Ol' man Sol doesn't just screw with Earthlings. Earth got "epic" geomagnetic storms during the last few days, allowing southern states to see the Northern Lights, and now Mars is on the list.
But Mars does not have Earth's protective magnetic shield, it has more like small umbrellas, and a much thinner (100 times thinner) atmosphere, so if there are alien critters hanging out on Mars, waiting to use their Green Lantern rings to steer Comet Elenin into Earth (or prepping an attack for December, 2012) they are not going to be happy.
Giant solar eruption for them Sun. Credit: NASA
Mars Feels Sun's Wrath By Ian O'Neill, Fox News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Cool, Dim Dwarf Star Is Magnetic Powerhouse
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Discovery Could Open Door To Frozen Preservation Of Tissues, Whole Organs
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Secrets Of Dark Proteome
- New Gene Map Reveals Cancer's Achilles Heel
- Thanksgiving Science 2015
- "And if you watch the video, that turkey is 225 lbs!..."
- "Oh not at all, thanks for asking. Ask away, if you have any other questions, delighted to help..."
- "thank u mr walker its nice to talk to someone with some knowledge hope I'm not getting on your..."
- "Yes it's amazing how bright it gets, especially Venus. It is about at its brightest around now..."
- "no ive got no binoculars wish I had now I was amazed wen I seen it this morning it was just so..."
- Study shows white matter damage caused by 'skunk-like' cannabis
- Cognitive behavior therapy can help overcome fear of the dentist
- Don't forget plankton in climate change models, says study
- Graphene microphone outperforms traditional nickel and offers ultrasonic reach
- New metric mapping top 10 European heat waves predicts strong increase in next 2 decades