Ol' man Sol doesn't just screw with Earthlings. Earth got "epic" geomagnetic storms during the last few days, allowing southern states to see the Northern Lights, and now Mars is on the list.
But Mars does not have Earth's protective magnetic shield, it has more like small umbrellas, and a much thinner (100 times thinner) atmosphere, so if there are alien critters hanging out on Mars, waiting to use their Green Lantern rings to steer Comet Elenin into Earth (or prepping an attack for December, 2012) they are not going to be happy.
Giant solar eruption for them Sun. Credit: NASA
Mars Feels Sun's Wrath By Ian O'Neill, Fox News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- Will Holding Thermal Printer Paper Really Send Your BPA Levels Soaring?
- The Quote Of The Week - Shocked And Disappointed
- Great Earthquakes Doubled In The Most Recent 10 Year Period - What That Means
- Limiting Global Warming To 2°C: The Philosophy And The Science
- ECFA Workshop: Planning For The High Luminosity LHC
- Drink Up, Baby Boomer: Alcohol Associated With Better Memory
- "I have heard (from someone who worked there) of a laboratory in a country far, far away where they..."
- "It would be very useful, if also deeply depressing, to collect all of the statements made by prominent..."
- "Trying to explain this to people can be infuriating. It really is a few of us arguing against..."
- "Hi Valerie, thanks for writing.If you look up papers on existential dread, you should find some..."
- "If journal articles like this one would reference the science and the data instead of the politics..."
- National Wildlife Refuge System bans on GMOs and neonics lack transparency, scientific rationale
- Want better sperm? Eat more pesticides
- Beyond universal donors, some people are programed with no blood type at all
- Anti-conventional ag movement spurs Big Ag to look to organic pesticides
- Can people really inherit memories?
- An end to fat shaming? The 50 year DNA mystery of metabolic dysfunction may soon be solved
- New policymaking tool for shift to renewable energy
- Teens whose parents exert more psychological control have trouble with closeness, independence
- Two days later: Adolescents' conflicts with family spill over to school, vice versa
- Children in high-quality early childhood education are buffered from changes in family income
- 'Breath test' shows promise for diagnosing fungal pneumonia