Honestly, media. *polishes obnoxious academic spectacles* Is it really that difficult to comprehend the difference between "inseminate" and "impregnate"?
On Thursday I reported that a woman's mouth had been inseminated by a squid she was eating. To be specific, squid spermatophores (packages of sperm) implanted themselves into her mucus membranes, and had to be removed by a doctor.
Several sources have now erroneously reported that a woman was impregnated by a squid she was eating, and found baby squid in her mouth. Truth is strange--but this is fiction. "Impregnate" (in reproduction, not manufacturing) means that successful fertilization has already taken place: sperm met with egg and an embryo is developing. That did not happen. There was no impregnation, no pregnancy, and no baby squid.
Just a little review of human reproduction: females keep eggs in ovaries, and once a menstrual cycle an egg migrates down a fallopian tube into the uterus. When this happens, if the female is inseminated, and if the sperm happens to meet the egg, then she can be impregnated (become pregnant).
All this happens very, very far away from the mouth.
And even if you tried to mix human eggs with squid sperm (or human sperm with squid eggs), I can promise that no embryo would come of it. The gametes are so different as to be totally incompatible.
So: nobody ever got pregnant from eating squid, or from any other contact with squid, and furthermore, it is not possible to become pregnant from eating squid, or from any other contact with squid.
These are squid spermatophores, like those that jabbed themselves into the diner's mouth:
These are squid babies, which were nowhere near the scene of the crime:
Up next: awesome research from José Eduardo Marian, a huge spermatophore nerd (yes, even more than me). He actually got to study some of the spermatophores from the medical case study, and discovered some clues about how they work!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Increase In Volcanic Eruptions At The End Of The Ice Age Caused By Melting Ice Caps And Erosion
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- Teens Are More Caring When They Feel Support From Others
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- Can Animals Thrive Without Oxygen?
- Stop Using BMI To Determine Health
- "I know, that's precisely why I want more ;)..."
- "Thanks Andrea, I will try... I've already published something from (2) above a couple of days ago..."
- "My wish list: 1) some clips from the material I discarded from the book (because of its controversial..."
- "for conservatives, the issue is punishing women for having sex. they also do not like uppity scientists..."
- "Liber (Dionysius in Greece) because he is one of the few major Roman gods that does not already..."
- Florida Declares Zika Virus State of Emergency
- Indonesia’s Many Human Physical Deformities: A Closer Look
- Spinal ‘Column’: Love for Hunchback Dog, Breakthrough for 8-Yr-Old Girl
- BMI is Bologna
- Energy Drinks: The Dose Makes the Poison
- California’s Prop 65: Bad For Public Acceptance Of Science, About To Get Worse
- Study compares effectiveness of phone-based and web-based smoking cessation programs in four states
- Treatments that reduce knee buckling may help prevent falls in older adults
- Faces of black children as young as 5 evoke negative biases
- Agricultural policies in Africa could be harming the poorest
- Cambridge researcher develops smartphone app to map Swiss-German dialects