Americans sometimes believe things have to be expensive, from science to technology. Yet getting adopted by the masses is the road to long-term success so a country that can make a microscope out of bamboo for $4 is now putting a tablet computer in reach for its poorest people - a fraction of what the hyper-priced iPad retails for.
Developer Datawind is selling the tablets to the government for about $45 each, and subsidies will reduce that to $35 for students and teachers. In comparison, the cheapest Apple iPad tablet costs $499, while the recently announced Kindle Fire will sell for $199. India is the 9th largest economy but it's per capita GDP is $3,339 so those more expensive devices would only be available for the wealthiest.
India announces $35 tablet computer for rural poor by Katy Daigle, Associated Press
An Indian student poses with the supercheap Aakash tablet computer which she received during its launch in New Delhi, India, Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2011. The $35 basic touch screen tablet aimed at students can be used for functions like word processing, web browsing and video conferencing. Aakash, manufactured by DataWind, has a 7" Android 2.2 touch screen and a HD video coprocessor. The Indian government intends to deliver 10 million tablets to students across India. (AP Photo/Gurinder Osan) Copyright 2011 Associated Press.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Getting Married
- Scientists For Trump In Spite Of Vaccine Autism And Climate Comments
- Biomarkers Predict How Well People Age
- Eugene Cernan, Hometown Astronaut of Bellwood Illinois dead at 82.
- Anomaly! At 35% Discount For Ten More Days
- Debunked: World To End After Two Snowy Days In Salento, Puglia, Southern Italy, Tears On Macedonia Icon
- The Three Cubes Problem
- "I don't know why my comment's formatting was lost in the transmission, so that it is now one big..."
- "“If you don't use probabilities then how else do you do it? At any rate that's not a criticism..."
- "Tomasso, Congratulations, may you enjoy a long and happy life together with Kalliopi! Best regards..."
- "Found another one : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/545975/end-of-the-world-Gods-vengeance..."
- "Thanks :). Actually there are so many fake doomsday red top tabloid stories that I tend to wait..."
- USDA Approves Web Sales for Nutritional Program, Offering Great Option
- Natural and Artificial Flavors: What's the Difference?
- For Breast Cancer Prevention Share Good Info, Not Hearts
- Stink Bugs Add the Flavor of Cilantro to Red Wine
- When Mating, an Insect That Makes Rational Choices
- If You Think Fentanyl Is Bad...