Sometimes you have to take a chance; President Obama has decided to 'reassess' the Keystone XL pipeline project, which is really just a way to delay it until after the 2012 election.
Cost; over 100,000 jobs in the US. That's bad, right? It depends on what the priority is.
Benefit: Anti-science hippies insisted against evidence this would kill the environment. Even climate guru Dr. James Hansen shucked off any pretense of scientific objectivity and got himself arrested protesting the White House. Every study, including by the Obama administration, found no concerns but by being a moderate, he was creating jobs yet swaying no voters from the other side at all - they just protested his tax on Christmas trees instead. The risk he was taking by allowing new oil industry development was that parts of his base would stay home next November and he might lose to a mobilized Republican.
He has nothing to lose but jobs and keeping a 'service' economy - we drove most manufacturing out of the US a long time ago - stagnant and he has an election to gain. It sounds mercenary but politics can be mercenary and trying to salvage an election is more important than energy independence, more money for poor people who need to drive to jobs, and jobs themselves.
Keystone XL: Canada-US pipeline route decision delayed BBC News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- 2 New Species Of Primitive Fish Discovered
- Fighting Plagiarism In Scientific Papers
- Climate Change Is Not Causing Extreme Winters
- The White House Plan To Combat Antibiotic Resistance
- Holistically Tuned - The Brain Sees Words As Pictures, Not A Series Of Letters
- "So, along with this ancient cosmic evolution, which is the probability that within a galaxy like..."
- "What also hasn't changed since then is the laws of physics. Read the story I linked to.  ..."
- "It's somehow strange, since climate is getting stranger and I see more and more extreme weather..."
- "I raised a couple of boys as a single parent. Both are gifted with intelligence but the elder is..."
- "Funny that the Obama/Holdren/Francis/Polar Vortex climate radicals continue lobbing denier epithets..."