Okay, the world is not going to end in 2012. The source of this info? The Mayans. The living Mayans. You didn't think all that's left is stone tablets, did you? In that AP news report, a Mayan Indian Elder named Apolinario Chile Pixtun, among others, gives the straight scoop.
One. It's not the end of the world
Two, the supposed stone that dates an Apocalypse in 2012? It's with some stones that cover events in 4772 as well. So if there is a Mayan Apocalypse, it's, umm, a non-apocalyptic one.
And three, my favorite quote from the article. "But most archaeologists, astronomers and Maya say the only thing likely to hit Earth is a meteor shower of New Age philosophy, pop astronomy, Internet doomsday rumors and TV specials".
Chile Pixtun, a Guatemalan, notes that the doomsday theories spring from Western, not Mayan ideas. So read that article. And, sorry to rain on your apocalypse, but it ain't gonna happen.
.. is just another year.
The Satellite Diaries
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- "Imaginary Bullshit Planet" Nibiru - Lens Flares, Sun Mirages, Hoaxes & Just Plain Silly
- Today's Disposable Society: Pharmaceuticals And Other Contaminants Of Emerging Concern
- Aging Star's Weight Loss Secret Revealed
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- Use Caution In Prescribing Ritalin To Treat ADHD
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- "Hi Thank you for all the positive logic. I've been so worried I've been to see my Gp so any reassurance..."
- "wat I don't get is y the date keeps changing ive just read it could be tomorrow then its December..."
- "The whole thing, astronomically, is just nonsense. If someone just said, say, that some ancient..."
- "On a first reading, I saw the tiltle as Paleofoods. ..."
- "To make things clearer (since it was not stated until near the end of the article), Dimetrodon..."
- Osteoarthritis finding sheds new light on HA injection controversy
- As 2nd anniversary nears of Ebola breakout in West Africa, nurse provides firsthand account of combating Ebola
- Satellite video shows Hurricane Sandra moving north along Mexico's west coast
- Can physical exercise enhance long-term memory?
- Great Barrier Reef protecting against landslides, tsunamis