One of the more whimsical squid news stories I've seen in a while: A squid, a dog, and a mini-mystery solved at a Minnesota lake.
"Of course, squid are not found in Minnesota lakes," reports journalist Al Edenloff. So true, and so charmingly put!
Squid are not found in any lakes. Neither are octopuses, cuttlefish, or nautilus. Class Cephalopoda is exclusively marine, with the closest approximation to a freshwater representative still only tolerating a wee bit of rain with its seawater. Other mollusc groups, like snails and mussels, have members in both salt and freshwater--but not cephalopods. What's the diff?
Cornell's Ask A Scientist addressed this question back in 2005, but I find the answer rather unsatisfying. Dr. Vawter just explains why freshwater snails are good at coping with freshwater, without explaining why cephalopods haven't evolved the same tricks. Commenters at TONMO and Why Evolution Is True have also weighed in, but to my knowledge science hasn't yet got a clear answer.
At least the Minnesota mystery has a satisfying resolution!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Anomaly! Book Presentation At CERN On November 29
- Baby Boomers Unbound: Marijuana Surges In The Elderly
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Highly Effective Nanostructures From Fundamental Optimization Strategy
- Adolescent Obesity Linked To Permanent Bone Loss
- Jena's Roots In The Tree Of Life
- Immersive 3-D VR Visualizations Of Unborn Babies
- "Thank you, Patrick..."
- "I was an avid reader of sci-fi and of non-fiction books about space exploration. I may have..."
- "I imagine a conversation something like this -Space agency executive: OK, John, we want you to..."
- "Vaughn A: thanks for your contribution.This swap-over effect was predicted back in about 1958. ..."
- "Emmanuel: if you use Microsoft Word to write an article, then copy it into science 2.0 like..."
- Abortion Rate in U.S. Falls 21% in One Decade
- Child Mummy May Change Timeline for Smallpox
- On Proposed Tanning Bed Ban for Teens, New Study Urges FDA to Act
- It’s Not Brain Surgery, But do you Know What is? Brain Surgery!
- A Possible Antidote for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Surgeon General Declares War on E-Cigarettes But Not Marijuana, Hookah