A just-released Study by The Lancet and other notable international organizations says "Climate change already affects human health, and if no action is taken, problems such as malnutrition, deaths and injury due to extreme weather conditions, and change in geographical distribution of disease vectors will worsen." A Series of Papers on Household Energy, Food and Agriculture, Urban Land Transport, and Low Carbon Electricity Generation is the result of an international collaboration of scientists. The Papers make a strong case for linking climate and health goals, and through suggested strategies and case studies encourage the international and business communities to act now.
A notable mention from the Food and Agriculture Paper suggests that in order for the agricultural sector to meet the target recommended by the UK Committee on Climate Change to reduce UK
emissions from the concentrations recorded in 1990 by 80% by 2050, which would require a 50% reduction by 2030, they identified that a 30% reduction in livestock production would be needed to meet this target. In addition, the potential benefits of reduced consumption of livestock products on the burden of ischaemic heart disease shows the disease burden would decrease by about 15% in the UK.
Image Credit: The Lancet (Full Size Lancet Food, Agriculture, and Health Diagram is here)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Today's Global Warming Is Nothing Special
- Conservation Of Massive: When You Lose Weight, Where Does The Fat Go?
- New Limits On VY Production From CDF: Good, But Also Disappointing
- To Be Cool Kids, Are We Programmed To Make Bad Decisions?
- There Was No 'Paleo Diet' - Ancient People Ate What They Had
- Physics is too hard for women, according to female physics students
- Silica-Based Carbon-trapping 'Sponges' Can Cut Greenhouse Gases
- "it took 200,000 years for the climate to return to normal Define normal...."
- "Another article today reports that electricity, in New England, has jumped to 24 cents/ KWHr. A..."
- "In this Youtube a stray dog called Monte the dog drives a car completely by himself, on a..."
- "You can't write an article like this! It's not allowed! People are stupid and can't handle the..."
- "How absurd, we had the same warming in the 30's, the same panicked cries about a melting arctic..."
- Researchers identify new approach to diagnose blood clots in lungs of patients over 50
- Colorado River Delta greener after engineered pulse of water
- Ancient, hydrogen-rich waters discovered deep underground at locations around the world
- 'Master regulator' gene -- long tied to autism disorders -- stimulates other genes in early brain development
- Scientists open new frontier of vast chemical 'space'