Archaeologists have unearthed an almost 2,400-year-old treasure in an ancient Thracian tomb in northern Bulgaria. The Thracians lived in Bulgaria and parts of modern Greece, Romania, Macedonia, and Turkey from 4,000 B.C. until they were wiped out and assimilated by invading Slavs in the 7th century AD.
The treasure was found near the village of Sveshtari, 250 miles northeast of Sofia, team leader Diana Gergova said. Among the artifacts, dating back to the end of the fourth or the beginning of the third century B.C., were gold jewelry and applications for horse trappings, a tiara with reliefs of lions and fantasy animals, as well as four bracelets and a ring.
Credit: AP Photo/ImpactPressGroup. Link: Boston Globe
Archaeologists discover Thracian golden jewelry - Associated Press
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Nibiru "Blood Moon" Video Is Internet Hoax - Kudos To Independent For Hoax Debunking Article
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- A Great Blitz Game
- On Sexuality, You Weren't Born That Way, Says Paper
- Beekeeping Fad And The Stress Of Traveling Is Harmful To Bees
- Your Coffee Habits May Be Written In Your DNA
- Petition: Let's End Dramatized Reporting Of "Doomsday" Stories - The Vulnerable Get Suicidal
- "Yes I agree, it's especially sad when very young children get worried about this stuff, when there's..."
- "LocalFluff - just to say I didn't delete your comment on Stuart's post, or hide it - it was automatically..."
- "Yes I agree. I think there is a lot of hope as well, there are many who are working to save the..."
- "Oh that was just a joke. We have a way of telling jokes in the UK that we use sometimes - a very..."
- "Kaylee, oh sorry to hear that. Yes I know what you mean, from others who are in the same situation..."
- Another Kardashian Craze Debunked
- Fad Friday: Ditch The Body Wrap!
- Commonly Cited Stat of 10 Bacteria for Every 1 Human Cell Is Wrong
- Why The EpiPen And Other Generic Drugs Are So Expensive
- Latest IARC Report Connects Fatness with More Cancers
- Fact Checking Mylan Claims They Raised The EpiPen Price Because of Improvements
- Physician advice to patients on e-cigarettes varies, reveals knowledge gaps, study shows
- Discovery of a novel Wnt inhibitor with potential to eradicate colorectal cancer stem cells
- Novel inhibitory brain receptor may be mechanism for remission of epilepsy in adolescence
- Vouchers help get health goods to those most in need
- X-raying the Earth with waves from stormy weather 'bombs'