Americans sometimes believe things have to be expensive, from science to technology. Yet getting adopted by the masses is the road to long-term success so a country that can make a microscope out of bamboo for $4 is now putting a tablet computer in reach for its poorest people - a fraction of what the hyper-priced iPad retails for.
Developer Datawind is selling the tablets to the government for about $45 each, and subsidies will reduce that to $35 for students and teachers. In comparison, the cheapest Apple iPad tablet costs $499, while the recently announced Kindle Fire will sell for $199. India is the 9th largest economy but it's per capita GDP is $3,339 so those more expensive devices would only be available for the wealthiest.
India announces $35 tablet computer for rural poor by Katy Daigle, Associated Press
An Indian student poses with the supercheap Aakash tablet computer which she received during its launch in New Delhi, India, Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2011. The $35 basic touch screen tablet aimed at students can be used for functions like word processing, web browsing and video conferencing. Aakash, manufactured by DataWind, has a 7" Android 2.2 touch screen and a HD video coprocessor. The Indian government intends to deliver 10 million tablets to students across India. (AP Photo/Gurinder Osan) Copyright 2011 Associated Press.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- The Harmful Use Of Topical Steroids In India Is Out Of Control, Says Expert
- At The Edge Of Vision: Struggling To Make Sense Of Our Cluttered World
- "Oh not at all, thanks for asking. Ask away, if you have any other questions, delighted to help..."
- "thank u mr walker its nice to talk to someone with some knowledge hope I'm not getting on your..."
- "Yes it's amazing how bright it gets, especially Venus. It is about at its brightest around now..."
- "no ive got no binoculars wish I had now I was amazed wen I seen it this morning it was just so..."
- "Yes if you've been scared for some time, it has an effect on your body. You have to kind of reassure..."
- Study shows white matter damage caused by 'skunk-like' cannabis
- Cognitive behavior therapy can help overcome fear of the dentist
- Don't forget plankton in climate change models, says study
- Graphene microphone outperforms traditional nickel and offers ultrasonic reach
- New metric mapping top 10 European heat waves predicts strong increase in next 2 decades