Scientists didn't like when Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) turned his gaze on rampant spending waste at the National Science Foundation but locking in on waste - military, science funding, you name it - is what he does, in true conservative fashion.
It's safe to assume the science community will like cutting waste that does not involve shrimp on treadmills more. He found millionaires received $74 million worth of unemployment checks from 2005 to 2009, $316 million in farm subsidies from 2003 to 2009; $89 million for the preservation of lands on ranches and estates in 2009 and 2010; and $7.5 million to compensate for property damages caused by disaster.
Subsidies, well what to do? I don't like them but if we're going to fund stupid ideas like solar power companies for friends of Pres. Obama, and since 85% of the entire world's agriculture subsidies are European, we can't tell millionaires who own dairy farms they are ghetto-ized out of the system created to protect American farmers from overseas dumping. Paying a rich farmer isn't like the Queen of the Netherlands having her Italian vineyard subsidized by Italian peasants.
Ditto with property damage. If it's a disaster area, there is no income filter on who gets some reimbursement. And voluntary easements are something progressives proposed as a way to get more land protected.
Coburn's stance will be met positively by people already inclined to dislike the people he is going after, just like his stance was reviled when his fact-finding stabbed at funding sacred cows.
GOP sen.: Feds send checks to millionaires for not working By Alexander Bolton, TheHill.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- It's Naive To Pretend Differences Between Women And Men Are Just Genetics
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- GMOs Have Formaldehyde? Bizarre Claim Challenged By Experts
- Epigenetics: Quackery Or Phenomenon?
- Half Of Biomedical Studies Aren't Reproducible – And What We Need To Do About That
- "Unfortunately the real reason is not forgetting to include a step in the methods section. It is..."
- "Your post is precisely why there is so much misinformation about this nonsense. Crooke's Radiometer..."
- "I really enjoy James Burkes connections style history!..."
- "Okay, first, yes, a photon has zero rest mass, but a photon rocket isn't reactionless, because..."
- "Umm, nope if you hold 9.8 milligrams in your hand, the downward force you feel is a micronewton..."
- Environmental activists are ignoring the real bee killer
- Corporate leader’s science creds under attack
- Rare bacteria cause outbreak in NYC
- John Stossel rips the EPA and NRDC too. Because they’re practically the same thing
- Fact checking pHony water
- Hopewell NJ votes gas pipeline off the island; why not shut down your entire energy supply to save Mother Earth?
- How bees naturally vaccinate their babies
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control
- Paralyzed men move legs thanks to non-invasive spinal cord stimulation
- California 'rain debt' equal to average full year of precipitation
Books By Writers Here