One of the more whimsical squid news stories I've seen in a while: A squid, a dog, and a mini-mystery solved at a Minnesota lake.
"Of course, squid are not found in Minnesota lakes," reports journalist Al Edenloff. So true, and so charmingly put!
Squid are not found in any lakes. Neither are octopuses, cuttlefish, or nautilus. Class Cephalopoda is exclusively marine, with the closest approximation to a freshwater representative still only tolerating a wee bit of rain with its seawater. Other mollusc groups, like snails and mussels, have members in both salt and freshwater--but not cephalopods. What's the diff?
Cornell's Ask A Scientist addressed this question back in 2005, but I find the answer rather unsatisfying. Dr. Vawter just explains why freshwater snails are good at coping with freshwater, without explaining why cephalopods haven't evolved the same tricks. Commenters at TONMO and Why Evolution Is True have also weighed in, but to my knowledge science hasn't yet got a clear answer.
At least the Minnesota mystery has a satisfying resolution!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lettuces Now, What Next - Could Astronauts Get All Their Oxygen And Food From Algae Or Plants?
- Innate GMO Potato Deregulated By USDA
- Fetal Attraction: How Baby Cells Impact Maternal Health During Pregnancy
- An Argument For Legalizing Doping In Sports
- Spiky Filaments For Egg Fusion: Sperm Wield Tiny Harpoons
- An Historical Moment For Diabetes
- Thou Shalt Have One Higgs - $100 Bet Won !
- "I'll take this with a grain for now..."
- "They even bought off the nongmo project and convinced cereal companies to add poison to get us..."
- "This originated as my answer to the Quora question: Why doesn't NASA have plants inside space..."
- "I mean both type of diabetes, because:Klahr and Bricker: Energetics of Anaerobic Sodium Transport..."
- "Monsanto can buy nearly anyone it seems. SHAME!..."
- Where bread began: Ancient tools used to reconstruct (and eat) prehistoric cuisine
- Study links air pollution to children's low GPAs
- Fetal attraction: The alien within influences maternal health during pregnancy
- Can eagles be saved from wind turbines?
- Is failure to reproduce psychology papers a sign they are invalid?
Books By Writers Here