Science & Society
- Business Insider Takes A Trip Down 2019 Chemophobia Lane
Thanks to COVID-19, the public has gotten a lot more skeptical about claims that chemicals, food, and medicine are corporate conspiracies created to replace natural products that worked just fine. Even more ridiculous has been the belief that millions and ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Jun 3 2020 - 12:41pm
- Alice In Wonderland Sanctioning In Wikipedia- Blocked For Covering NASA's Science Goal To Search For Habitats For Life On Mars‽
If you search Wikipedia for present day habitats on Mars, then you will find many articles about Mars colonization, but on the idea that there might be microhabitats for present day life there, you'll find almost nothing. You'll find my Present ...
Article - Robert Walker - Jun 9 2020 - 8:40am
- Epidemiologists Advocate For Warning Labels On Soda- And Hope California Will Notice
A team of epidemiologists who correlate specific types of calories, rather than simply too many calories, to obesity have written a new paper advocating for cigarette-style warning labels on soda. ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Jun 10 2020 - 4:16pm
- Spike In Celebrity Suicides During COVID-19 May Bring Focus On Depression In Pregnant Women Too
There have been more celebrity suicides during the COVID-19 pandemic and while tragic, they may help to bring great awareness to the risks of depression and anxiety in other populations at all times. Such as pregnant and postpartum women. ...
Article - News Staff - Jun 22 2020 - 1:14pm
- Coronavirus Has Seen A Surge In Phone Scams: Here's How To Spot And Foil Them
Most of us have experienced unwanted calls at home. This is in spite of efforts by regulators, including the Information Commissioner’s Office and Ofcom, whose most recent report shows that around half of the UK population still receive nuisance calls. Ma ...
Article - The Conversation - Jun 25 2020 - 8:49am
- Would More Women In Academic Medicine Leadership Roles Have Improved Coronavirus Response?
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) were shown to be a bureaucratic mess when the coronavirus pandemic hit- refusing to send coronavirus tests unless hospitals first proved proved patients had coronavirus, then sending faulty reagents ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Jun 25 2020 - 12:04pm
- Will The Media Retract Their 'Breathless' Warnings Of Insect Armageddon?
Are insects facing survival challenges? Of course, the evidence in support of reasonable concerns is overwhelming. The important questions are: how serious is the decline; is it accelerating; what are its causes; and how can we address them? Those are not ...
Article - Jon Entine - Jun 29 2020 - 10:05am
- The Earth IS Round: Prove It To Yourself
F lat earthers are a thing in 2020. Here is a simple do at home proof it is round given a large enough area of apparently flat land. Take a tripod like one would use for a camera and mount a laser pointer on it. Lasers have the feature of being very wel ...
Blog Post - Hontas Farmer - Jul 1 2020 - 7:25pm
- Sorry Science, By High School 4X As Many Women As Men Want To Enter Medical Fields Instead
There are more women getting degrees in the life science, social science, and pre-med fields, while more men graduate in engineering and physics. Some contend that is gender bias introduced at a young age, but since education is 70 percent women it is diff ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Jul 2 2020 - 1:49pm
- White Fragility: So Many Opinions From People Who Have Clearly Not Read The Book. More OPINION
W hite Fragility by Robin DiAngelo for quite a while. While I have not read it I did watch a very long presentation by DiAngelo on the book which has to be the next best thing. She is a brilliant presenter, and anyone be you Kyle Kulinski or Tucker Carl ...
Blog Post - Hontas Farmer - Jul 8 2020 - 9:01pm