Could the big split among anti-science hippies occur over a cute little cat?
PETA loves animals. Greenpeace hates genetic modification and science in general because changes are only 'natural' if high-energy cosmic rays mutate things at random. What about when scientists use unnatural science to help save an endangered species?
An African Black-footed Cat was born February 6, 2012, at the Audubon Nature Institute in New Orleans. The cool science aspect, or the creepy FrankenKitten aspect if you are a progressive, is that it was born to an ordinary domestic cat - the first of its kind to be born from inter-species embryo transfer.
That means we may never have animals go extinct again, which would mean the World Wildlife Federation would have to start kneecapping scientists; without a crisis to raise money for, a whole bunch of people have to get jobs. The story is actually eight years old, involving a male from the Henry Doorly Zoo Center for Conservation and Research in Omaha, Nebraska circa 2003 and his preserved sperm. IVF was performed using the the eggs from a female black-footed cat living at the Audubon research center two years later. Then the fertilized embryos were frozen until 2011 when they were placed inside a different species.
The world ended with a 65-gram ball of fur. Credit: Audobon Institute.
Did you get all that? Inter-species embryo transfer from frozen/thawed embryo transfer using cryopreserved sperm. Pretty awesome, right? Audobon called it a breakthrough in genetic engineering of endangered cats. Maybe. Or maybe it is the precursor to our doom.
Here's the adorable little abomination of nature in action:
Researchers are not stopping there. “The next step for us will be to clone the black-footed cat to ensure we will always have enough genetic material to bolster the species,” said Dr. Martha Gomez, co-investigator on the current project. (insert maniacal laugh)
It will be interesting to see who on the anti-science front attacks first. Good thing the right wing will be staying out of this one. They never have any concerns about biology. Oh wait...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- "Tommaso, This is an interesting question - thanks for sharing. I disagree with your answer to part..."
- "Hmm...a few thoughts: 1. Because, if the take-home message from this award is that people should..."
- "Hello Maurice,indeed this prize must collectively be felt as a prize to superK, I guess...."
- "There's room on this planet for quackery too, that doesn't mean it's good. It is a professional..."
- "I object to the use of western science and western medicine. It's an insult to thousands of outstanding..."
- Why Is Mother Jones So Afraid Of Science? And Journalism?
- Weight-Loss Surgery Improves Health of Some Diabetics
- Ben Carson Bungles Again, Treating Cancer with Supplements
- No Vax, No School: US Supreme Court Backs NY State
- Remaking the Peanut to Make Schools Safer
- Ancient Chinese Medicine Not Magical, Nobel Prize or Not