Generex Biotechnology Corporation has announced publication of a follow-up study from a Phase I clinical trial of the immunotherapeutic agent AE37 in patients with prostate cancer. The study demonstrates an association between a specific immune response generated by AE37 and improved overall survival.
A prior study showed that AE37-immunized patients had better overall and disease-free survival as a group than would be expected from their disease status and the current study shows that patients with the strongest immunological response did the best. In particular, both the presence of AE37-induced T cells in peripheral blood as well as a robust delayed type hypersensitivity (DTH) response elicited by AE37 correlated significantly with overall survival.
The authors point out the importance of CD4+ T cells in developing a good DTH response. AE37 was developed using the Antigen Express Ii-Key technology platform that ensures robust, specific CD4+ T cell activation.
The current report expands upon prior studies on the results of a Phase I trial of AE37 in patients with prostate cancer.
AE37 is also the subject of a controlled, randomized Phase II trial to prevent recurrence in patients who have had breast cancer. That study has shown an encouraging trend toward preventing relapse, particularly in patients with low levels of HER2 expression and in triple negative patients. The search for reliable biomarkers is a key priority in the emerging field of cancer immunotherapy.
Article: "AE37 peptide vaccination in prostate cancer: identification of biomarkers in the context of prognosis and prediction," Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy July 23, 2014.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- "This is way off topic, but Bush tried to fix the problem about 15 years ago for my generation and..."
- "But hold on, I've contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars, that if it collected compounded..."
- "so what is happening with the 2 tev excess?..."
- "Well, thanks - indeed I have the same impression :) And I do share your feelings about the recruitment..."
- "Exactly - the newest generation of hep C drugs have also drawn a lot of fire, but direct comparisons..."
- Clinical validation for LOXO-101 against TRK fusion cancer
- It don't mean a thing if the brain ain't got that swing
- Very early birth correlated to introversion, neuroticism, and risk aversion in adulthood
- Personality disorders drive psychiatric patients to euthanasia
- Schizophrenia's 'Rosetta Stone' gene identified