A just-released Study by The Lancet and other notable international organizations says "Climate change already affects human health, and if no action is taken, problems such as malnutrition, deaths and injury due to extreme weather conditions, and change in geographical distribution of disease vectors will worsen." A Series of Papers on Household Energy, Food and Agriculture, Urban Land Transport, and Low Carbon Electricity Generation is the result of an international collaboration of scientists. The Papers make a strong case for linking climate and health goals, and through suggested strategies and case studies encourage the international and business communities to act now.
A notable mention from the Food and Agriculture Paper suggests that in order for the agricultural sector to meet the target recommended by the UK Committee on Climate Change to reduce UK
emissions from the concentrations recorded in 1990 by 80% by 2050, which would require a 50% reduction by 2030, they identified that a 30% reduction in livestock production would be needed to meet this target. In addition, the potential benefits of reduced consumption of livestock products on the burden of ischaemic heart disease shows the disease burden would decrease by about 15% in the UK.
Image Credit: The Lancet (Full Size Lancet Food, Agriculture, and Health Diagram is here)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Sam Ting On AMS Results: Dark Matter Might Be One Seminar Away
- Vitriolic Abuse Of Anita Sarkeesian: Why The Games Industry Needs Her
- Why Natural Gas, Including Fracking, Is Better For The Environment Than Wind And Solar
- BICEP2's vision wasn't that strong, Planck says their window was too dusty.
- Graphene Sensor Tracks Down Cancer Biomarkers
- Nature Communications Switching To Exclusive Open Access
- Eat More Meat, Get Lower Blood Pressure?
- "Hi Hontas. This caught my eye: That said, it may be that there simply is no strong signal of inflation..."
- "Helpful article. Thank you for sharing this to us...."
- "Helpful information. Thank you for sharing this to us...."
- "1.) Fundamentally one can never prove any theory. That's what makes a theory different from..."
- "I thank you for your comment, which I think is very important. Especially the question aboutPerhaps..."
- Could suburban sprawl be good for segregation?
- 2014 Arctic sea ice minimum sixth lowest on record
- Actions on climate change bring better health, study says
- Sandia magnetized fusion technique produces significant results
- Critically ill ICU patients lose almost all of their gut microbes and the ones left aren't good