A just-released Study by The Lancet and other notable international organizations says "Climate change already affects human health, and if no action is taken, problems such as malnutrition, deaths and injury due to extreme weather conditions, and change in geographical distribution of disease vectors will worsen." A Series of Papers on Household Energy, Food and Agriculture, Urban Land Transport, and Low Carbon Electricity Generation is the result of an international collaboration of scientists. The Papers make a strong case for linking climate and health goals, and through suggested strategies and case studies encourage the international and business communities to act now.
A notable mention from the Food and Agriculture Paper suggests that in order for the agricultural sector to meet the target recommended by the UK Committee on Climate Change to reduce UK
emissions from the concentrations recorded in 1990 by 80% by 2050, which would require a 50% reduction by 2030, they identified that a 30% reduction in livestock production would be needed to meet this target. In addition, the potential benefits of reduced consumption of livestock products on the burden of ischaemic heart disease shows the disease burden would decrease by about 15% in the UK.
Image Credit: The Lancet (Full Size Lancet Food, Agriculture, and Health Diagram is here)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Borexino Detector And Its Physics Results
- Olive Oil Destroys Cancer Cells
- Hospitals, Large Stores Could Use Natural Gas Fuel Cells And Get Off The Electrical Grid
- 1840s Shipwreck Leads To Important Beer Science Discovery
- Amazing Metamaterials Mechanical Properties
- Celiac Disease Is Real - Gluten Sensitivity, Not So Much
- The Law has Failed, Not Forensic Science
- "Just a sample of one, but my son’s girlfriend who was bipolar had poor reactions to pot. This..."
- "The lady with the longest confirmed human lifespan in the world was Jeanne Calment and she said..."
- "how does this stand up to the principle that similar forms of behavior should be treated consistently..."
- "My son was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. His first manic episode with psychotic features was..."
- "I think it was Penn Jillette who observed that if you applied the anti-doping rules to the Grammys..."
- Molecule found in tree leaves helps female mice combat weight gain
- Old mothers know best: Killer whale study sheds light on the evolution of menopause
- Phthalates may alter hCG pregnancy hormone levels, influence sex development
- New use for Botox: helping children with facial paralysis feel better about their smiles
- Exposure to endocrine disruptors while pregnant affects brain two generations later