How does a former math teacher in Texas keep winning the lottery? Joan Ginther has hit four Texas Lottery jackpots and raked in $21 million since 1993 ($5.5 million, half of the Texas Lottery jackpot, that first time). The last time she won was two years ago ($3 million prize from a scratch ticket). And then two years before that ($2 million scratch ticket again). And now $10 million in the $140 million Extreme Payout with a scratch ticket (errr ... again).
The chances of that, if those are the only 4 she ever bought, are 1 in 18 septillion - 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 if your head is wide enough to see all those zeros. But she might know that, thanks to her PhD in mathematics from Stanford.
Lucky numbers? Unlikely, since three of the winners were scratch tickets and one was a lottery draw.
A system? You can bet the third time she showed up at lottery headquarters in Austin the fraud alarms went off but they have found nothing. Whatever the secret, she is not telling, and hasn't said a word since 1993 when she first hit big. But the people around there say she has been very nice, she bought the local church a van and gave her home to charity when she moved to ... wait for it ... Las Vegas. I would too.
A lucky place to buy, perhaps? A highway gas station called the Times Market has become something of a Mecca for people looking to win big, since she has won twice in it, making it three times in the same town of 3,000 people. 525 Highway 77 Bypass, in Bishop, Texas if you are getting in the car right now. I'll meet you there.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Anomaly! Book Of The Week At Times Higher Education
- Random Thoughts Of A Physicist In Honeymoon
- It's Been Another Record Year For Agriculture - When Do Climate Change Forecasts Come True?
- Climate Change Made The Sahara Green - Then Took It Away Again
- Anomaly! At 35% Discount For Ten More Days
- Sitting Linked To Premature Aging - And Hopefully Skepticism
- How Viruses Leave Messages For Descendants On How To 'Infect'
- "I don't know why my comment's formatting was lost in the transmission, so that it is now one big..."
- "“If you don't use probabilities then how else do you do it? At any rate that's not a criticism..."
- "Tomasso, Congratulations, may you enjoy a long and happy life together with Kalliopi! Best regards..."
- "Found another one : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/545975/end-of-the-world-Gods-vengeance..."
- "Thanks :). Actually there are so many fake doomsday red top tabloid stories that I tend to wait..."
- A Drug 85 Times More Potent than THC Caused 'Zombie Outbreak' in New York City
- Doubt Cast Over Sunscreen-Vs.-Shade Study
- ABCD: Obesity Has A New Name, Will It Stop The Epidemic?
- President George H. W. Bush in ICU, Wife Barbara in Same Hospital
- Media Think World of Science and Health Will End on Inauguration Day 2017
- And Then There Were Three: A New Trivalent Herpes Vaccine Enters The Scene