According to an analysis by Dr. Kathryn Wilson, associate professor of economics at Kent State University and colleagues, the United States has the highest level of income inequality among all rich nations. For example, low-income households, or those at the 10th percentile of the income distribution, spend approximately $8,900 per year per child, while high-income families, or those at the 90th percentile, spend $50,000 per child.
“People like to think of America as the land of opportunities,” says Wilson. “The irony is that our country actually has less social mobility and more inequality than most developed countries.”
In a recent study funded by the Russell Sage Foundation, Wilson and Dr. Timothy Smeeding of Syracuse University and Dr. Robert Haveman of University of Wisconsin-Madison, examined social mobility, or the ability to move up or down the economic ladder, in the United States. Specifically, they investigated the relationship between parental socioeconomic status and offspring socioeconomic status by studying three variables: family income, education and occupation class.
Their research found that parental income seems to have a large effect on offspring income. A primary reason for less mobility for those from lower income families is less educational attainment; however Wilson suggests that lack of money to pay for education is not the primary reason for less educational attainment but rather factors such as parental expectations or knowledge of the higher education system result in less education for those from lower income backgrounds.
In addition, parental education and occupational class were found to be stronger predictors of offspring educational attainment than parental income.
- Kent State University
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Be In Such A Rush To Go Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- No Go Area! What? What is that?
- Hubble Spots Europa Geysers Again - How They Did It - And What Next? Flyby? Lander?
- Why Psychology Lost Its Soul - Science Replaced It
- Are There Two Higgses ? No, And I Won Another Bet!
- "Hi mr walker im 64 years old and never before heard of this planet called nibiru or whatever its..."
- "Thanks for your support. I hope so also :)...."
- "hey mr walker this is history of nibiru it's over. now let´s make these sensationalist sites not..."
- "Yes, it is made up by people who don't understand basic ideas in astronomy and must have flunked..."
- "Yes, but you can argue the other way. It is not real and can't be real, because it's impossible..."
- Celebrate Oktoberfest with Beer Chemistry
- Littlest Consumers Doing Well, Nutrition-wise
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Exciting News, But Don't Throw Away the Condoms Just Yet
- Ben & Jerry’s Asks Us to Take Big Lick of Fear & Hype
- A Cocktail of Wild Viruses Treats Bacterial Wound Infections in Mice
- The Scientific Advisors at Theranos Won't (or Can't) Talk
- Brown adipose tissue can secrete factors that activate fat and carbohydrate metabolism
- Therapeutic Gene Delivery for Inherited Retinal Degeneration in Children
- Molecular atlas of the pancreas
- 6 steps to extinction
- Chemical weapons are still being used in Iraq but the Obama administration doesn't talk about it
About Us |