Sometimes you have to take a chance; President Obama has decided to 'reassess' the Keystone XL pipeline project, which is really just a way to delay it until after the 2012 election.
Cost; over 100,000 jobs in the US. That's bad, right? It depends on what the priority is.
Benefit: Anti-science hippies insisted against evidence this would kill the environment. Even climate guru Dr. James Hansen shucked off any pretense of scientific objectivity and got himself arrested protesting the White House. Every study, including by the Obama administration, found no concerns but by being a moderate, he was creating jobs yet swaying no voters from the other side at all - they just protested his tax on Christmas trees instead. The risk he was taking by allowing new oil industry development was that parts of his base would stay home next November and he might lose to a mobilized Republican.
He has nothing to lose but jobs and keeping a 'service' economy - we drove most manufacturing out of the US a long time ago - stagnant and he has an election to gain. It sounds mercenary but politics can be mercenary and trying to salvage an election is more important than energy independence, more money for poor people who need to drive to jobs, and jobs themselves.
Keystone XL: Canada-US pipeline route decision delayed BBC News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Genetic Clues Of Severe Food Allergy
- 3X Saturated Fat In The Diet Doesn't Increase It In Blood
- Is Religion A Consolation Worth Having?
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- Want A Man To Help? High Heels Work
- Still No Contact with NASA's Sun-watching Probe
- "Wanted to actually watch the movie before I responded, but the movie clearly alluded to a war,..."
- "Here in the US, three new house bills including HR 1422 essentially exclude science from the political..."
- "From your response, you seem totally incapable of addressing anything I wrote. One response, in..."
- "Mr Martinez, Your reply does not address the argument. No one is claiming that all evil is done..."
- "I have been growing organic tomatoes using a leachate made from Mighty Grow Organics 4-3-4 pelletized..."
- Modified DNA backbone enables success of existing and novel oligonucleotide therapeutics
- Gene in kidney may play role in high blood pressure
- Panel-based genetic diagnostic testing for inherited eye disease proves highly accurate
- Research finds tooth enamel fast-track in humans
- Good news for cocaine users: Caffeine counters cocaine's effects on women's estrus cycles