Miriam over at Deep-Sea News recently posted a lovely write-up on the argonaut, or paper nautilus. This reminded me that I, too, once felt the delight of finding a live argonaut in a manta tow cod end.
So I went digging through my grad school archives and found the video I took--on a miniDV tape, which felt so futuristic then and seems so retro now. How times change.
Anyway, amateur videographer that I am, I somehow managed to splice the least horrible footage together with a voiceover to create a brief film of the awesomeness that is the argonaut.
And no, they are-go-not squid, but I found her while I was looking for squid, so that counts, right?
(That's "I Wish You Well" in the background, by Bill Withers, which makes a nice chill soundtrack for sorting plankton all night long.)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Two Physics Blogs You Should Not Miss
- Why Vegetable Farmers Aren't On Board The No-Till Train
- Hype Or Health? Sitting Is As Bad For You As Smoking
- Advanced Racism For Dr Duke And Prof Slattery: Why Hate Jews?
- The Six-Month Cycle Of The Experimental Physicist
- The First Known Deuterostome?
- LHCb Finds Suppressed Lambda_B Decay
- "Hello Kevin, many thanks, and also for spotting that! I doubt there will be a second edition..."
- "Hi Tommaso, congratulations on your recent honeymoon! I have an errata in your book. On page 197..."
- "There's a very empirically obvious universal good - survival. Since we are humans, the only logical..."
- "...can YOU explain orbit? If so, you should be able to explain gravity, or black holes. Like I..."
- "While not sharing in your exact, specific religious beliefs, I believe that you're correct...genesis..."
- Physician ‘Gun-Gag’ Law: The Politics And The Medicine
- Physician ‘Gun-Gag’ Law Bad Politics, Worse Medicine
- When It Comes To Muscular Dystrophy Drugs, Is It Always Better To Buy American?
- Is it better to buy American?
- Bariatric Surgery More Effective Long Term Than Medical Treatment for T2 Diabetes
- Al Gore: Still Demented After All These Years