A just-released Study by The Lancet and other notable international organizations says "Climate change already affects human health, and if no action is taken, problems such as malnutrition, deaths and injury due to extreme weather conditions, and change in geographical distribution of disease vectors will worsen." A Series of Papers on Household Energy, Food and Agriculture, Urban Land Transport, and Low Carbon Electricity Generation is the result of an international collaboration of scientists. The Papers make a strong case for linking climate and health goals, and through suggested strategies and case studies encourage the international and business communities to act now.
A notable mention from the Food and Agriculture Paper suggests that in order for the agricultural sector to meet the target recommended by the UK Committee on Climate Change to reduce UK
emissions from the concentrations recorded in 1990 by 80% by 2050, which would require a 50% reduction by 2030, they identified that a 30% reduction in livestock production would be needed to meet this target. In addition, the potential benefits of reduced consumption of livestock products on the burden of ischaemic heart disease shows the disease burden would decrease by about 15% in the UK.
Image Credit: The Lancet (Full Size Lancet Food, Agriculture, and Health Diagram is here)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Serious Physics Of Super Balls
- Machine Learning And Big Data Is Changing Sports
- Enjoy Sugar Again: High Carb Diet On Par With Caloric Restriction In Boosting Health
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Grading The President's Strategy To Promote Bee Health
- Will Female Viagra Be An FDA Boner?
- Could Better Psychology Tests Have Predicted The Germanwings Suicide Crash?
- "A huge problem most of us are facing is being unable to find a doctor that will go against cdc..."
- "Hi Roman, I know you are trying to help. Sounds a good tip - if it works for you, great. With..."
- "A journalist makes $35K so ordinarily I would say that's pretty terrible for doing all that work..."
- "I am more concerned about women eating genetically modified corn and then breast feeding.  ..."
- "As a Christian I've always believed that there are no true atheists. We are created in God's image..."
Books By Writers Here