According to an analysis by Dr. Kathryn Wilson, associate professor of economics at Kent State University and colleagues, the United States has the highest level of income inequality among all rich nations. For example, low-income households, or those at the 10th percentile of the income distribution, spend approximately $8,900 per year per child, while high-income families, or those at the 90th percentile, spend $50,000 per child.
“People like to think of America as the land of opportunities,” says Wilson. “The irony is that our country actually has less social mobility and more inequality than most developed countries.”
In a recent study funded by the Russell Sage Foundation, Wilson and Dr. Timothy Smeeding of Syracuse University and Dr. Robert Haveman of University of Wisconsin-Madison, examined social mobility, or the ability to move up or down the economic ladder, in the United States. Specifically, they investigated the relationship between parental socioeconomic status and offspring socioeconomic status by studying three variables: family income, education and occupation class.
Their research found that parental income seems to have a large effect on offspring income. A primary reason for less mobility for those from lower income families is less educational attainment; however Wilson suggests that lack of money to pay for education is not the primary reason for less educational attainment but rather factors such as parental expectations or knowledge of the higher education system result in less education for those from lower income backgrounds.
In addition, parental education and occupational class were found to be stronger predictors of offspring educational attainment than parental income.
- Kent State University
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Will Female Viagra Be An FDA Boner?
- Grading The President's Strategy To Promote Bee Health
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Catechins In Green Tea Reduce Prostate Cancer In Men At High Risk
- The Atlantic Ocean's Cool Phase Will Change The World's Weather
- Highlights Of The INFN School Of Statistics For Physicists
- Programmatic Marketing: Sometimes It Actually Is Rocket Science
- "We usually tried to avoid ethanol for obvious reasons, but were fine with DMSO. Didn't much care..."
- "When that paragraph started, I assumed it was one of the practical physics challenges as part of..."
- "This is celastrol, the active compound under investigation. I looked up the page for Tripterygium..."
- "Right now, at efficacious doses, we are getting it into solution with PEG and ethanol. If I wanted..."
- "This article is rubbish from headline to conclusion. The headline statement tries to present a..."