Are you healthier if you eat cupcake from a mix you buy in a grocery store, which would be required to have a GMO label if California's Proposition 37 passes, or an 'organic' cupcake from Whole Foods?
On a science site, you know I would not ask that question if the answer were not obvious. Humans are inherently irrational, even in our quest to rationalize our odd behavior, like claiming random mutations due to high-energy cosmic rays are better than precisely controlled human ones, because the former are 'natural' - or eating an incredibly healthy cupcake because it is more expensive and in a fancy 'health food' store.
Science 2.0 contributors Lindsay Starke and Michael Taft are the high-powered machine behind the Being Human conference I attended earlier this year and have started a new Being Human website, so I did a guest post for them: GMOs Won't Kill You, But That Organic Cupcake Might where I discuss irrationality, especially when it comes to food, and how that is a component of what makes us human.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Robot Tongue Identifies The Correct Beer Every Time
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Editorial Independence Or Extortion? Frontiers Sacks 31 Editors
- Satellites Catch Birth Of Two Volcanic Islands In Yemen
- Brain-Computer Interface Makes Communication For Kids With Cerebral Palsy Easier
- Illegal Immigration To The U.S. Caused By Globalization?
- Wealthy Elites Will Soon Get GMO-Free Similac
- "Okay, they can take Yellow dye #6 out of the nacho cheese, but don't touch mah Cheesy Puffs!..."
- "Jesus H Christ, you have not written a Wikipedia article, you've written the book! I personally..."
- "Thanks, Hank, for taking the time to write your commentary on the issue involving a number of our..."
- "Just found a post by Jester with some more detail on timetables for the rest of the year: http..."
- "Quick q: what's the expected timeline for reaching 1 fb^-1? (I'd be happy with a pointer where..."