French women are quite giving - after all, they let their husbands have a girlfriend, a mistress and a whore. It only makes sense that generous nature would translate into parenting as well. Even if that sometimes means a laissez faire approach to childrearing.
Former Wall Street Journal reporter and current Paris ex-pat Pamela Druckerman was intrigued by the manners of French children - in a country famous for being rude - so she set out to study what they were doing and then wrote a book on it. It's not an Asian "tiger mom" approach, by any means, but Druckerman says it is less coddling than the American way.
Good luck selling that book. There are lots of Asian parents in America to buy a book by an Asian but not so many French ones. And telling Americans they should want to raise the children to be more French is a tough sell.
How to Parent Like a Parisian by Sheila Eldred, Discovery News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- HIP 116454b Shows That Despite Malfunction, Kepler Can Still Find Planets
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- Cape Verde Volcano - The Biggest Natural Disaster You Aren't Reading About
- Why I’ll Talk Policy With Climate Change Deniers But Not Science
- Foldscope: A Microscope You Can Carry In Your Pocket
- The Evolution Of Trichromatic Color Vision In Humans
- There Was No 'Paleo Diet' - Ancient People Ate What They Had
- "The snag of course is that last year, Chicago had its coldest winter ever and here in the UK I..."
- "Patrick,I really enjoy these bits of linguistic playfulness, so let me share with you one of my..."
- "Hey. Brian. Don't tell them what to do...."
- "You claimed that the only way something can have a temperature is if it is moving as in the kinetic..."
- "We need to start deportations again! Truman sent back 3.4 million Eisenhower sent back 2.1 million..."
- The VuePod: Powerful enough for a gamer, made for an engineer
- Reducing emergency surgery cuts health care costs
- A polymorphism and the bacteria inside of us help dictate inflammation, antitumor activity
- Televised medical talk shows: Health education or entertainment?
- Ibuprofen leads to extended lifespan, study shows