In the early days of the Obama administration transition, there were a number of concerns about his anti-science beliefs. He hired a guy who thought girls couldn't do math and one who thinks there is a government UFO conspiracy.
But then he made Steven Chu Energy Secretary, and that was good, if only Chu could curb his anti-CO2 fetish.
Well, it looks like he has seen the light, though perhaps only because he sees what a dark place an America without CO2 looks like. Emissions are back to 1995 levels - that may sound good but it's actually not because that means there are no jobs in America, which also means Pres. Obama's re-election chances are solely riding on the Republicans trotting out a zany character like Michele Bachmann or Rick Perry. He might even lose a primary challenge if things don't improve.
In an interview with energyNOW! anchor Thalia Assuras, Chu says energy security concerns may mean the Keystone XL oil-sands pipeline will win approval. By 'energy concerns' he means 130,000 new jobs. People have shown tolerance for high gas prices but they haven't shown a lot of patience for a stimulus plan that cost $200-500,000 for each job. By simply not artificially blocking the private sector and caving in to anti-science activists who contend the studies showing no harm are somehow being faked by Obama administration scientists, they can put people to work and have a victory to talk about that doesn't involve raising taxes or adding a whole lot of cost to an already bloated government deficit.
The EPA has far exceeded its mandate and they need to be reined in but until that happens, smart projects that have been shown to be safe (James Hansen's aging hippie claims aside) have to be allowed. Turning America into a third world country so activists can brag about how low emissions are is not good for anyone.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- How The Higgs Became The Target Of Run 2 At The Tevatron
- You Are Ready To Eat Insects If You Have These Characteristics
- How Neuroscience Is Being Used To Spread Quackery In Business And Education
- Global 'Roadmap' Shows Where To Put Roads Without Costing The Earth
- MOOCs: Learning About Online Learning, One Click At A Time
- Will We Meet ET Microbes On Mars? Why We Should Care Deeply About Them - Like Tigers
- "More precisely: you can say that you have a quantum of an EM wave *after* one combined creation/detection..."
- "What are you planning to do this Month? Here is the list of 200 free online courses that start..."
- "So in this representation every four vector is represented by a 4x4 matrix, but not every 4x4 matrix..."
- "If you look up a text on Quantum Electrodynamics you should find a Psi field for creating and destroying..."
- "You guessed alright, that is a page from the book...Cheers,T...."
- Week-long meeting on naming algae, fungi, and plants recorded for posterity
- Geochronology and global context of the Charnian Supergroup
- Confirmation of a low pre-extensional geothermal gradient in the Grayback normal
- Scientists get set for simulated nuclear inspection
- Invisible blood in urine may indicate bladder cancer