We keep being told how vital it is for us to stay competitive in the 'green energy race' - Energy Secretary Steven Chu reiterated it again in his Congressional hearing last week.
But a race for what? China heavily subsidizes ridiculously inefficient solar cells so heavily subsidized American companies can afford to buy them - but nobody really wants the product. It doesn't work.
In California, government green energy money goes almost exclusively to rich people. It's not really better for society if rich people are getting solar panels rather than poor people getting weather proofing for lower income dwellings.
Chu's contention is that we are 'falling behind' if we don't invest some magical number he claims China is investing. 'Falling behind' and 'losing leadership' are buzzwords for people who believe in a pet project even when the numbers don't add up; if you claim America will 'fall behind' if it doesn't fund the next Big Science Project or America will 'fall behind' if we don't fund some futuristic war plane and you can't see why opponents ridicule it, it's because it is your pet cause.
Chu hates CO2, I get that, but crippling American coal companies so China can continue to belch enough emissions from coal that they can also afford to 'lead' in solar energy is not an economic win. We don't have low-paid peasants, we do have an EPA, there is no way to produce solar panels cheaper than China can produce them.
So let them produce them. A politician has not been this excited about 'green energy' since Al Gore was forcing ethanol on us. Once his political career was over, he admitted he pushed ethanol just to appeal to corn farmers. Beware politicians claiming to care about the environment and claiming magic will make inefficient technology viable.
Secretary Chu’s ‘Clean Energy Race’ Blather by Marlo Lewis PJ Media
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Poisons Chemists Hate, But You Just Ate
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- A New Target For Machado Joseph Disease Treatment
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- "Oh okay, not to worry. No, it's not real, there's nothing of that type at all. When they talk..."
- "Okay did you see my video I just posted showing a lens flare? When you point a digital camera at..."
- "I don't no how u link thing mr walker I'm not very good when it comes to computers its just videos..."
- "Toni, why not link a few of these images and videos that you've seen? It's a lot easier to dispute..."
- "yes if u could tell me were they have got it wrong mr walker it may help and just a question and..."
- Type-2 Diabetes Drug Ineffective for Obese, Type-1 Teens
- Insulin Pill Could Revolutionize Diabetes Treatment
- For Hypertension Patients, Nearly Half Lack Proper Care
- Antibiotic Resistance: Beginning of the End?
- Give to ACSH on Giving Tuesday!
- Global Energy Balance Network and Coke: What Emails Reveal
- Negative news stories about statins are linked to people discontinuing treatment
- Camouflaged cuttlefish employ electrical stealth
- Taking antidepressants with cancer drug does not increase breast-cancer recurrence
- An online game reveals something fishy about mathematical models
- The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology: The global diet is getting sweeter, particularly when it comes to beverages