A little over a year ago I wrote about the continued disturbing trend in government subsidies of 'magic rocks' while claiming they were science - in that instance, commercial solar companies that were being propped up by American taxpayers, with little or no due diligence, because the president and his Energy Secretary said we were in a 'race with China' to produce cheap solar panels, when China has no unions and no environmental policies and therefore a much lower cost basis. The only way to make up that financial delta was to have government funding, we were told, but common sense people know it isn't really growth that way, no matter how the numbers are framed.
So during this election season people can coo about wind power but wind power for 2013 is non-existent for a simple reason: the government has not agreed to underwrite it. We can also brag about the $72 billion in other alternative energy porkbarrel we have on the public books, but we shouldn't. What looked bad 13 months ago would be a Special Prosecutor investigation in ordinary political circumstances today.
One example of no due diligence I discussed over the summer was Abound Solar. If you grab your favorite search engine and check them out, you will see them profiled numerous times by lots of mainstream news sites and extolled by the Obama administration in the 2009 video below. The company was created in 2007 by academics from Colorado State University. Like a dozen other companies now plagued by scandal, the green energy administration kept offering them to us as proof their alternative energy stimulus was working and the future was all science-y and smart if we would just write government checks today. So what if their cadmium telluride (CdTe) solar panels used toxic materials and haven't been viable for any company in 50 years of research? 'We are Americans, let's throw money at it until it works'.
2009, President Obama discussed Abound and its 2,000 new green jobs, if they just got enough government help. H/T David Harsanyi at Human Events.
Well, it wasn't science-based or smart. Defunct Abound Solar closed in July and is now being investigated for securities fraud, consumer fraud and financial misrepresentation. Steve Raabe at The Denver Post notes that the District Attorney in the jurisdiction of Abound claims "officials at Abound Solar knew products the company was selling were defective, and then asked investors to invest in the company without telling them about the defective products."
Abound could have robbed American taxpayers of $400 million but it really only cost $60 million before they closed their doors. We're lucky they were so incompetent they didn't cost us a lot more, really.
Bankrolling solar panel companies has not worked very well so how did the government make America's future a clean energy one? By placing giant tariffs on Chinese manufacturers.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Be In Such A Rush To Go Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- Paleo: In A Clinical Trial, Bread Made With Ancient Grains Could Benefit Heart Health
- Hubble Spots Europa Geysers Again - How They Did It - And What Next? Flyby? Lander?
- Why Psychology Lost Its Soul - Science Replaced It
- Chatelperronian Hominins: Disputed Neanderthal Region Confirmed In France
- No Go Area! What? What is that?
- "Oh, sorry to hear that, I hear this so often. Basically it's like propoganda I think. Propoganda..."
- "Hi mr walker... lately i havent been able to eat or drink.. and if i do sleep its during the whole..."
- "Right, California did, but prior to that there were schools in Marin with only 25% vaccination..."
- "I don't just mean Trump - I mean Paul, Fiorina, Christie, and to the medical community's horror..."
- "I like how Farid's lifestyle changed so that he could identify in a way that he wanted people to..."
- Is Parenting Kids of Human and Canine Persuasion the Same? Yes!
- Diabetes: MiniMed 670G Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin System Is A Waypoint To An Artificial Pancreas
- Celebrate Oktoberfest with Beer Chemistry
- Littlest Consumers Doing Well, Nutrition-wise
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Exciting News, But Don't Throw Away Condoms Just Yet
- Ben & Jerry’s Asks Us to Take Big Lick of Fear & Hype
- Antipsychotic medications linked to increased risk of pneumonia in persons with Alzheimer's disease
- Multiple sclerosis misdiagnosis shows need for improved education of clinicians
- Brown adipose tissue can secrete factors that activate fat and carbohydrate metabolism
- Therapeutic Gene Delivery for Inherited Retinal Degeneration in Children
- Molecular atlas of the pancreas