Are you healthier if you eat cupcake from a mix you buy in a grocery store, which would be required to have a GMO label if California's Proposition 37 passes, or an 'organic' cupcake from Whole Foods?
On a science site, you know I would not ask that question if the answer were not obvious. Humans are inherently irrational, even in our quest to rationalize our odd behavior, like claiming random mutations due to high-energy cosmic rays are better than precisely controlled human ones, because the former are 'natural' - or eating an incredibly healthy cupcake because it is more expensive and in a fancy 'health food' store.
Science 2.0 contributors Lindsay Starke and Michael Taft are the high-powered machine behind the Being Human conference I attended earlier this year and have started a new Being Human website, so I did a guest post for them: GMOs Won't Kill You, But That Organic Cupcake Might where I discuss irrationality, especially when it comes to food, and how that is a component of what makes us human.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Wild Rabbits Genetically Became Tame Ones
- Junk Food Rats Ditch Balanced Diet To Eat Just Like Obese People
- China's R&D Budget Surpasses The Entire EU - But Applied Research Has Plummeted
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- Why I Believe We’ll Find Aliens - Seth Shostak
- High Dietary Salt Linked To Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms
- All Living Creatures Need Vitamin Thiamine To Live - Except This One
- "It is a pity that, although a French group is signing the article with a reference to several institutions..."
- "I thought that some humor is necessary here: ..."
- "You either don't understand what co-evolution is or did not read the comment. The commenter wrote..."
- "How does co-evolution equivalent to the naturalistic fallacy? It seems that you are quite prone..."
- "You misunderstand me again, (maybe willingly) and exaggerate again: 1. Misunderstanding: (what..."
- Transvenous lead extraction clinically successful in 98 percent of cases
- First multidisciplinary recommendations on management of arrhythmias in ACS patients
- First expert consensus on ventricular arrhythmias published
- First comprehensive ESC Guidelines on aortic diseases published
- First recommendations on all new oral anticoagulants in pulmonary embolism published