I recently took a look around my department to see what academic scientists are reading. I ignored the stacks of research papers, because I know that no-one ever gets around to reading them. It seems that the most common reading materials for academic scientists are comics (at least for the grad students).
Two of the most common information sources are XKCD (for technical information) and "Piled Higher and Deeper" (for reporting on academic culture). PhD comics are really made for the grad student. If you don't understand the name, think of the common meaning of "BS". Then think of how you might interpret "BS, MS, PhD". If you still don't get it, then you'll just have to check out the 200 most popular PhD comics.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Nobel Prize To Neutrino Oscillations
- What Is Fat For?
- Machine learning vs NRA, a Grand Challenge
- Lung Cancer Screening Programs Do Not Increase Rates Of Unnecessary Surgeries
- Inflammatory Response May Fan The Flame Of Dietary Fats' Role In Obesity-related Diseases
- Thank You Guido
- Environmental Activism Puts NYC At Risk Of Future Flooding During Hurricanes
- "Hello Luis,thanks for the note. Indeed the field of neutrino physics is acknowledged for the important..."
- "Hi Tommaso,Masatoshi Koshiba and Raymond Davis Jr. got already (for a half) the 2002 Nobel Prize..."
- "You completely skipped the exercise of starting with the multiplication group with 6 elements and..."
- "I hope you are right. I have seen the way many people think by teaching basic science. ..."
- "Real science is much more complicated. Here's the scoop:In order to have autoimmune disease, there..."
- Peeking into our galaxy's stellar nursery
- Dengue epidemics and strong El Nino season
- Ancient alga knew how to survive on land before it left water & evolved into first plant
- Stress in adolescence prepares rats for future challenges
- Testosterone levels improve in obese men following sleeve gastrectomy weight-loss operation