Sometimes you have to take a chance; President Obama has decided to 'reassess' the Keystone XL pipeline project, which is really just a way to delay it until after the 2012 election.
Cost; over 100,000 jobs in the US. That's bad, right? It depends on what the priority is.
Benefit: Anti-science hippies insisted against evidence this would kill the environment. Even climate guru Dr. James Hansen shucked off any pretense of scientific objectivity and got himself arrested protesting the White House. Every study, including by the Obama administration, found no concerns but by being a moderate, he was creating jobs yet swaying no voters from the other side at all - they just protested his tax on Christmas trees instead. The risk he was taking by allowing new oil industry development was that parts of his base would stay home next November and he might lose to a mobilized Republican.
He has nothing to lose but jobs and keeping a 'service' economy - we drove most manufacturing out of the US a long time ago - stagnant and he has an election to gain. It sounds mercenary but politics can be mercenary and trying to salvage an election is more important than energy independence, more money for poor people who need to drive to jobs, and jobs themselves.
Keystone XL: Canada-US pipeline route decision delayed BBC News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Marijuana Use Affects People With Bipolar Disorder
- Why Are Girls More Likely To Die In Pediatric Intensive Care Units?
- The New York Times On Drugs - Wrong, Naive Or Misleading?
- Avoid These 3 Risk Factors, Gain 13 Years Of Quality Life
- 1840s Shipwreck Leads To Important Beer Science Discovery
- Women With Endometriosis Need More Support, Less Judgment
- Celiac Disease Is Real - Gluten Sensitivity, Not So Much
- "Actually that's exactly what the bible is all about real Aliens, not religion. So may i have one..."
- "Addiction is completely fake. Their goal is to push more people into 12 Step 'treatment' which..."
- "dave, you are proving to all your profound ignorance and worse you are revelling in it. How sad..."
- "You've touched on something that drives me insane-- the under-medication of dying patients by hospitals..."
- "Tacitus, As you say, “All the twins (one assumes) shared the same environment, but the identical..."
- Antiseptic prevents deaths in newborns
- Cellular sequencing technology provides deeper look at mitochondrial inherited disease risk
- Australian science infrastructure funding is being held hostage by government
- Male images seen by left side of the brain, says study
- Gout linked to lower chances of developing Alzheimer's disease