For decades, tourists visiting Lake George, N.Y. could view the skeletons of soldiers from nearby French and Indian War sites depicted in James Fenimore Cooper's "The Last of the Mohicans".
In 1993, though, a reburial ceremony put the 18th century remains to rest. Except that never happened. The collection of remains was taken to Arizona and Canada for study and never returned. Even Robert Blais, mayor of Lake George since 1971, didn't know. He learned about tit from The Associated Press, who spoke to archaeologists who have dug at the site, fort officials and the anthropologists who have the remains to confirm that the bulk of the skeleton collection is not at the fort.
Anthropologists Brenda Baker and Maria Liston told the AP they had longstanding agreements with the fort to keep the collections while their studies continued.
Baker, who took the bulk of the skeletons with her to Arizona State University in 1998, doesn't want to give them back. She said the remains are stored at the campus in Tempe in climate-controlled conditions that preserve the bones.
"When they build an adequate storage facility, they will go back to the fort," she said.
There is an adequate story facility. It's called a grave. There were no anthropologists to be all creepy and weird in the 1700s.
Despite ceremony, NY fort's skeletons not buried By Chris Carola, Associated Press
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Poisons Chemists Hate, But You Just Ate
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- A New Target For Machado Joseph Disease Treatment
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- "Oh okay, not to worry. No, it's not real, there's nothing of that type at all. When they talk..."
- "Okay did you see my video I just posted showing a lens flare? When you point a digital camera at..."
- "I don't no how u link thing mr walker I'm not very good when it comes to computers its just videos..."
- "Toni, why not link a few of these images and videos that you've seen? It's a lot easier to dispute..."
- "yes if u could tell me were they have got it wrong mr walker it may help and just a question and..."
- Type-2 Diabetes Drug Ineffective for Obese, Type-1 Teens
- Insulin Pill Could Revolutionize Diabetes Treatment
- For Hypertension Patients, Nearly Half Lack Proper Care
- Antibiotic Resistance: Beginning of the End?
- Give to ACSH on Giving Tuesday!
- Global Energy Balance Network and Coke: What Emails Reveal
- Negative news stories about statins are linked to people discontinuing treatment
- Camouflaged cuttlefish employ electrical stealth
- Taking antidepressants with cancer drug does not increase breast-cancer recurrence
- An online game reveals something fishy about mathematical models
- The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology: The global diet is getting sweeter, particularly when it comes to beverages