One of the more whimsical squid news stories I've seen in a while: A squid, a dog, and a mini-mystery solved at a Minnesota lake.
"Of course, squid are not found in Minnesota lakes," reports journalist Al Edenloff. So true, and so charmingly put!
Squid are not found in any lakes. Neither are octopuses, cuttlefish, or nautilus. Class Cephalopoda is exclusively marine, with the closest approximation to a freshwater representative still only tolerating a wee bit of rain with its seawater. Other mollusc groups, like snails and mussels, have members in both salt and freshwater--but not cephalopods. What's the diff?
Cornell's Ask A Scientist addressed this question back in 2005, but I find the answer rather unsatisfying. Dr. Vawter just explains why freshwater snails are good at coping with freshwater, without explaining why cephalopods haven't evolved the same tricks. Commenters at TONMO and Why Evolution Is True have also weighed in, but to my knowledge science hasn't yet got a clear answer.
At least the Minnesota mystery has a satisfying resolution!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Why Has Climate Change Taken So Long?
- Odds of Intelligent life on the TRAPPIST-1 planets : NOT Great.
- Book News And A Clip
- Neural Networks: Why Human Brains Are More Susceptible To Mental Illness Than Smaller Ones
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- "nuclear power industry is also subsidized by the federal gov't...."
- "Please be patient. Despite what the Nibiru fearmongers say, I'm not paid to do this (if only :)..."
- "Dear Tilly,Great, glad to have helped.With the contrails, well one factor surely is that we have..."
- "An electronic version will be published, but the printed matter will come first.Best,T...."
- "Many thanks for spotting this. I contacted the typesetting team and they'll fix this (uniforming..."
- Parasite proteins prompt immune system to fight off ovarian tumors in mice
- Behavioral activation as effective as CBT for depression, at lower cost
- The Lancet: Simpler, cheaper psychological treatment as effective as cognitive behavioural therapy for treating depression
- Ultrasensitive sensor using N-doped graphene
- Brain activity and response to food cues differ in severely obese women, UTSW study shows