Sometimes you have to take a chance; President Obama has decided to 'reassess' the Keystone XL pipeline project, which is really just a way to delay it until after the 2012 election.
Cost; over 100,000 jobs in the US. That's bad, right? It depends on what the priority is.
Benefit: Anti-science hippies insisted against evidence this would kill the environment. Even climate guru Dr. James Hansen shucked off any pretense of scientific objectivity and got himself arrested protesting the White House. Every study, including by the Obama administration, found no concerns but by being a moderate, he was creating jobs yet swaying no voters from the other side at all - they just protested his tax on Christmas trees instead. The risk he was taking by allowing new oil industry development was that parts of his base would stay home next November and he might lose to a mobilized Republican.
He has nothing to lose but jobs and keeping a 'service' economy - we drove most manufacturing out of the US a long time ago - stagnant and he has an election to gain. It sounds mercenary but politics can be mercenary and trying to salvage an election is more important than energy independence, more money for poor people who need to drive to jobs, and jobs themselves.
Keystone XL: Canada-US pipeline route decision delayed BBC News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Pseudoscience Creeping Into Your Conference? A Case In GMOs And Glyphosate
- My Thoughts On The LIGO-VIRGO Result
- Henri Poincaré Predicted The Existence Of Gravitational Waves As Early As June 5, 1905
- Are Dark Matter Scientists About To Prove Its Existence?
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- Beyond Diamonds And Gems: The World's Rarest Minerals
- 36 Million Americans Cook In The Nude
- "Hi Dan, I referrred to what described in https://www.ligo.caltech.edu/page/ligos-ifo . From that..."
- "It's to be remembered that the Irish had small kingdoms in Wales and Cornwall as well as Scotland..."
- "Thank you for this comment.Raymond Poincaré (1860-1934) was the first cousin of Henri Poincaré..."
- "I like the argument on how evolving the entertainment technology are, the human being still enjoy..."
- "The power flux (power per unit area) of plane gravitational waves can be derived from Einstein's..."
- Fluorine: The Element From Hell
- Beard Microbiology: Grubby Hipsters May Be On To Something
- Water Tops the List of Health Concerns for Competitive Eaters
- Natural Flavors Are More Radioactive Than Artificial Ones.
- Bariatric Surgery Beneficial Even for Older People
- Opiates No Better at Easing Knee Osteoarthritis Pain
- Speech disorder called apraxia can progress to neurodegenerative disease
- Market integration could help offset climate-related food insecurity
- What values are important to scientists?
- Drones for research: DePaul University archaeologist to explain UAV use at Fifa
- Does living near an oil or natural gas well affect your drinking water?