Is the author of 'open notebook astronomy' an idiot? Over at 365DOA, there is a full article on open notebook astronomy. What is open notebook? Making your data and your work visible, rather than only presenting the subset you find personally relevant.
How does this help science? Well, I could re-imagine the above article, but without openness. Instead, I just present the parts that I think are relevant to my argument that the author of open notebook astronomy is, indeed, an idiot.
To support this, he starts with "Much of [...] an astronomer [is] a secret." I argue that means he can't be trusted on issues of openness, since he himself is stating he is secret. Further, he suggests "tax payers [...] should be made public." This suggests that you, ordinary solid citizens all, should have publically visible lives while scientists remain secret? I think not.
Then, this supposed professor of openness says "Most of all, [...] keeping [sic] the inner workings of science secret!". Okay, we get it, you want to keep it secret yet are arguing for open notebook science. Seems a bit of a conflict, really?
He doesn't want to just share your data, he wants to enslave you, only under the guise of 'sharing. "as Kindergarten might tell you,
sharing is good. [...] we could have patented [...] a podcaster that you happen to take a
fancy too… and you end up having names like comet
Shoemaker-Levy 9". Patenting people then naming they as numbers? Sheer lunacy!
You could argue I'm taking quotes out of context. To know for sure, you'll have to check the original article. But isn't that the point of open notebook science-- that the best path to accuracy is to provide all your original source material?
Until next week,
Tuesdays at The Satellite Diaries and weekly at The Daytime Astronomer (twitter @skyday)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- "Imaginary Bullshit Planet" Nibiru - Lens Flares, Sun Mirages, Hoaxes & Just Plain Silly
- Today's Disposable Society: Pharmaceuticals And Other Contaminants Of Emerging Concern
- Aging Star's Weight Loss Secret Revealed
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- Use Caution In Prescribing Ritalin To Treat ADHD
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- "Hi Thank you for all the positive logic. I've been so worried I've been to see my Gp so any reassurance..."
- "wat I don't get is y the date keeps changing ive just read it could be tomorrow then its December..."
- "The whole thing, astronomically, is just nonsense. If someone just said, say, that some ancient..."
- "On a first reading, I saw the tiltle as Paleofoods. ..."
- "To make things clearer (since it was not stated until near the end of the article), Dimetrodon..."
- Osteoarthritis finding sheds new light on HA injection controversy
- As 2nd anniversary nears of Ebola breakout in West Africa, nurse provides firsthand account of combating Ebola
- Satellite video shows Hurricane Sandra moving north along Mexico's west coast
- Can physical exercise enhance long-term memory?
- Great Barrier Reef protecting against landslides, tsunamis