For decades, tourists visiting Lake George, N.Y. could view the skeletons of soldiers from nearby French and Indian War sites depicted in James Fenimore Cooper's "The Last of the Mohicans".
In 1993, though, a reburial ceremony put the 18th century remains to rest. Except that never happened. The collection of remains was taken to Arizona and Canada for study and never returned. Even Robert Blais, mayor of Lake George since 1971, didn't know. He learned about tit from The Associated Press, who spoke to archaeologists who have dug at the site, fort officials and the anthropologists who have the remains to confirm that the bulk of the skeleton collection is not at the fort.
Anthropologists Brenda Baker and Maria Liston told the AP they had longstanding agreements with the fort to keep the collections while their studies continued.
Baker, who took the bulk of the skeletons with her to Arizona State University in 1998, doesn't want to give them back. She said the remains are stored at the campus in Tempe in climate-controlled conditions that preserve the bones.
"When they build an adequate storage facility, they will go back to the fort," she said.
There is an adequate story facility. It's called a grave. There were no anthropologists to be all creepy and weird in the 1700s.
Despite ceremony, NY fort's skeletons not buried By Chris Carola, Associated Press
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- 3X Saturated Fat In The Diet Doesn't Increase It In Blood
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Genetic Clues Of Severe Food Allergy
- Want A Man To Help? High Heels Work
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- Is Religion A Consolation Worth Having?
- Still No Contact with NASA's Sun-watching Probe
- "As an earlier cigarette smoker and now e-cig smoker, I can confirm they don't help you quit. As..."
- "Reality? What is reality if you use irrational arguments to justify man's cruelty toward..."
- "Always loved the Heels that showed of the instep (arches) ..."
- "By the way, I am a fan of your blog. It's one of the few places I can follow physics without getting..."
- "Hello Anon,you're entirely right, it's arbitrary and it does not provide protection against cases..."
- Gene in kidney may play role in high blood pressure
- Panel-based genetic diagnostic testing for inherited eye disease proves highly accurate
- Research finds tooth enamel fast-track in humans
- Good news for cocaine users: Caffeine counters cocaine's effects on women's estrus cycles
- Clipping proteins that package genes may limit abnormal cell growth in tumors
Books By Writers Here