Are you healthier if you eat cupcake from a mix you buy in a grocery store, which would be required to have a GMO label if California's Proposition 37 passes, or an 'organic' cupcake from Whole Foods?
On a science site, you know I would not ask that question if the answer were not obvious. Humans are inherently irrational, even in our quest to rationalize our odd behavior, like claiming random mutations due to high-energy cosmic rays are better than precisely controlled human ones, because the former are 'natural' - or eating an incredibly healthy cupcake because it is more expensive and in a fancy 'health food' store.
Science 2.0 contributors Lindsay Starke and Michael Taft are the high-powered machine behind the Being Human conference I attended earlier this year and have started a new Being Human website, so I did a guest post for them: GMOs Won't Kill You, But That Organic Cupcake Might where I discuss irrationality, especially when it comes to food, and how that is a component of what makes us human.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition Signatures Over 10% Of Total Votes Cast
- Better Brains With Beer
- Beneficial Bacteria May Protect Breasts From Cancer
- Some Celiac Disease May Be Due To Viruses
- What Did Earth's Ancient Magnetic Field Look Like?
- Finding All-Hadronic Top - Again
- "I will lean more to the ethics of 23 and Me in that there is no state coercive force of State involved..."
- "However you might be interested to know, we have an interesting system in the Scottish Government..."
- "Right sorry that's probably based on my earlier version of the article and facebook posts. I got..."
- "There's the issue of the population. Even the Puerto Ricans that I work with have a low opinion..."
- "Good for you! Glad to see you've seen the light and are even going so far aa to pursue a degree..."
- Chemistry Can Help Roast the Perfect Coffee Bean
- What Happens To A Soccer Player’s Brain After Missing A Penalty Kick
- It’s Back to Shots for Flu Prevention
- ACSH Applauds Media Awareness of the Fentanyl Crisis
- Counting Bites Examined, to Help Decrease Food Intake
- The Safe And Unsafe Nutty Treats For Your Pup
- How to stop the United Nations from abusing its immunity
- Study examines quality of end life care for patients with different illnesses
- Improvements needed in end-of-life care for patients with organ failure
- Georgetown Institute launches real-time study of smartphone fertility app use
- After Brexit, Italy May Be Next