Miriam over at Deep-Sea News recently posted a lovely write-up on the argonaut, or paper nautilus. This reminded me that I, too, once felt the delight of finding a live argonaut in a manta tow cod end.
So I went digging through my grad school archives and found the video I took--on a miniDV tape, which felt so futuristic then and seems so retro now. How times change.
Anyway, amateur videographer that I am, I somehow managed to splice the least horrible footage together with a voiceover to create a brief film of the awesomeness that is the argonaut.
And no, they are-go-not squid, but I found her while I was looking for squid, so that counts, right?
(That's "I Wish You Well" in the background, by Bill Withers, which makes a nice chill soundtrack for sorting plankton all night long.)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Could Astronauts In The ISS Get All Their Oxygen & Food From Algae & Plants?
- Like Cigarettes Or Booze, E-Cigarettes Can Be Dangerous To Children
- Thou Shalt Have One Higgs - $100 Bet Won !
- The False Fear Of ‘Toxic Breast Milk’
- FDA Stiffs Go Soft On Pink Viagra
- Breast Cancer Study Misunderstood By Its Authors
- Stem Cell Research Informed Consent: What To Know
- "The most ridiculous quote of yours humans have eaten grains for thousands of years. And where exactly..."
- "I'm not saying it is fabricated, but it is only one of many scriptures in the world. The Hindus..."
- "this article is not being truthful!its basically saying biblical truth is fabricated!! no one will..."
- "Bottom line is any drug with fluoride in it should be black boxed and restricted to life and death..."
- "I agree. No need to bet to enjoy the race, whatever time it takes. I do hope that the LHC experimenters..."
Books By Writers Here