- Interpreting The Predictions Of Deep Neural Networks
CERN has equipped itself with an inter-experimental working group on Machine Learning since a couple of years. Besides organizing monthly meetings and other activities fostering the dissemination of knowledge and active research on the topic, the group hol ...
Article - Tommaso Dorigo - Apr 10 2018 - 9:45am
- Twitter Is The Place To Go For Fake News
If you want to spread fake news, and rarely have it corrected, Twitter is the best way to go, according to a new analysis. Experience does not help. Instead, the social media platform’s most active users are complicit in detecting and spreading falsehoods, ...
Article - News Staff - May 14 2018 - 10:18am
- 70 Years Ago, The Polaroid Camera Came To Market- And A Science Boom Followed
It probably happens every minute of the day: A little girl demands to see the photo her parent has just taken of her. Today, thanks to smartphones and other digital cameras, we can see snapshots immediately, whether we want to or not. But in 1944 when 3-y ...
Article - The Conversation - May 20 2018 - 8:35am
- Focused Ultrasound To Treat 'Giggling' Epilepsy- 'Grey's Anatomy' Shows Off Cutting Edge Science
Epilepsy is no laughing matter- except for one rare form, caused by hypothalamic hamartomas, benign masses in the brain that can cause epilepsy symptoms, unintentional giggling seizures and even early puberty. This actual science appeared in the medical me ...
Article - News Staff - May 30 2018 - 8:33am
- AI May Improve Medical Diagnostics- But The Limit Is Algorithms
A.I.- artificial intelligence- has seen a resurgence of buzzword activity. It's the Internet of Things for 2018. But if the limitation is the algorithm underneath, it's not really AI. ...
Article - News Staff - Jul 9 2018 - 10:59am
- Hepatitis B In Africa Might Be Solved With A $20 Test
Sub-Saharan Africa has around 80 million people infected with hepatitis B, a liver infection caused by the hepatitis B virus, but it infects around 250 million people worldwide. It can be a mild illness lasting a few weeks or a serious, lifelong condition ...
Article - News Staff - Jul 21 2018 - 6:00am
- A Hoax Academic Paper About How Politicians Wipe Their Butts Was Published- And I Did It
I had what seemed like rather a good idea a few weeks back. Building on some prominent findings in social psychology, I hypothesized that politicians on the right would wipe their bum with their left hand; and that politicians on the left would wipe with ...
Article - The Conversation - Jul 22 2018 - 6:00am
- State Attorneys General File To Block Open Source Information- Because The Info Is A Printed Gun
The Attorneys General of Democratic states Washington, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Maryland, New York (plus the District of Columbia) are filing a lawsuit against the Trump administration to block the open source distribut ...
Article - News Staff - Jul 30 2018 - 2:27pm
- 3D Printed Gun Files Still Available. The Archive Isn’t Secret. Internet Censorship Is Almost Pointless.
D efense Distributed it’s 3 D gun printing plans are still available on the web if you know where to look. This archive is not secret. I will not say the name of because everyone should know its name. Everyone should know that everything they put on the w ...
Blog Post - Hontas Farmer - Aug 1 2018 - 10:33am
- Ray Tracing Is Back Again. Is It Real This Time? Nvidia Thinks So
Ray tracing has been a hot topic since...well, at least 350 B.C. in the western world, when Aristotle described his camera obscura and wrote that the eye is 'a darkened chamber awaiting light.' Da Vinci was fascinated by it, as was Descartes. And ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Aug 22 2018 - 9:44am