If you haven't seen the movie "Up", you should. It's a cartoon but it tells a more authentic love story in a three-minute montage than every Katherine Heigl movie combined.
And it has inspired a 2,500 mile trip for Jonathan Trappe. The only thing keeping him up? 365 helium balloons.
Balloonists have wanted to cross the Atlantic for decades but there is a 'demon in the air' and five have died while no one succeeded. Trappe got attention flying across the English Channel so he is crowd-sourcing the funding for this new, much more expensive endeavor. He also expects to set an altitude record in the process - 25,000 feet up.
'Up' adventurer plans flight across Atlantic with 365 balloons - Telegraph
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Erupting Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Sits On A Massive Magma Hot Spot
- Genetically Modified Stem Cells Kill Brain Tumors
- Climate Change Caused By The Ocean
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- How Gut Bacteria Ensure A Healthy Brain – and Could Play A Role In Treating Depression
- Psychiatry Should Switch From Symptom-based Prescriptions To Target-based
- We're Too Late To Prevent 137,000 More Ebola Cases, Says Epidemiology Paper
- "A lower range of likely values for climate sensitivity, a larger role from the oceans, if..."
- "But do you understand that these futuristic machines may also be used to study the property of..."
- "Both in this article and the press release from ASU Biodesign are carefully worded allusion to..."
- "These are idiotic concerns. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs aren't always used to treat inflammation..."
- "So 'volcano boarding' is apparently a thing for the well-to-do hipster extreme sports community..."
- How to sell a toxic pesticide the smart way–call it organic
- Leftist dystopia? Anti-technology fever animates opposition to GMOs and other ‘disruptive’ technologies
- CDC faced a nearly impossible balancing act with Ebola, and failed
- Why Chobani reversed course, making yoghurt only from milk from cows not fed GMO grain
- Monterey, California, hotbed of anti-GMO activism, home to new GMO corn farm
- Evolution is sometimes messy or even outright ridiculous