How does a former math teacher in Texas keep winning the lottery? Joan Ginther has hit four Texas Lottery jackpots and raked in $21 million since 1993 ($5.5 million, half of the Texas Lottery jackpot, that first time). The last time she won was two years ago ($3 million prize from a scratch ticket). And then two years before that ($2 million scratch ticket again). And now $10 million in the $140 million Extreme Payout with a scratch ticket (errr ... again).
The chances of that, if those are the only 4 she ever bought, are 1 in 18 septillion - 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 if your head is wide enough to see all those zeros. But she might know that, thanks to her PhD in mathematics from Stanford.
Lucky numbers? Unlikely, since three of the winners were scratch tickets and one was a lottery draw.
A system? You can bet the third time she showed up at lottery headquarters in Austin the fraud alarms went off but they have found nothing. Whatever the secret, she is not telling, and hasn't said a word since 1993 when she first hit big. But the people around there say she has been very nice, she bought the local church a van and gave her home to charity when she moved to ... wait for it ... Las Vegas. I would too.
A lucky place to buy, perhaps? A highway gas station called the Times Market has become something of a Mecca for people looking to win big, since she has won twice in it, making it three times in the same town of 3,000 people. 525 Highway 77 Bypass, in Bishop, Texas if you are getting in the car right now. I'll meet you there.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Kudos To "The Independent" Newspaper For Debunking Nibiru "Blood Moon" Hoax
- USDA Microbiologist Warns Bacteria In Vaping Products May Be A Health Concern
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- Control Cancer By Making The Tumor Cell Environment Hostile
- Gödel,Frenkel, Kurzweil, and Hawkins on AI
- A Great Blitz Game
- Beekeeping Fad And The Stress Of Traveling Is Harmful To Bees
- "100% - the idea doesn't even make sense...."
- "How sure are you mr walker that this cant be real then lets just say for instance shall we that..."
- "Hi Pete, thanks for signing your post. Okay - the thing is that yes, people can be wrong. Even..."
- "No im not the same person im petrified mr walker literally petrified i just wish i could debunk..."
- "Just to say, another Nibiru is a hoax short article from International Business times, reporting..."
- Breast Cancer: Genomics May Show Where Chemo Might Not Be Needed
- Gallup Poll: Great Example of How to Bias a Social Science Study
- Another Kardashian Craze Debunked
- Fad Friday: Ditch The Body Wrap!
- Commonly Cited Stat of 10 Bacteria for Every 1 Human Cell Is Wrong
- Why The EpiPen And Other Generic Drugs Are So Expensive
- Activity tracker uses heart rate to personalize amount of exercise needed to prevent death
- Moderate physical activity linked with 50 percent reduction in cardiovascular death in over-65s
- 20 cent school intervention stops unhealthy weight gain in children
- Low socioeconomic status associated with higher risk of second heart attack or stroke
- Smartphone detects atrial fibrillation with existing hardware