I recently took a look around my department to see what academic scientists are reading. I ignored the stacks of research papers, because I know that no-one ever gets around to reading them. It seems that the most common reading materials for academic scientists are comics (at least for the grad students).
Two of the most common information sources are XKCD (for technical information) and "Piled Higher and Deeper" (for reporting on academic culture). PhD comics are really made for the grad student. If you don't understand the name, think of the common meaning of "BS". Then think of how you might interpret "BS, MS, PhD". If you still don't get it, then you'll just have to check out the 200 most popular PhD comics.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- 3X Saturated Fat In The Diet Doesn't Increase It In Blood
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Genetic Clues Of Severe Food Allergy
- GMO Labels Are Good For The $105 Billion Organic Industry - But No One Else
- Why Computer Programs Can't Understand Truth - And Ethics Of Artificial Intelligence Babies
- Deep-Earth Carbon Could Have Sparked Origin Of Life On Earth
- Is Religion A Consolation Worth Having?
- "As an earlier cigarette smoker and now e-cig smoker, I can confirm they don't help you quit. As..."
- "Reality? What is reality if you use irrational arguments to justify man's cruelty toward..."
- "Always loved the Heels that showed of the instep (arches) ..."
- "By the way, I am a fan of your blog. It's one of the few places I can follow physics without getting..."
- "Hello Anon,you're entirely right, it's arbitrary and it does not provide protection against cases..."
- Gene in kidney may play role in high blood pressure
- Panel-based genetic diagnostic testing for inherited eye disease proves highly accurate
- Research finds tooth enamel fast-track in humans
- Good news for cocaine users: Caffeine counters cocaine's effects on women's estrus cycles
- Clipping proteins that package genes may limit abnormal cell growth in tumors
Books By Writers Here