What exactly should they do when a despised English monarch is found under a provincial car park?
He wasn't buried under a car park, of course. He was buried in a monastery, which was disbanded by King Henry VIII when he created the Anglican Church so he could get a divorce. Richard's story came at the end of the War of the Roses, he was the last Plantagenet king, so the people of York think he should be buried there. A minority contends he should be moved to London to be with his wife but Leicester is saying they should keep him where he has been for more than 500 years. Reburying him as a Catholic is far less controversial today than the potential tourism money.
Will a new war break out over his remains? Richard III would be delighted. DNA results won't be available until December so there is still time to speculate what will happen.
Tug-of-war over king Richard III's bones By Agence France-Presse
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Kudos To "The Independent" Newspaper For Debunking Nibiru "Blood Moon" Hoax
- USDA Microbiologist Warns Bacteria In Vaping Products May Be A Health Concern
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- Control Cancer By Making The Tumor Cell Environment Hostile
- A Great Blitz Game
- Gödel,Frenkel, Kurzweil, and Hawkins on AI
- Beekeeping Fad And The Stress Of Traveling Is Harmful To Bees
- "Stacey, I already have. But sometimes I find new ways to explain these things which seem to help..."
- "Mr walker please would you be able to demonstrate how this cant be real or at least show hard evidence..."
- "germs, microbes, bacteria, etc.apparently cannot feed on pg, vg, or nicotine. The flavorings commonly..."
- "Oh, I wonder if you were lucky enough to see a rare sun mirage? Actually every time you see..."
- "I dont know much about this topic, however, I am certain of what I saw yesterday at sunset and..."
- Breast Cancer: Genomics May Show Where Chemo Might Not Be Needed
- Gallup Poll: Great Example of How to Bias a Social Science Study
- Another Kardashian Craze Debunked
- Fad Friday: Ditch The Body Wrap!
- Commonly Cited Stat of 10 Bacteria for Every 1 Human Cell Is Wrong
- Why The EpiPen And Other Generic Drugs Are So Expensive
- Activity tracker uses heart rate to personalize amount of exercise needed to prevent death
- Moderate physical activity linked with 50 percent reduction in cardiovascular death in over-65s
- 20 cent school intervention stops unhealthy weight gain in children
- Low socioeconomic status associated with higher risk of second heart attack or stroke
- Smartphone detects atrial fibrillation with existing hardware