Regulatory DNA changes have made a huge impact on the evolution of human-specific traits. A study in the latest issue of Nature covers not just the usual stuff, like what has been added in evolution to make us distinctly 'human', but rather what was lost.
We're obviously different from animals and the researchers set out to find some molecular occurrences that are present in chimpanzees and other mammals but not in people - they found 583, which they call hCONDELs, 510 which were validated, mostly in nonfunctional DNA. One instance sure to catch attention is deletion of a penile spine enhancer from the human androgen receptor (AR) gene, a change correlated with a change in human anatomy - namely loss of penile spines.
Even more interesting for junk science infomercials and spam emails regarding genitals in the future, they tested the AR expression pattern and found that the chimpanzee sequence drives 'significant' reporter gene expression when tested in human foreskin fibroblasts, which means that the pathways are still present in humans.
So why did this non-coding region of DNA get deleted? They say it is because humans became couples and adapted monogamous reproduction and morphological characteristics followed. So your penis has no spine because of pairbonding and increased paternal care. Thanks, wife!
Citation: Cory Y. McLean, Philip L. Reno, Alex A. Pollen, Abraham I. Bassan, Terence D. Capellini, Catherine Guenther, Vahan B. Indjeian, Xinhong Lim, Douglas B. Menke, Bruce T. Schaar, Aaron M. Wenger, Gill Bejerano,&David M. Kingsley, 'Human-specific loss of regulatory DNA and the
evolution of human-specific traits', Nature March 10, 2011 V471 p.219 doi:10.1038/nature09774
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Vitriolic Abuse Of Anita Sarkeesian: Why The Games Industry Needs Her
- Sam Ting On AMS Results: Dark Matter Might Be One Seminar Away
- Why Natural Gas, Including Fracking, Is Better For The Environment Than Wind And Solar
- Factor In Space Bubbles Or The Terrorists Win
- Triclosan In Utero May Disrupt Growth Of Boys, But BPA Doesn't
- Mysterious 1808 Eruption - The Real Cause Of The Coldest Decade Of The Last 500 Years
- Scientists Are Not Trusted By Americans - Here's Why
- "What causes segregation nowadays? People wanting to live like human beings, moving away from those..."
- "The potential for a discovery is there Anon. It's in the high-energy data and the antiproton data..."
- "It's amazing to see the PR machine that Ting has put together at work. Not only do we have to wait..."
- ":) Actually amphetamine salts were not sustainable as an ADHD solution for me. They actually did..."
- "Hi Hontas. This caught my eye: That said, it may be that there simply is no strong signal of inflation..."
- Stop taking patients in cardiac arrest to hospital, says expert
- Dying brain cells cue new brain cells to grow in songbird
- Being sheepish about climate adaptation
- Asteroid named for University of Utah makes public debut
- Does size matter? MRI imaging sheds light on athletes most at risk for severe knee injury