Generex Biotechnology Corporation has announced publication of a follow-up study from a Phase I clinical trial of the immunotherapeutic agent AE37 in patients with prostate cancer. The study demonstrates an association between a specific immune response generated by AE37 and improved overall survival.
A prior study showed that AE37-immunized patients had better overall and disease-free survival as a group than would be expected from their disease status and the current study shows that patients with the strongest immunological response did the best. In particular, both the presence of AE37-induced T cells in peripheral blood as well as a robust delayed type hypersensitivity (DTH) response elicited by AE37 correlated significantly with overall survival.
The authors point out the importance of CD4+ T cells in developing a good DTH response. AE37 was developed using the Antigen Express Ii-Key technology platform that ensures robust, specific CD4+ T cell activation.
The current report expands upon prior studies on the results of a Phase I trial of AE37 in patients with prostate cancer.
AE37 is also the subject of a controlled, randomized Phase II trial to prevent recurrence in patients who have had breast cancer. That study has shown an encouraging trend toward preventing relapse, particularly in patients with low levels of HER2 expression and in triple negative patients. The search for reliable biomarkers is a key priority in the emerging field of cancer immunotherapy.
Article: "AE37 peptide vaccination in prostate cancer: identification of biomarkers in the context of prognosis and prediction," Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy July 23, 2014.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Planck on BICEP2 "It turns out that the part of the dust had been significantly underestimated." UPDATED
- Acceptance Of Evolution Is Far Higher Than Acceptance Of Other Biology
- Prevent Alzheimer's Disease By Drinking Beer?
- The ATLAS Top Production Asymmetry And One Thing I Do Not Like Of It
- New Rapid Test Kit Detects Dengue Antibodies From Saliva
- Hardwired For Miscommunication? Why Women Think Sex When Men Just Want To Be Friends
- Lower Sea Level In Europe Caused By Ocean Surface Slope
- " Beyond Einstein and E=mc2 pp.546, Chapters 7 Publisher, Cambridge International Science Publisher..."
- "Nuclear is only high cost because we don't do it;.... the upfront cost is too high due to no one..."
- "I think the article you linked examined the other conditional. The authors statement examines P(Party..."
- "The comment section proves the author's point. It is always amazing to see how far the left's confirmation..."
- "What is funny about that; 8 years ago when we started, the denial community said global warming..."
- One of the world's rarest large cats, the Saharan cheetah, caught on film!
- Hot spots mapped: Arsenic taints many U.S. wells
- Copy number variations: Sequencing genetic duplications could aid clinical interpretation
- Study analyzes Internet, mobile and video game effects on young users
- The source of gypsum in the longest cave system in the world