Okay, the world is not going to end in 2012. The source of this info? The Mayans. The living Mayans. You didn't think all that's left is stone tablets, did you? In that AP news report, a Mayan Indian Elder named Apolinario Chile Pixtun, among others, gives the straight scoop.
One. It's not the end of the world
Two, the supposed stone that dates an Apocalypse in 2012? It's with some stones that cover events in 4772 as well. So if there is a Mayan Apocalypse, it's, umm, a non-apocalyptic one.
And three, my favorite quote from the article. "But most archaeologists, astronomers and Maya say the only thing likely to hit Earth is a meteor shower of New Age philosophy, pop astronomy, Internet doomsday rumors and TV specials".
Chile Pixtun, a Guatemalan, notes that the doomsday theories spring from Western, not Mayan ideas. So read that article. And, sorry to rain on your apocalypse, but it ain't gonna happen.
.. is just another year.
The Satellite Diaries
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Surveys Show Global Warming Belief Doesn't Change With The Weather
- The BPA Paradox – Too Many Studies?
- Reasons Serious Scientists Should Not Fear The Winnower and other OA Open Review Journals.
- Education: Stop New Age Thinking, Chalk And Talk Might Be The Best Way After All
- Big Data Could Be A Big Problem For Workplace Discrimination Law
- "Where's the beef?..."
- "Your statement is outrageous. What mistake have I made? Please elaborate. The scientists quoted..."
- "I think that is due to the Winnower being in Beta. ..."
- "Jon, I think that with all due respect you have made a serious mistake with this article which..."
- "I am a leftist. I am for a revenue-nuetral carbon tax. Having the CO2 externalities part of the..."
- News from Annals of Internal Medicine Supplement
- Boy moms more social in chimpanzees
- Unmanned underwater vehicle provides first 3-D images of underside of Antarctic sea ice
- CT scans of coral skeletons reveal ocean acidity increases reef erosion
- Study finds way to conserve soil and water in world's driest wheat region