "No, no cause for concern at all :). It's just a new moon, such as happens once a month. When the..."
- "Nice quote! I googled around for this a bit more and stumbled on a graph that showed earth's energy..."
- "hey robert you ta knowing that tomorrow will be a phenomenon on the moon called black moon ???..."
- "Oh, that's a really interesting point, hadn't thought of that. I agree! Perhaps the most advanced..."
- "Yes that's what I'm saying :). If you want more reassurance do message me on quora, quite a few..."
- Kratom Is A Drug By Any Measure - Treat It Like One
- San Francisco Soda Tax: A Feel-Good Policy Based on Junk Science
- Watson and Crick did not discover DNA
- Is Parenting Kids of Human and Canine Persuasion the Same? Yes!
- Diabetes: MiniMed 670G Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin System Is A Waypoint To An Artificial Pancreas
- Celebrate Oktoberfest with Beer Chemistry
- 51 U.S. House Members Urges DEA To Delay "Hasty" Ban On Natural Herbal Supplement Kratom
- Women are a quarter of the 1 percent
- Wetlands and agriculture, not fossil fuels, behind the global rise in methane
- Mass immigration is correlated to higher levels of crime, but not causal
- How would you like a kitchen surface that cleans itself?