Okay, the world is not going to end in 2012. The source of this info? The Mayans. The living Mayans. You didn't think all that's left is stone tablets, did you? In that AP news report, a Mayan Indian Elder named Apolinario Chile Pixtun, among others, gives the straight scoop.
One. It's not the end of the world
Two, the supposed stone that dates an Apocalypse in 2012? It's with some stones that cover events in 4772 as well. So if there is a Mayan Apocalypse, it's, umm, a non-apocalyptic one.
And three, my favorite quote from the article. "But most archaeologists, astronomers and Maya say the only thing likely to hit Earth is a meteor shower of New Age philosophy, pop astronomy, Internet doomsday rumors and TV specials".
Chile Pixtun, a Guatemalan, notes that the doomsday theories spring from Western, not Mayan ideas. So read that article. And, sorry to rain on your apocalypse, but it ain't gonna happen.
.. is just another year.
The Satellite Diaries
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Schrödinger's Cat Is Not Just Alive And Dead, He's Both In 2 Places At Once
- Mindfulness Is Not A Waste Of Time
- B0 Meson Lifetime Difference Measured By ATLAS
- Case For Moon: Humanity's Gateway To The Solar System - Open Ended Exploration With Planetary Protection At Its Heart
- Malnutrition Results From More Than Just Inadequate Diet
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- Voluntary Birth Control To Stop Climate Change - Or Else
- "Oh rightio. I should add something about that as background for those who haven't come across the..."
- "Okay. Read it. Liked about half The part I found most startling was the meaning of the phrase,..."
- "I didn't think to add, of course you can also share sterilized distilled water with an ETI - if..."
- "this must be mystery, Cat Mystery. lol..."
- "Vampire are not real, and can never be. This stuff is limited to movies only...."