For decades, tourists visiting Lake George, N.Y. could view the skeletons of soldiers from nearby French and Indian War sites depicted in James Fenimore Cooper's "The Last of the Mohicans".
In 1993, though, a reburial ceremony put the 18th century remains to rest. Except that never happened. The collection of remains was taken to Arizona and Canada for study and never returned. Even Robert Blais, mayor of Lake George since 1971, didn't know. He learned about tit from The Associated Press, who spoke to archaeologists who have dug at the site, fort officials and the anthropologists who have the remains to confirm that the bulk of the skeleton collection is not at the fort.
Anthropologists Brenda Baker and Maria Liston told the AP they had longstanding agreements with the fort to keep the collections while their studies continued.
Baker, who took the bulk of the skeletons with her to Arizona State University in 1998, doesn't want to give them back. She said the remains are stored at the campus in Tempe in climate-controlled conditions that preserve the bones.
"When they build an adequate storage facility, they will go back to the fort," she said.
There is an adequate story facility. It's called a grave. There were no anthropologists to be all creepy and weird in the 1700s.
Despite ceremony, NY fort's skeletons not buried By Chris Carola, Associated Press
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- Increase In Volcanic Eruptions At The End Of The Ice Age Caused By Melting Ice Caps And Erosion
- How Gut Inflammation Sparks Colon Cancer
- A Conservative Argument For Genetic Modification Of Embryos
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- Early Human Ancestor Did Not Have The Jaws Of A Nutcracker
- "I must disagree with the physics of what this author has written. I may have some basis for..."
- "Those are the same arguments for progressives. Scientists are playing God and thwarting the will..."
- "Okay, this is easy to check, just go here: Current Impact Risks. Everything is shown..."
- "Jeez, don't you guys spell check or proofread your articles?..."
- "Faunus was the god of shepherds and planet nine is the shepherd of the trans-NeptunIan objects..."
- Sustained aerobic exercise increases adult neurogenesis in the brain
- Electron's 1-D metallic surface state observed
- Expression of a 'Ouija Board' protein that can summon 'monster' genes
- Graphene decharging and molecular shielding
- The mechanism of maintaining cell polarity visualized by super-resolution microscope