Very cool news- a ROV recently dove to the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench. Here's the basics over at Discover.
I can't wait until they release more images. It's very exciting that technology is starting to catch up with our desire to know more about the oceans, and pictures of crazy ocean critters are good attention-getters, particularly for my students. (Also, the kid inside me can't help but hope that the bottom of the Marianas Trench is kinda like this.)
If you know anyone who needs inspiration to be interested in our oceans, tell them to check out Sylvia Earle's TED talk.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Smoking, Drinking And Eating: It's Not About Your Freedom
- Coffee Lowers Risk Of Alzheimer's Up To 20 Percent
- Diversity Fatigue: Why Businesses Struggle To Close The Gender Gap
- Like Collaboration And Intelligence In Humans? Thank War
- A Disturbance In The Force: 'Giant' Charge Density Oscillation Discovered In Nanomaterials
- "I was looking at The Winnower again this morning, which led me back here. I tried to comment on..."
- "There is no question they were created to cater to universities and are staffed by people from..."
- "And my second link should be not a copy of the first, but this: http://www.nature.com/news/half..."
- "Recently I saw The Conversation remove/censor legitimate comments arguing against an article written..."
- tags because there's no testing..." href="/robert_inventor/why_we_cant_backup_earth_on_mars_the_moon_or_anywhere_else_in_our_solar_system-148364#comment-182183">"Robert, you might want to reformat my post. I intended to highlight only the headlines for easy..."
- Behavioral interventions to prevent progression to diabetes equally effective in men and women
- Gender differences in adaptation to space flight
- Long-term complication rate low in nose job using patient's own rib cartilage
- Survival differences seen for advanced-stage laryngeal cancer
- Effect of once-daily, low-dose aspirin on heart attack deaths and other outcomes