Scientists didn't like when Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) turned his gaze on rampant spending waste at the National Science Foundation but locking in on waste - military, science funding, you name it - is what he does, in true conservative fashion.
It's safe to assume the science community will like cutting waste that does not involve shrimp on treadmills more. He found millionaires received $74 million worth of unemployment checks from 2005 to 2009, $316 million in farm subsidies from 2003 to 2009; $89 million for the preservation of lands on ranches and estates in 2009 and 2010; and $7.5 million to compensate for property damages caused by disaster.
Subsidies, well what to do? I don't like them but if we're going to fund stupid ideas like solar power companies for friends of Pres. Obama, and since 85% of the entire world's agriculture subsidies are European, we can't tell millionaires who own dairy farms they are ghetto-ized out of the system created to protect American farmers from overseas dumping. Paying a rich farmer isn't like the Queen of the Netherlands having her Italian vineyard subsidized by Italian peasants.
Ditto with property damage. If it's a disaster area, there is no income filter on who gets some reimbursement. And voluntary easements are something progressives proposed as a way to get more land protected.
Coburn's stance will be met positively by people already inclined to dislike the people he is going after, just like his stance was reviled when his fact-finding stabbed at funding sacred cows.
GOP sen.: Feds send checks to millionaires for not working By Alexander Bolton, TheHill.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Science Left Behind: The Anti-Vaccine Update Update
- Moderate Pot Use By Adolescents Doesn't Hurt IQ
- What Americans Fear Most Isn't Ebola Or Terrorism, It's...
- Finding Fracking Fluids In The Environment
- Ashes And Vegetables: The Diet Of Roman Gladiators Was Rather Poor
- Manly Men And Feminine Women Are Not Evolutionary Mandates - They Are Urban Ones
- Dopamine Receptor Agonist Drugs Linked To Gambling And Hypersexuality
- "After reading the article through three times, I have decided that in fact I agree with you, and..."
- "God, where does the energy come from to drive the never ending comments for this article? I suppose..."
- "http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccines/HPV/index.html says no interesting difference in side..."
- "This article supports the idea that I state as follows: Nobody chooses their religion or world..."
- "Not mine, many post anon cuz if you block by IP you'll surely block by name. BTW I've posted all..."
- An end to fat shaming? The 50 year DNA mystery of metabolic dysfunction may soon be solved
- Egg freezing: a smart career move?
- Despite resistance, China will dominate future of GMOs
- Should Science and Nature run advertorial by wacky Dr. Bronner’s that misleads on GMOs?
- Jack the Ripper’s identity remains a mystery after error in DNA analysis revealed
- Seed patent primer: Is the use of GMOs preventing farmers from reusing their seeds?
- Osteoporosis screening guidelines miss many younger post-menopausal women
- New treatment resolves a hazardous airway complication in child with heart disease
- Bogus recycling bins help identify drinking patterns among low-income seniors
- Understanding drinking behaviors among women with unwanted pregnancies
- Bar attendance supports heavy drinking by young adults in the US-Mexico border region