In the early days of the Obama administration transition, there were a number of concerns about his anti-science beliefs. He hired a guy who thought girls couldn't do math and one who thinks there is a government UFO conspiracy.
But then he made Steven Chu Energy Secretary, and that was good, if only Chu could curb his anti-CO2 fetish.
Well, it looks like he has seen the light, though perhaps only because he sees what a dark place an America without CO2 looks like. Emissions are back to 1995 levels - that may sound good but it's actually not because that means there are no jobs in America, which also means Pres. Obama's re-election chances are solely riding on the Republicans trotting out a zany character like Michele Bachmann or Rick Perry. He might even lose a primary challenge if things don't improve.
In an interview with energyNOW! anchor Thalia Assuras, Chu says energy security concerns may mean the Keystone XL oil-sands pipeline will win approval. By 'energy concerns' he means 130,000 new jobs. People have shown tolerance for high gas prices but they haven't shown a lot of patience for a stimulus plan that cost $200-500,000 for each job. By simply not artificially blocking the private sector and caving in to anti-science activists who contend the studies showing no harm are somehow being faked by Obama administration scientists, they can put people to work and have a victory to talk about that doesn't involve raising taxes or adding a whole lot of cost to an already bloated government deficit.
The EPA has far exceeded its mandate and they need to be reined in but until that happens, smart projects that have been shown to be safe (James Hansen's aging hippie claims aside) have to be allowed. Turning America into a third world country so activists can brag about how low emissions are is not good for anyone.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Giddings: The 750 GeV Diphoton Resonance Is A Graviton
- Why Your Muscles Get Less Sore As You Stick With Your Gym Routine
- Inconvenient Truth: There Are Synthetic Pesticide Residues On Organic
- No Higgs Needed: 5 Ways Particle Accelerators Have Changed The World
- Future Transatlantic Flight Delays Blamed On Global Warming
- Native Grass Make Super-Thin Condoms
- A.I. May Tell Us What's Going To Be Big In Science This Year
- "Where can I buy a mug like the one above??..."
- "I have long suspected that the organic lobbyists have been economical with the truth in respect..."
- "Does the emitted photon from carbon dioxide have EXACTLY the same wavelength as the absorbed photon..."
- " from: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/12/02/history-falsifies-climate-alarmist-sea-level-claims/..."
- "Thanks, didn't know about those. But it could also be a shower of hail stones, using the wikipedia..."
- The new health 'desert'? Reliable weight loss programs hard to find
- Chronic alcohol use helps bacteria harm the liver
- Inhibiting age-related inflammation maintains healthy gut microbiota and extends lifespan
- Alcohol also damages the liver by allowing bacteria to infiltrate
- The most accurate optical single-ion clock worldwide