Sometimes you have to take a chance; President Obama has decided to 'reassess' the Keystone XL pipeline project, which is really just a way to delay it until after the 2012 election.
Cost; over 100,000 jobs in the US. That's bad, right? It depends on what the priority is.
Benefit: Anti-science hippies insisted against evidence this would kill the environment. Even climate guru Dr. James Hansen shucked off any pretense of scientific objectivity and got himself arrested protesting the White House. Every study, including by the Obama administration, found no concerns but by being a moderate, he was creating jobs yet swaying no voters from the other side at all - they just protested his tax on Christmas trees instead. The risk he was taking by allowing new oil industry development was that parts of his base would stay home next November and he might lose to a mobilized Republican.
He has nothing to lose but jobs and keeping a 'service' economy - we drove most manufacturing out of the US a long time ago - stagnant and he has an election to gain. It sounds mercenary but politics can be mercenary and trying to salvage an election is more important than energy independence, more money for poor people who need to drive to jobs, and jobs themselves.
Keystone XL: Canada-US pipeline route decision delayed BBC News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Nanotech: The Most Dangerous Science Least Carefully Done
- A Billion Years Ago, What Did Earth's Ancient Magnetic Field Look Like?
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition Signatures Over 11% Of Total Votes Cast
- Finding All-Hadronic Top - Again
- Better Brains With Beer
- Insects Were Already Using Camouflage 100 Million Years Ago
- "so in a nutshell basically they're not taking worries seriously..."
- "Sentence makes perfect sense. Has it been fixed?..."
- "If its based on signature on rocks, then the hypothesis is wrong. Because rocks form from molten..."
- "You should proof read. The very first sentence makes no sense. Didn't bother reading the rest. ..."
- "Thanks for your understanding!Cheers,T...."
- Cannabis Beverages: A New Way to Get High
- Got Zika? Thank an Environmentalist
- Magical Moron Moments: Burn Your Feet with Tony Robbins
- IARC is controversial – because they put ideology over science
- Congressman Bob Gibbs: Biotechnology is feeding millions
- Science For the Win: Pepsi’s Walk of Shame Back to Aspartame
- LGBT rights and protections are scarce in constitutions around the world, UCLA study finds
- Bacterial colonies in human body linked to presence of cancer in mouth and throat
- The Smithsonian celebrates the Panama Canal expansion
- What happens when you steam a planet?
- Clandestine black hole may represent new population