One of the more whimsical squid news stories I've seen in a while: A squid, a dog, and a mini-mystery solved at a Minnesota lake.
"Of course, squid are not found in Minnesota lakes," reports journalist Al Edenloff. So true, and so charmingly put!
Squid are not found in any lakes. Neither are octopuses, cuttlefish, or nautilus. Class Cephalopoda is exclusively marine, with the closest approximation to a freshwater representative still only tolerating a wee bit of rain with its seawater. Other mollusc groups, like snails and mussels, have members in both salt and freshwater--but not cephalopods. What's the diff?
Cornell's Ask A Scientist addressed this question back in 2005, but I find the answer rather unsatisfying. Dr. Vawter just explains why freshwater snails are good at coping with freshwater, without explaining why cephalopods haven't evolved the same tricks. Commenters at TONMO and Why Evolution Is True have also weighed in, but to my knowledge science hasn't yet got a clear answer.
At least the Minnesota mystery has a satisfying resolution!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Neil Tyson On The Politics Of Science Denial
- Global 'Roadmap' Shows Where To Put Roads Without Costing The Earth
- Synaptic Plasticity And Memory In Silent Neurons
- Low Carb Vs. Low Fat Diets: Which Is Better?
- Wockhardt Is First Indian Pharmaceutical Company To Get FDA QIDP Status
- Raloxifene: X-Ray Scattering Reveals A New Mode Of Action For Osteoporosis Drug
- How The Higgs Became The Target Of Run 2 At The Tevatron
- "Helen,Indeed, you are right to be angry about such things. But I will only give two short..."
- "My Facebook Toxic Blue Green Algae Awareness Community webpage can now be found at https://www..."
- "That's why I deleted the comment Robert! I had just read an article about people beheading and..."
- "So ignore the data that shows the Antarctic breaking ice extent records. Ignore the water displacement..."
- "You don't think science media is a lot better about calling out anti-science on both political..."
- Plant life forms in the fossil record: When did the first canopy flowers appear?
- War between bacteria and phages benefits humans
- Migrating birds sprint in spring, but take things easy in autumn
- Nano-forests to reveal secrets of cells
- Scientists find possible neurobiological basis for tradeoff between honesty, self-interest