Is the author of 'open notebook astronomy' an idiot? Over at 365DOA, there is a full article on open notebook astronomy. What is open notebook? Making your data and your work visible, rather than only presenting the subset you find personally relevant.
How does this help science? Well, I could re-imagine the above article, but without openness. Instead, I just present the parts that I think are relevant to my argument that the author of open notebook astronomy is, indeed, an idiot.
To support this, he starts with "Much of [...] an astronomer [is] a secret." I argue that means he can't be trusted on issues of openness, since he himself is stating he is secret. Further, he suggests "tax payers [...] should be made public." This suggests that you, ordinary solid citizens all, should have publically visible lives while scientists remain secret? I think not.
Then, this supposed professor of openness says "Most of all, [...] keeping [sic] the inner workings of science secret!". Okay, we get it, you want to keep it secret yet are arguing for open notebook science. Seems a bit of a conflict, really?
He doesn't want to just share your data, he wants to enslave you, only under the guise of 'sharing. "as Kindergarten might tell you,
sharing is good. [...] we could have patented [...] a podcaster that you happen to take a
fancy too… and you end up having names like comet
Shoemaker-Levy 9". Patenting people then naming they as numbers? Sheer lunacy!
You could argue I'm taking quotes out of context. To know for sure, you'll have to check the original article. But isn't that the point of open notebook science-- that the best path to accuracy is to provide all your original source material?
Until next week,
Tuesdays at The Satellite Diaries and weekly at The Daytime Astronomer (twitter @skyday)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Erupting Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Sits On A Massive Magma Hot Spot
- Climate Change Caused By The Ocean
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- Genetically Modified Stem Cells Kill Brain Tumors
- How Gut Bacteria Ensure A Healthy Brain – and Could Play A Role In Treating Depression
- Psychiatry Should Switch From Symptom-based Prescriptions To Target-based
- We're Too Late To Prevent 137,000 More Ebola Cases, Says Epidemiology Paper
- "Underage drinking is declining in the US - has been for about a decade. Don't easily available..."
- "A lower range of likely values for climate sensitivity, a larger role from the oceans, if..."
- "But do you understand that these futuristic machines may also be used to study the property of..."
- "Both in this article and the press release from ASU Biodesign are carefully worded allusion to..."
- "These are idiotic concerns. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs aren't always used to treat inflammation..."
- How to sell a toxic pesticide the smart way–call it organic
- Leftist dystopia? Anti-technology fever animates opposition to GMOs and other ‘disruptive’ technologies
- CDC faced a nearly impossible balancing act with Ebola, and failed
- Why Chobani reversed course, making yoghurt only from milk from cows not fed GMO grain
- Monterey, California, hotbed of anti-GMO activism, home to new GMO corn farm
- Evolution is sometimes messy or even outright ridiculous