What exactly should they do when a despised English monarch is found under a provincial car park?
He wasn't buried under a car park, of course. He was buried in a monastery, which was disbanded by King Henry VIII when he created the Anglican Church so he could get a divorce. Richard's story came at the end of the War of the Roses, he was the last Plantagenet king, so the people of York think he should be buried there. A minority contends he should be moved to London to be with his wife but Leicester is saying they should keep him where he has been for more than 500 years. Reburying him as a Catholic is far less controversial today than the potential tourism money.
Will a new war break out over his remains? Richard III would be delighted. DNA results won't be available until December so there is still time to speculate what will happen.
Tug-of-war over king Richard III's bones By Agence France-Presse
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- New Results From The LHC At 13 TeV!
- The Science Behind Distillation
- Epigenetics: Quackery Or Phenomenon?
- 3D Printed ‘Smart Cap’ Can Detect Spoiled Food
- No other way
- Kenya Example: How Re-Analyzing Scientific Research Data Can Change The Findings
- Kepler 452b - Things That Could Go Wrong With Habitability & If It Is - Could We Detect Intelligent Life There?
- "Well, thanks - indeed I have the same impression :) And I do share your feelings about the recruitment..."
- "Exactly - the newest generation of hep C drugs have also drawn a lot of fire, but direct comparisons..."
- "The fervor surrounding the high costs of newcancer medications has many calling for government..."
- "I didn't really misunderstand, but I think what I was pointing out, fits into your system discussion..."
- "I’m not at all surprised by this. The idea that the Greeks used the golden ratio in everything..."
- Very early birth correlated to introversion, neuroticism, and risk aversion in adulthood
- Personality disorders drive psychiatric patients to euthanasia
- Schizophrenia's 'Rosetta Stone' gene identified
- Plasmonic superfast fluorescence sets new speed record
- Residential tourism increased earthquake risk, says sociologist
Books By Writers Here