Miriam over at Deep-Sea News recently posted a lovely write-up on the argonaut, or paper nautilus. This reminded me that I, too, once felt the delight of finding a live argonaut in a manta tow cod end.
So I went digging through my grad school archives and found the video I took--on a miniDV tape, which felt so futuristic then and seems so retro now. How times change.
Anyway, amateur videographer that I am, I somehow managed to splice the least horrible footage together with a voiceover to create a brief film of the awesomeness that is the argonaut.
And no, they are-go-not squid, but I found her while I was looking for squid, so that counts, right?
(That's "I Wish You Well" in the background, by Bill Withers, which makes a nice chill soundtrack for sorting plankton all night long.)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- An American Decision and the Future of Forensic Science
- Art And Science: Outreach In Venice
- School Comparisons Tell Us Little About School Performance
- Scientists And Philosophers For Donald Trump: Let Master Feng Explain The New Reality To You
- How To Stomach A Black Hole
- Anomaly! Book Of The Week At Times Higher Education
- Beall's list and what we need to replace it.
- "I don't know why my comment's formatting was lost in the transmission, so that it is now one big..."
- "“If you don't use probabilities then how else do you do it? At any rate that's not a criticism..."
- "Tomasso, Congratulations, may you enjoy a long and happy life together with Kalliopi! Best regards..."
- "Found another one : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/545975/end-of-the-world-Gods-vengeance..."
- "Thanks :). Actually there are so many fake doomsday red top tabloid stories that I tend to wait..."
- CDC Cancels Climate Change Conference. Good.
- Why Your Healthy New Year's Resolutions Fail
- New Study: Male Genital HPV Infection, Warts and All
- A New Class Of Antibiotics From Lichens? Maybe.
- The Murky History Of The Nature And Nurture Debate
- A Drug 85 Times More Potent than THC Caused 'Zombie Outbreak' in New York City