Ol' man Sol doesn't just screw with Earthlings. Earth got "epic" geomagnetic storms during the last few days, allowing southern states to see the Northern Lights, and now Mars is on the list.
But Mars does not have Earth's protective magnetic shield, it has more like small umbrellas, and a much thinner (100 times thinner) atmosphere, so if there are alien critters hanging out on Mars, waiting to use their Green Lantern rings to steer Comet Elenin into Earth (or prepping an attack for December, 2012) they are not going to be happy.
Giant solar eruption for them Sun. Credit: NASA
Mars Feels Sun's Wrath By Ian O'Neill, Fox News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Mental Illnesses Run In Families, So How Can We Protect Children?
- Parkinson’s Disease Reverted In Rats
- A Vegetarian Carnivorous Plant...Wait, What?
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- Coming Out Of The Closet: Moths Deserve Some Love Too
- Only One Third Of Dr. Oz Show Recommendations Is Believable, Finds Analysis
- Babies In Your 30s Is Not Modern - Your Great-Grandmother Did It Too
- "This is just one reason I went into chemistry. Philosophy just went flying right over my head...."
- "I've tried a very similar pedelec. The one I had was very heavy and had such a high rolling..."
- "I'm a toaster, It's my raison d'être, I toast, therefore I am.Red Dwarf..."
- "Well the bicycle I rode to school and back on for 5 years had very small very thick wheels and..."
- "Great article but just one thing. Maybe it should be.... Only One Third Of Dr. Oz Show..."
- First successful vaccination against 'mad cow'-like wasting disease in deer
- 6 percent of the people reading this article are addicted to the Internet
- Delivering drugs on demand
- Ostwald ripening: Champagne bubble physics may help address future energy needs
- antibodies from llamas might help in the fight against HIV/AIDS
Books By Writers Here