What exactly should they do when a despised English monarch is found under a provincial car park?
He wasn't buried under a car park, of course. He was buried in a monastery, which was disbanded by King Henry VIII when he created the Anglican Church so he could get a divorce. Richard's story came at the end of the War of the Roses, he was the last Plantagenet king, so the people of York think he should be buried there. A minority contends he should be moved to London to be with his wife but Leicester is saying they should keep him where he has been for more than 500 years. Reburying him as a Catholic is far less controversial today than the potential tourism money.
Will a new war break out over his remains? Richard III would be delighted. DNA results won't be available until December so there is still time to speculate what will happen.
Tug-of-war over king Richard III's bones By Agence France-Presse
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Matter Can Potentially Accelerate The Expansion Of The Universe
- Metal Hip Replacements Implanted Since 2006 More Prone To Failure
- Unique Fragment From Earth’s Formation Returns Home
- The Number Of My Publications Has Four Digits
- Does lower literacy make you a sucker for online health ads?
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- The Universe, Where Space-time Becomes Discrete
- "Even using Wikipedia, an illustration of the conventional prejudice on the matter energy density..."
- "In Reading University Library there is a most interesting book Felix Klein and Sophus Lie by I..."
- "Correction (will merge this into the article later): Orange dwarf stars have lifetimes of 15 -..."
- "Lobos, after what you say about academia, I still wander why you keep the Harvard Veritas coat..."
- "For a pedagogical introduction to the Friedmann equations, see for instance this set of lectures..."
- Parents' presence at bedside found to decrease neonatal abstinence syndrome severity
- Breastfeeding app shows promise in supporting first-time mothers
- Study shows asthma-related Twitter posts can predict rise in hospital visits
- Mental health diagnoses rise significantly for military children
- Combination of face-to-face and online bullying may pack a powerful punch