Miriam over at Deep-Sea News recently posted a lovely write-up on the argonaut, or paper nautilus. This reminded me that I, too, once felt the delight of finding a live argonaut in a manta tow cod end.
So I went digging through my grad school archives and found the video I took--on a miniDV tape, which felt so futuristic then and seems so retro now. How times change.
Anyway, amateur videographer that I am, I somehow managed to splice the least horrible footage together with a voiceover to create a brief film of the awesomeness that is the argonaut.
And no, they are-go-not squid, but I found her while I was looking for squid, so that counts, right?
(That's "I Wish You Well" in the background, by Bill Withers, which makes a nice chill soundtrack for sorting plankton all night long.)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Earthquake Hazards Research Proposals Due May 22, 2017
- BPA-Free, Here We Go Again!
- Sorry Environmentalists, DNA Causes 66% Of Cancers
- What 92 Percent Of NYT Cookbooks Fail To Tell You
- Five New Charmed Baryons Discovered By LHCb!
- NYU Journalism Department Scandal Grows - Fraud, Conflicts Of Interest, Denial
- The Redundancy Of Freud's Divide Between Psychiatry And Neurology
- "Thanks Alex, the whole matter is exciting, but also a bit depressing (in that there's a lack thereof)..."
- "Thank you for your input, Anon - I wish you were not hiding behind a finger and wrote here your..."
- "There is lattice QCD, some will say, but lattice QCD is not yet at the point where one would trust..."
- "I’ve looked at the safe temperature chart, particularly the section about eggs.When I fry eggs..."
- "Please tell me, are you a Jew? (I am almost sure, but not completely)..."
- We know metabolism plays a role in cancer development, epigenetics is less clear
- How accurate are wildlife surveys?
- Extreme ocean waves aren't due to global warming - we can just now detect them more
- Groups in tension: Why Republicans and Democrats still get along
- People remain fatter because adults have given up on losing weight - and it's society's fault