Generex Biotechnology Corporation has announced publication of a follow-up study from a Phase I clinical trial of the immunotherapeutic agent AE37 in patients with prostate cancer. The study demonstrates an association between a specific immune response generated by AE37 and improved overall survival.
A prior study showed that AE37-immunized patients had better overall and disease-free survival as a group than would be expected from their disease status and the current study shows that patients with the strongest immunological response did the best. In particular, both the presence of AE37-induced T cells in peripheral blood as well as a robust delayed type hypersensitivity (DTH) response elicited by AE37 correlated significantly with overall survival.
The authors point out the importance of CD4+ T cells in developing a good DTH response. AE37 was developed using the Antigen Express Ii-Key technology platform that ensures robust, specific CD4+ T cell activation.
The current report expands upon prior studies on the results of a Phase I trial of AE37 in patients with prostate cancer.
AE37 is also the subject of a controlled, randomized Phase II trial to prevent recurrence in patients who have had breast cancer. That study has shown an encouraging trend toward preventing relapse, particularly in patients with low levels of HER2 expression and in triple negative patients. The search for reliable biomarkers is a key priority in the emerging field of cancer immunotherapy.
Article: "AE37 peptide vaccination in prostate cancer: identification of biomarkers in the context of prognosis and prediction," Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy July 23, 2014.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Microwave Electron Guns: A Field-Emission Plug-And-Play Solution
- Ancient Buried Canyon In South Tibet Rules Out Tectonic Aneurysm
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- In A Snowstorm, Do You Want Salt Or Vegetable Juice On Your Road?
- Extraordinary Claims: Review My Paper For $10
- The BPA Paradox – Too Many Studies?
- "Way to miss the point of the article, genius. Let me guess, you call yourself a nice guy?..."
- "Seriously? You reveal the final scene of a movie and yet do not provide a spoiler alert in advance..."
- "Well, that is not a great example. If you prefer basketball, you don't watch the NBA at all. ..."
- "Men are better athletes than women. If someone had a choice between watching the NBA and the WNBA..."
- "Why did you find it interesting? It's a rather bland political statement by someone not even in..."
- Only half of patients take their medications as prescribed
- Rare new species of plant: Stachys caroliniana
- Research shows anti-HIV medicines can cause damage to fetal hearts
- Self-regulation intervention boosts school readiness of at-risk children, study shows
- New terahertz device could strengthen security