A just-released Study by The Lancet and other notable international organizations says "Climate change already affects human health, and if no action is taken, problems such as malnutrition, deaths and injury due to extreme weather conditions, and change in geographical distribution of disease vectors will worsen." A Series of Papers on Household Energy, Food and Agriculture, Urban Land Transport, and Low Carbon Electricity Generation is the result of an international collaboration of scientists. The Papers make a strong case for linking climate and health goals, and through suggested strategies and case studies encourage the international and business communities to act now.
A notable mention from the Food and Agriculture Paper suggests that in order for the agricultural sector to meet the target recommended by the UK Committee on Climate Change to reduce UK
emissions from the concentrations recorded in 1990 by 80% by 2050, which would require a 50% reduction by 2030, they identified that a 30% reduction in livestock production would be needed to meet this target. In addition, the potential benefits of reduced consumption of livestock products on the burden of ischaemic heart disease shows the disease burden would decrease by about 15% in the UK.
Image Credit: The Lancet (Full Size Lancet Food, Agriculture, and Health Diagram is here)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Poisons Chemists Hate, But You Just Ate
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- New Open-access Data On Paleofloods
- "I'm really scared about this all and 8m just hoping it isn't real, are you sure that nasa or the..."
- "Yes, it's just nonsense. I can't think of any new ways to answer this question. Do you have..."
- "so your sure it don't exist then and nothing is going to hit us ..."
- "It can be in a 3600 year orbit and not exist in the same way that Harry Potter can have a scar..."
- "yes I agree with u it does all seem silly but wen there is all these videos and pictures on the..."
- Earth's first ecosystems were more complex than previously thought, study finds
- Soil pulled from deep under Oregon's unglaciated Coast Range unveils frosty past climate
- Mystery of how snakes lost their legs solved by reptile fossil
- Seizure risk of anti-shivering agent meperidine greatly overstated
- Immune-disorder treatment in mice holds potential for multiple sclerosis patients