Ol' man Sol doesn't just screw with Earthlings. Earth got "epic" geomagnetic storms during the last few days, allowing southern states to see the Northern Lights, and now Mars is on the list.
But Mars does not have Earth's protective magnetic shield, it has more like small umbrellas, and a much thinner (100 times thinner) atmosphere, so if there are alien critters hanging out on Mars, waiting to use their Green Lantern rings to steer Comet Elenin into Earth (or prepping an attack for December, 2012) they are not going to be happy.
Giant solar eruption for them Sun. Credit: NASA
Mars Feels Sun's Wrath By Ian O'Neill, Fox News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Nobel Prize To Neutrino Oscillations
- In Plain English: Why Neutrino Mass and Oscillation Won A Nobel Prize.
- What Is Fat For?
- Celiac Disease Diagnosis Gets Simplified
- Prenatal BPA Exposures (Don’t) Affect Birth Weight
- Nobel Prize Validates Chinese Medicine? Nope.
- Machine learning vs NRA, a Grand Challenge
- "Love this new test for coeliacs. ..."
- "Hi Tommaso, you depict this Nobel prize at little bit as if it had been given to the two collaborations..."
- "Thanks Mr. Lambino. Corrected. Gil Ross..."
- "70. Re: The scientific report guiding the US dietary guidelines: is it scientific? http://www..."
- "I like how you note my dislike of [all] inanimate objects. I'm calling out GUNS, if this isn't..."