Sometimes you have to take a chance; President Obama has decided to 'reassess' the Keystone XL pipeline project, which is really just a way to delay it until after the 2012 election.
Cost; over 100,000 jobs in the US. That's bad, right? It depends on what the priority is.
Benefit: Anti-science hippies insisted against evidence this would kill the environment. Even climate guru Dr. James Hansen shucked off any pretense of scientific objectivity and got himself arrested protesting the White House. Every study, including by the Obama administration, found no concerns but by being a moderate, he was creating jobs yet swaying no voters from the other side at all - they just protested his tax on Christmas trees instead. The risk he was taking by allowing new oil industry development was that parts of his base would stay home next November and he might lose to a mobilized Republican.
He has nothing to lose but jobs and keeping a 'service' economy - we drove most manufacturing out of the US a long time ago - stagnant and he has an election to gain. It sounds mercenary but politics can be mercenary and trying to salvage an election is more important than energy independence, more money for poor people who need to drive to jobs, and jobs themselves.
Keystone XL: Canada-US pipeline route decision delayed BBC News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lexus Hoverboard Gets Off The Ground
- Vegan Diets Works Better For Weight Loss Than Vegetarian Or Atkins
- Asteroid Day Today, 30th June - Let's Find These Rocks And Deflect Them
- Collinsium Ciliosum: New Species Of ‘Super-Armored’ Worm Discovered
- Antibiotic Incentives: Marketing Vs. Education
- Male And Female Pain Involves Different Cells
- "May I suggest you read this blog Sugar and Fat Absorption Increased In Obesity http://medicalresearch..."
- "Well all calories are equal until they enter the body. Sugar and Fat Absorption Increased In Obesity..."
- "You say: A vegan diet remains controversial because it is in defiance of our evolutionary mandate..."
- "I am SUCH an idiot. I remember when those hideous things came out. 1970s. Duh. I actually..."
- "You write as if you had never heard of psychology and psychological effects. You just answered..."
- Phase IIb Pivotal Clinical Study of P2B001 for the Treatment of Early Stage Parkinson's Disease
- Women's faces get redder at ovulation, but human eyes can't pick up on it
- Friction reduction breakthrough is not snake oil
- Is abortion in America about to get restricted?
- South Africans used milk-based paint 49,000 years ago