In the early days of the Obama administration transition, there were a number of concerns about his anti-science beliefs. He hired a guy who thought girls couldn't do math and one who thinks there is a government UFO conspiracy.
But then he made Steven Chu Energy Secretary, and that was good, if only Chu could curb his anti-CO2 fetish.
Well, it looks like he has seen the light, though perhaps only because he sees what a dark place an America without CO2 looks like. Emissions are back to 1995 levels - that may sound good but it's actually not because that means there are no jobs in America, which also means Pres. Obama's re-election chances are solely riding on the Republicans trotting out a zany character like Michele Bachmann or Rick Perry. He might even lose a primary challenge if things don't improve.
In an interview with energyNOW! anchor Thalia Assuras, Chu says energy security concerns may mean the Keystone XL oil-sands pipeline will win approval. By 'energy concerns' he means 130,000 new jobs. People have shown tolerance for high gas prices but they haven't shown a lot of patience for a stimulus plan that cost $200-500,000 for each job. By simply not artificially blocking the private sector and caving in to anti-science activists who contend the studies showing no harm are somehow being faked by Obama administration scientists, they can put people to work and have a victory to talk about that doesn't involve raising taxes or adding a whole lot of cost to an already bloated government deficit.
The EPA has far exceeded its mandate and they need to be reined in but until that happens, smart projects that have been shown to be safe (James Hansen's aging hippie claims aside) have to be allowed. Turning America into a third world country so activists can brag about how low emissions are is not good for anyone.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- We Don't Hear Much About The 10,000 French Deaths At Gallipoli
- Columbia's Lame Oz Defense
- Arginine Deprivation May Be A Potential Cause For Alzheimer's
- Yellowstone Volcanic System Four Times Bigger Than Thought
- The Evolutionary Psychology Reason Some People Will Be Anti-GMO
- You Can't Exercise Through A Bad Diet
- Poison As Medicine And How Venom Can Sometimes Be A Savior
- "So true. It is so much about what we eat. I take a look at foods that are proven to supercharge..."
- "Agreed. There was a very famous runner named Jim Fixx, entirely ignorant of medical genetics..."
- "I'm a concert pianist. Should I be giving flute lessons? ..."
- "I meant to say my wife mentioned some treatment for whatever that Dr Oz mentioned on his show...."
- "I'm no mental giant, but I picked up on the snake oil salesmanship qualities of Dr Oz years ago..."
Books By Writers Here