Science & Society
- Crime Lab Report- New Book Calls For Expert Witnesses To Work Directly For Judges
Forensic science does not prove guilt or innocence. It never has and it never will. The next time you hear about DNA evidence, for example, proving the guilt or innocence of a suspect in a violent crime, rest assured that you are being misinformed. In cour ...
Article - John M. Collins - Nov 18 2019 - 6:39pm
- Manufacture Of Consent: Why Democracy Has A Major Mass-Media Problem
Before Chomsky, there was Lippmann: the First World War and ‘manufactured consent.’ While the ‘manufacture of consent’ is an idea now mostly associated with Noam Chomsky, the phrase was actually coined by the US journalist and writer Walter Lippman in his ...
Article - News Staff - Nov 21 2019 - 7:25pm
- This Holiday, Give Thanks For Affordable Food- And The Farmers Who Only Get 8 Cents Of Every Dollar For Making It
You know you are in a wealthy country when there are articles about how people are depressed if they can't get a $2,000 Macbook, young people can talk about how bored they are, and poor families live in more square footage than the middle class in Fra ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Nov 22 2019 - 5:01am
- Gary Hirshberg And Stonyfield Learn That Casual Sexism Is No Longer Okay
Stonyfield Farm, an organic corporation started by Samuel Kaymen in 1983, really rocketed to prominence when its then president, Gary Hirshberg, discovered a way to increase his market share with not much marketing cost at all: where most companies market ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Nov 22 2019 - 10:07am
- Reefer Madness And Seduction Of The Innocent Are Now The Anti-Vaping M.O.
The 1950s were the first sign that with a booming economy, progressive busy-bodies were going to once again turn their sights on controlling behavior. Though Prohibition had ended the Puritan Piety attack on alcohol, and Hitler had put a halt to progressiv ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Nov 22 2019 - 1:03pm
- 5 Common Questions About Why SciComm Writes
I got an email from a young person at a university stating they were working on a research paper, and while many in the science and scicomm community are jaded about such requests- we are doing someone's homework for them, it is said- I always answer. ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Dec 3 2019 - 5:01am
- PLOS Removed Its Hatchet Job Against Kevin Folta- But The Problem Of Media Spin Remains
In February, a blogger at journal publisher Public Library of Science (PLOS), issued a random, unsubstantiated smear against the organization I now run, the American Council on Science and Health- she claimed, bizarrely, that we lost our credibility deca ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Dec 3 2019 - 11:36am
- Experts Suggest Trump Kim Summit Agreement Could Include Combined Civilian Space And Nuclear Program For Both Koreas
Two experts, Carlin, a former analyst for the CIA and the State Department widely regarded as one of the top experts on North Korea in the world, and Hecker, former director of the Los Alamos Laboratory for over a decade, have just released a suggestion f ...
Article - Robert Walker - Dec 6 2019 - 12:16am
- North Korea’s “Christmas Gift”- Keeping Door Open For Talks- Maybe Alternative Is A Geostationary Satellite Launch?
First whatever happens- Kim might do something dramatic maybe but his aim would be to get the talks back on track. It would not lead to war no matter what. Neither side has any benefit from a war. They are trading threats again, but they are empty bluffs. ...
Article - Robert Walker - Dec 6 2019 - 9:31am
- Tesla Truck Showed Us The Future And Lost Musk Over 768 Million
W e are living in the future of our past. Tesla has had the guts to unveil a truck that looks futuristic and paid the price. If in 2040 we still drive cars that look like they do now, and work like they do now we’ll know why. It will be because we have ...
Blog Post - Hontas Farmer - Dec 6 2019 - 10:21pm