In the early days of the Obama administration transition, there were a number of concerns about his anti-science beliefs. He hired a guy who thought girls couldn't do math and one who thinks there is a government UFO conspiracy.
But then he made Steven Chu Energy Secretary, and that was good, if only Chu could curb his anti-CO2 fetish.
Well, it looks like he has seen the light, though perhaps only because he sees what a dark place an America without CO2 looks like. Emissions are back to 1995 levels - that may sound good but it's actually not because that means there are no jobs in America, which also means Pres. Obama's re-election chances are solely riding on the Republicans trotting out a zany character like Michele Bachmann or Rick Perry. He might even lose a primary challenge if things don't improve.
In an interview with energyNOW! anchor Thalia Assuras, Chu says energy security concerns may mean the Keystone XL oil-sands pipeline will win approval. By 'energy concerns' he means 130,000 new jobs. People have shown tolerance for high gas prices but they haven't shown a lot of patience for a stimulus plan that cost $200-500,000 for each job. By simply not artificially blocking the private sector and caving in to anti-science activists who contend the studies showing no harm are somehow being faked by Obama administration scientists, they can put people to work and have a victory to talk about that doesn't involve raising taxes or adding a whole lot of cost to an already bloated government deficit.
The EPA has far exceeded its mandate and they need to be reined in but until that happens, smart projects that have been shown to be safe (James Hansen's aging hippie claims aside) have to be allowed. Turning America into a third world country so activists can brag about how low emissions are is not good for anyone.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- War On Doping And The Hypocritical Treatment Of Lance Armstrong
- Quantum Cryptography Core Question At The Heart Of Quantum Information Theory Answered?!?
- How Marijuana Use Affects People With Bipolar Disorder
- Ignorance of math and physics is no excuse
- Unregulated Genetic Testing Websites Still Causing Concerns
- What Antidepressants Do To Healthy People
- The New York Times On Drugs - Wrong, Naive Or Misleading?
- "We sure do live in very different places. It is very uncommon to come across people who need..."
- "I enjoyed reading the discussion. Quite a good article to discuss with. It looks like..."
- "narcotics do not stop working after three monthsAh - come on, don't you know that those heroine..."
- "Let me explain exactly why you or your family member reacted as they did, why the test subjects..."
- "One guy runs a red light and is stopped and confesses. One guy runs a red light and says he didn't..."