At first, President Obama sided with science and smart politics - the Keystone XL project, a 1,700 mile pipeline from Alberta to the Gulf Coast that will produce 700,000 barrels of oil a day and employ over 130,000 people in construction and management jobs, could go ahead. Environmental studies done by scientists in the administration showed no substantial harm and these were union jobs, an important liberal constituency.
But then anti-science environmental activists, progressives rather than liberals, went nuts - apparently Energy Secretary Steven Chu's Nobel Prize only counts when he is wasting money on Solyndra and 11 other failed 'green ' energy companies and not on science they happen not to like. Again, Obama went with the smart political move and delayed a decision - he needs every vote he can get and while union employees wouldn't vote Republican over blocking a jobs program that doesn't cost the government billions, environmental progressives would likely stay home in November if they were annoyed.
Republicans apparently didn't want to let him play both sides; they demanded a 60-day decision. Ostensibly so people could have jobs in a moribund economy but also to force his hand. Result: he has canceled it outright.
His kind of funny rationalization; it's the Republicans' fault. Yes, the president is trying to spin it so it looks like he loves Big Oil and the environment and Republicans don't like either. It's sort of silly, but not a surprise. Presidents have been doing this stuff for over 200 years. Get used to another 10 months of it but it's the 130,000 people who would have had these jobs that suffer while politicians play games.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- New President - Pivot To Moon On Way To Mars? Lunar Spelunking & Science Surprises
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- Debunking: A President Of The US Could Order A Nuclear Attack At A Moments Notice On A Whim
- Samsung Note 7 0.0002 Percent Lead to Total Recall.
- Early Pancreatic Cancer Detection Using Blood Biomarkers
- "Nothing new here...."
- "Tellingly it's been removed from it's original source. ..."
- "Unlike men, women don't seem to be able to do much without support. As for the equality gap, that's..."
- "Hi Dan!Thanks, glad you like it. I'm in the UK so I know what you mean about tensions between the..."
- "Oh if it was real, astronomers would have been tracking it for several decades. It would have been..."
- Is Modern Feminism Incompatible with Science?
- When All Else Fails, Bribing Kids to Eat Better
- Kathleen Gyllenhaal: 'IN UTERO' in Hollywood Q&A
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Dr. Halford Answers 'the Big Question'
- The media is not helping in the battle against SIDS
- Busted Breast Cancer Myths