Scientific Name Rubia cordifolia Linn. Family Rubiaceae Used Part Root. Distribution Area A, prickly creeper or climber, common throughout India , ascending to an altitude of 3,750 m. Common Uses . The Indian madder of commerce consists of short rootstocks with numerous cylindrical, smooth and straight roots, about the size of a quill. These are covered with a thin, brownish cork, which peels off in flakes, exposing a red-brown bark marked by longitudinal furrows. The root is sweetish, followed by acrid and hitter taste. The plant is a constituent of many ayurvedic drugs like, septilin, rumalaya and herbinol. Roots are credited with tonic, astringent, antidysenteric, antiseptic, and deobstruent properties. They are used in rheumatism and form an ingredient of several Ayurvedic preparations. Roots are said to be active against taphylococcus aureus and are made into a paste for application into ulcers, inflammations and skin troubles. It is reported that after oral administration of the root decoction, the urine and bones of the patient show a red tinge. Roots are used also for colouring medicinal oils. A decoction of leaves and stems is used as a vermifuge. Extract of R. cordifolia enters into the drug, Septilin, which is employed in the treatment of rhinosinal infections. Similar crude drugs Majitho(Indian Madder) from Rubia majith Roxb. ex Fleming. A variety, R. cordifolia var. khasiana Watt, commonly found throughout Assam and Manipur and extending westward to Nepal is reported to be far richer in the dye than either R. cordifolia or R. sikkimensis.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Small Topics on Neutrino’s for Discussion
- Systems Biology Post-Docs May Have A New Best Friend In...Philip Morris?
- Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey - The Review
- How Astronauts Could Try Tethered Artificial Gravity For First Time - On Soyuz Visit to ISS
- Iron Deficiency Does Not Cause People To Become Vegans
- Top Asymmetry: The Latest From DZERO
- Crystals Ripple In Response To Light
- " If an estimate is statistically significant, it’s probably an overestimate. Hank, I had to laugh..."
- "We'll see how the game changes if / when we discover rocky, liquid-water exoplanets within 25 lightyears..."
- "This is nonsense. Most of the people complaining about NSA spying are using GMail, Yahoo..."
- "Good writeup. I'll probably write up something myself from the perspective of one of us not..."
- "And then they overthrew Mubarak. I think further research is called for...."
- Education 'protects' poor women from fattening effects of rising wealth
- Deer proliferation disrupts a forest's natural growth
- New guidelines employ a team approach to autism diagnosis and care
- Research on 3D scaffolds sets new bar in lung regeneration
- New NASA Van Allen Probes observations helping to improve space weather models