Okay, the world is not going to end in 2012. The source of this info? The Mayans. The living Mayans. You didn't think all that's left is stone tablets, did you? In that AP news report, a Mayan Indian Elder named Apolinario Chile Pixtun, among others, gives the straight scoop.
One. It's not the end of the world
Two, the supposed stone that dates an Apocalypse in 2012? It's with some stones that cover events in 4772 as well. So if there is a Mayan Apocalypse, it's, umm, a non-apocalyptic one.
And three, my favorite quote from the article. "But most archaeologists, astronomers and Maya say the only thing likely to hit Earth is a meteor shower of New Age philosophy, pop astronomy, Internet doomsday rumors and TV specials".
Chile Pixtun, a Guatemalan, notes that the doomsday theories spring from Western, not Mayan ideas. So read that article. And, sorry to rain on your apocalypse, but it ain't gonna happen.
.. is just another year.
The Satellite Diaries
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bewildering Dune Formation On Mars
- Thinking 'I Can Do Better' Really Can Improve Performance, Study Finds
- Brain Cancer: Why Glioblastoma Is So Difficult To Treat
- Some Celiac Disease May Be Due To Viruses
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Out Of Africa: What They Do Not Tell Us
- Little To No Association Between Butter Consumption And Chronic Disease Or Total Mortality
- "Britt, I admire your ethics in standing up for what you believe is right, and for sacrificing your..."
- "Agreed, many people tend to jump the gun when they see an article like his and don’t read down..."
- "One other thing. It's kind of absurd to argue that if you don't have a solution you can't discuss..."
- "Eugenics tends to be a toxic conversation stopper, primarily because of the poisonous political..."
- "Are you proposing pseudo-positive/negative eugenics? As my boss always says, don't point out a..."