French women are quite giving - after all, they let their husbands have a girlfriend, a mistress and a whore. It only makes sense that generous nature would translate into parenting as well. Even if that sometimes means a laissez faire approach to childrearing.
Former Wall Street Journal reporter and current Paris ex-pat Pamela Druckerman was intrigued by the manners of French children - in a country famous for being rude - so she set out to study what they were doing and then wrote a book on it. It's not an Asian "tiger mom" approach, by any means, but Druckerman says it is less coddling than the American way.
Good luck selling that book. There are lots of Asian parents in America to buy a book by an Asian but not so many French ones. And telling Americans they should want to raise the children to be more French is a tough sell.
How to Parent Like a Parisian by Sheila Eldred, Discovery News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Future Transatlantic Flight Delays Blamed On Global Warming
- Quantum mechanics in 1834?
- Using DNA To Fight Fabric Fraud
- Why This New "Planet X" Is No Threat To Earth :).
- China Is Going To Grow, And A Small Cap And Trade Market Won't Stop That
- Horses Can Read Human Emotions
- Crystal 'Sunstones' - How The Vikings Discovered America?
- "Does the emitted photon from carbon dioxide have EXACTLY the same wavelength as the absorbed photon..."
- " from: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/12/02/history-falsifies-climate-alarmist-sea-level-claims/..."
- "Thanks, didn't know about those. But it could also be a shower of hail stones, using the wikipedia..."
- "Are you saying that the sea level data are wrong? I'm just quoting it. If so, please note your data...."
- "For a good place to start, concerning causality as it relates to physics and the mathematics of..."
- Native grass could be key to super-thin condoms
- Teaching neurons to respond to placebos as potential treatment for Parkinson's
- Fall in one-to-one nursing care of very sick newborns linked to higher death rate
- Starfish reveal the origins of brain messenger molecules
- Horses can read human emotions, University of Sussex research shows