French women are quite giving - after all, they let their husbands have a girlfriend, a mistress and a whore. It only makes sense that generous nature would translate into parenting as well. Even if that sometimes means a laissez faire approach to childrearing.
Former Wall Street Journal reporter and current Paris ex-pat Pamela Druckerman was intrigued by the manners of French children - in a country famous for being rude - so she set out to study what they were doing and then wrote a book on it. It's not an Asian "tiger mom" approach, by any means, but Druckerman says it is less coddling than the American way.
Good luck selling that book. There are lots of Asian parents in America to buy a book by an Asian but not so many French ones. And telling Americans they should want to raise the children to be more French is a tough sell.
How to Parent Like a Parisian by Sheila Eldred, Discovery News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Better Brains With Beer
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Brexit, the EU Now Has its Puerto Rico.
- Tidal Disruption Event: Black Hole Eats Star, Beams Signal To Earth
- 9,000 Years: Origin Of Farmed Rice Gets Pushed Back
- Finding All-Hadronic Top - Again
- Psychiatric Diagnoses Not Valid For African-Americans, Says Sociologist
- " And all that science, I don't understand - it's just my job five days a week Pretty sure that..."
- "Good news for asteroid defense (it's not new news, but I only found out about it just now), this..."
- "Okay, first, this planet X, if it exists, always remains outside of Neptune if it exists - you..."
- "UPDATE - most recent paper has semimajor axes of ~380–980 AU, and masses of ~5–20..."
- "A better picture might be obtained by reading this article from an Irish journalist based in Russia..."
- It’s Back to Shots for Flu Prevention
- ACSH Applauds Media Awareness of the Fentanyl Crisis
- Counting Bites Examined, to Help Decrease Food Intake
- The Safe And Unsafe Nutty Treats For Your Pup
- Mr. Potato Head Needs a New Warning Label!
- Shark Finning is Banned in the US; Banning Trade in Fins May Be Next
- Should I stay or should I go?
- New cancer immunotherapy drugs linked to arthritis in some patients
- Simulations foresee hordes of colliding black holes in LIGO's future
- Analysis of genetic repeats suggests role for DNA instability in schizophrenia
- Analysis of media reporting reveals new information about snakebites and how and when they occur