Very cool news- a ROV recently dove to the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench. Here's the basics over at Discover.
I can't wait until they release more images. It's very exciting that technology is starting to catch up with our desire to know more about the oceans, and pictures of crazy ocean critters are good attention-getters, particularly for my students. (Also, the kid inside me can't help but hope that the bottom of the Marianas Trench is kinda like this.)
If you know anyone who needs inspiration to be interested in our oceans, tell them to check out Sylvia Earle's TED talk.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- We Don't Hear Much About The 10,000 French Deaths At Gallipoli
- Columbia's Lame Oz Defense
- Sorry Star Trek Fans, Tau Ceti Is Not The Next Earth
- Arginine Deprivation May Be A Potential Cause For Alzheimer's
- Yellowstone Volcanic System Four Times Bigger Than Thought
- Offenbach in Athens
- The Evolutionary Psychology Reason Some People Will Be Anti-GMO
- "I am just gob smacked that Oz has not been reined in by your authorities. He airs here in Australia..."
- "Agreed. There was a very famous runner named Jim Fixx, entirely ignorant of medical genetics..."
- "I'm a concert pianist. Should I be giving flute lessons? ..."
- "I meant to say my wife mentioned some treatment for whatever that Dr Oz mentioned on his show...."
- "I'm no mental giant, but I picked up on the snake oil salesmanship qualities of Dr Oz years ago..."