Scientists didn't like when Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) turned his gaze on rampant spending waste at the National Science Foundation but locking in on waste - military, science funding, you name it - is what he does, in true conservative fashion.
It's safe to assume the science community will like cutting waste that does not involve shrimp on treadmills more. He found millionaires received $74 million worth of unemployment checks from 2005 to 2009, $316 million in farm subsidies from 2003 to 2009; $89 million for the preservation of lands on ranches and estates in 2009 and 2010; and $7.5 million to compensate for property damages caused by disaster.
Subsidies, well what to do? I don't like them but if we're going to fund stupid ideas like solar power companies for friends of Pres. Obama, and since 85% of the entire world's agriculture subsidies are European, we can't tell millionaires who own dairy farms they are ghetto-ized out of the system created to protect American farmers from overseas dumping. Paying a rich farmer isn't like the Queen of the Netherlands having her Italian vineyard subsidized by Italian peasants.
Ditto with property damage. If it's a disaster area, there is no income filter on who gets some reimbursement. And voluntary easements are something progressives proposed as a way to get more land protected.
Coburn's stance will be met positively by people already inclined to dislike the people he is going after, just like his stance was reviled when his fact-finding stabbed at funding sacred cows.
GOP sen.: Feds send checks to millionaires for not working By Alexander Bolton, TheHill.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Schrödinger's Cat Is Not Just Alive And Dead, He's Both In 2 Places At Once
- Mindfulness Is Not A Waste Of Time
- Case For Moon: Humanity's Gateway To The Solar System - Open Ended Exploration With Planetary Protection At Its Heart
- B0 Meson Lifetime Difference Measured By ATLAS
- Malnutrition Results From More Than Just Inadequate Diet
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- Voluntary Birth Control To Stop Climate Change - Or Else
- "this must be mystery, Cat Mystery. lol..."
- "Vampire are not real, and can never be. This stuff is limited to movies only...."
- "Milk is so tasty. Soy, Oy! CO2 is fertilizer for plants. We need more of it. Meat is tasty too..."
- "Both the Pacific Salmon Forum and the Cohen Commission agree there is scant evidence farming salmon..."
- "If interested in an electromagnetic model of the photon structure and its absorption process, as..."
- The Name Game: How Unethical Environmental Groups and Toxic Fanatics Scare You With Words
- Naturopathy: A Pre-holiday Rant
- Misdiagnosis of Dehydration in Older Folks
- The Amazing Things Poo Can Tell Us About Health
- This Dinner Plate Sucks—Literally
- Gwynn’s Appeal to Jury Could Overshadow Medical Science