Science & Society
- 'Truthers' Are The Norm, Which Is Why You Should Stop Reading Scientific American Right Now
Joel Moskowitz, Ph.D., of Berkeley is the kind of anti-science "truther" that even most west coast activists steer clear of, because he makes all of the social sciences look bad by association. Worse, he is a "social" psychologist, whic ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Oct 23 2019 - 1:02pm
- Michael Shermer And Lady Gaga Fight For The Future Of Your Brain
I have to be honest, if a casual question arose like 'who would you believe on science topics, Michael Shermer or Lady Gaga?' I would side with Shermer. I know, I know, that is a vicious stereotype and I haven't read every single thing Lady ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Oct 24 2019 - 2:50pm
- Economists Claim Air Pollution Caused 10,000 More Deaths Due To Trump- It's Political Nonsense
Wildfires happen multiple times per year here in California, we even make light of it by joking "the mudslides will put out the wildfires" when the seasons turn. Given that pollution surges due to fires are well-documented here, it would seem ob ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Oct 30 2019 - 2:27pm
- Game Of Throats: Is Scotch Still King Of Whisky?
It’s been a disappointing couple of weeks for the Scotch whisky industry. Diageo reported that it is delaying plans on a £1 billion new-build distillery just north of Inverness following a slow-down in the company’s key whisky markets, particularly Latin ...
Article - The Conversation - Oct 30 2019 - 9:29pm
- The LA Times On Ghosts, Aliens And Why Paranormal Belief Is Good For Us
I’m used to some American media outlets shamelessly feeding crap to the public. Think Fox so-called News, for instance. But the Los Angeles Times? That’s supposed to be one of the most highly respectable papers in the country, on par with the New York Tim ...
Article - Massimo Pigliucci - Oct 31 2019 - 2:16pm
- Our Population Is NOT Headed For Accelerating Collapse In Next 20 Years- Elon Musk And Jack Ma Are Not Population Experts
This is a story running in the news, even on the BBC website, which is scaring a few people. There isn't any prediction of an accelerating population collapse. Indeed our population is increasing and is expected to level off some time between 2050 an ...
Article - Robert Walker - Nov 2 2019 - 4:54pm
- CDC: Autism Jumped 30 Percent Since 2012- What It Really Means
America has seen a 30 percent rise in autism since the last estimate in 2012, according to the Centers for Disease Control. That's a big jump, an epidemic even. Mainstream media is going to have a field day and everyone will be looking for ways to dem ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Nov 4 2019 - 11:38am
- Pre-Registration, Data Sharing, And Registered Reports Are How The Science Community Can Reduce Shoddy Research
Last month, Indonesia’s previous Minister of Research and Technology boasted that in 2019, Indonesia had overtaken Malaysia and Singapore in the number of published academic articles. ...
Article - The Conversation - Nov 7 2019 - 4:00am
- Government Is The Sugar Daddy Of Science, Not The Epsteins Of The World
Writers are going to find a way to make their work topical. The most important article I ever wrote (in my estimation), in the Wall Street Journal, came out about five weeks after I wrote it, and with a different lede. The news cycle had kept pushing it ba ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Nov 7 2019 - 11:50am
- Grouping Staff And Company Floor Plans: Elite Co-Workers Up Everyone's Game, But Toxic Ones Kill Productivity
Scholars analyzing the performance at a large technology firm examined the productivity in a 25-foot radius around their best performers and found that these workers did inspire better performance in coworkers- by 15 percent. Poor workers impacted their ne ...
Article - News Staff - Nov 11 2019 - 10:15am