Scientific Name Rubia cordifolia Linn. Family Rubiaceae Used Part Root. Distribution Area A, prickly creeper or climber, common throughout India , ascending to an altitude of 3,750 m. Common Uses . The Indian madder of commerce consists of short rootstocks with numerous cylindrical, smooth and straight roots, about the size of a quill. These are covered with a thin, brownish cork, which peels off in flakes, exposing a red-brown bark marked by longitudinal furrows. The root is sweetish, followed by acrid and hitter taste. The plant is a constituent of many ayurvedic drugs like, septilin, rumalaya and herbinol. Roots are credited with tonic, astringent, antidysenteric, antiseptic, and deobstruent properties. They are used in rheumatism and form an ingredient of several Ayurvedic preparations. Roots are said to be active against taphylococcus aureus and are made into a paste for application into ulcers, inflammations and skin troubles. It is reported that after oral administration of the root decoction, the urine and bones of the patient show a red tinge. Roots are used also for colouring medicinal oils. A decoction of leaves and stems is used as a vermifuge. Extract of R. cordifolia enters into the drug, Septilin, which is employed in the treatment of rhinosinal infections. Similar crude drugs Majitho(Indian Madder) from Rubia majith Roxb. ex Fleming. A variety, R. cordifolia var. khasiana Watt, commonly found throughout Assam and Manipur and extending westward to Nepal is reported to be far richer in the dye than either R. cordifolia or R. sikkimensis.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Global 'Roadmap' Shows Where To Put Roads Without Costing The Earth
- Schrödinger's Picture: Researchers Take An Image Without Ever Detecting Light
- Old Dope, New Tricks: The New Science Of Medical Cannabis
- Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing: Why Pregnant Women Should Love Blood Tests
- E-Cigarettes Versus Cigarettes: 10X Decrease In Second-Hand Smoke
- Aconite: Chinese Herbal Medicine Turns Deadly
- Anger Face Is Universal, And It Evolved Because Of Psychology
- "ED, let me just say this about the math issues. Since the Winnower Paper I've been submitted..."
- "Well, now we just have to solve the prescription drug deaths issue...."
- "I got your email. I'm not entirely sure why you told me all that. As I said before to LFB, titles..."
- "Thanks Anonymous you have provided one of the best arguments to any one of my comments on this..."
- "Just blew the dust of a well respected Modern Physics text: ... neuclear p-p [proton-proton] potential..."