Okay, the world is not going to end in 2012. The source of this info? The Mayans. The living Mayans. You didn't think all that's left is stone tablets, did you? In that AP news report, a Mayan Indian Elder named Apolinario Chile Pixtun, among others, gives the straight scoop.
One. It's not the end of the world
Two, the supposed stone that dates an Apocalypse in 2012? It's with some stones that cover events in 4772 as well. So if there is a Mayan Apocalypse, it's, umm, a non-apocalyptic one.
And three, my favorite quote from the article. "But most archaeologists, astronomers and Maya say the only thing likely to hit Earth is a meteor shower of New Age philosophy, pop astronomy, Internet doomsday rumors and TV specials".
Chile Pixtun, a Guatemalan, notes that the doomsday theories spring from Western, not Mayan ideas. So read that article. And, sorry to rain on your apocalypse, but it ain't gonna happen.
.. is just another year.
The Satellite Diaries
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Thou Shalt Have One Higgs - $100 Bet Won !
- FDA Stiffs Go Soft On Pink Viagra
- Kashi GoLean Non-GMO Project Cereal Has Traces Of Glyphosate
- Sustainability Won’t Make The World More Fair
- There's No Wild Bee Colony Collapse Either
- Feminists Believe Heterosexual Marriage Is Oppressive, Says Sociologist - And Surveys Prove It
- A Historical Moment For Diabetes
- "LOL! I laughed so hard at this article! This was before its time- love it. I am the Celiac who..."
- "Hi Tony,let me just say that I do hope your model is correct!!!And after all we don't need to go..."
- "The primary and first blood glucose test is the HbA1C test, as you surely must knowI surely know..."
- "Au contraire, you do in fact speak of type 2 diabetes in the context of blood glucose and obesity..."
- "I like a model with 3 HIggs mass states (roughly 125 and 200 and 250 GeV) and would like to bet..."
- Movie Review: O-D’ing on Sugar Produces Flabby Science
- Unwise to Ignore Calorie Intake While Fighting Heart Disease
- Colon Cancer Risk Reduced with Common Pain Relievers
- Generic Drug Price Gouging Stems from Meddling Congress
- E-Cig Survey Muddles Gateway-to-Smoking Debate
- In Dramatic Return, Mets’ Wright Slugs Spinal Stenosis
- Infliximab biosimilar approved in Australia - lower cost is great, but questions about safety remain
- The radiationless revolution in electromagnetics
- Colorado Front Range storm in 2013 caused 1,000 years of erosion
- Covert, overt and benevolent forms of sexism are equally damaging to working women
- White Grain Disorder: New fungi behind emerging wheat disease