Even if you are not aware of everything you take in, your eyes are sending visual information to your brain. This unconscious seeing is evidenced in a phenomenon called "blindsight", where people have no awareness, but their brains can see - even in subjects with visual impairment, caused by damage to a part of the brain called the visual cortex.
It has long been known that some patients with damage in the visual cortex, who cannot see, can still walk and avoid obstacles but that was nor proof they were using blindsight. A new study demonstrated that blindsight in monkeys is present - and in ordinary environments, not a controlled laboratory.
The researchers previously showed blindsight in monkeys with damage in the visual area of the brain. They were able to turn their eyes to 'unseen' visual stimuli. But that was under specific laboratory conditions. For the new work they recorded eye movements of monkeys freely watching video clips of everyday life scenes. They found that the monkeys were able to turn their eyes to the prominent portions of videos in term of motion, brightness or color. By looking at the eye movements of the monkeys with visual disability, they could determine what they pay attention to, although they do not see. Blindsight.
Assistant Professor Masatoshi Yoshida, from The National Institute for Physiological Sciences in Japan said, "This new finding indicates that blindsight can be used in everyday life of patients with hemianopia by cerebrovascular disorder. Then, there is the possibility that patients with visual impairment can recover their hidden visual function by rehabilitation." He also said "measurement of eye movements during viewing movie clips can be an efficient method to examine how well the patients can see unconsciously."
Published in Current Biology.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The New York Times On Drugs - Wrong, Naive Or Misleading?
- Women With Endometriosis Need More Support, Less Judgment
- Mutation May Cause Early Loss Of Sperm Supply
- Recent Results From Super-Kamiokande
- Olive Oil Destroys Cancer Cells
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- The Law has Failed, Not Forensic Science
- "Hi Robert, Excellent expressions!!! I am currently writing a short story which involves a scenario..."
- "The military hires and does some pretty nice pure science work, e.g., Shiva Star USAF to Sandia..."
- "Impressive fellow this Yale man. He's excellent at making declarations, and I'm impressed by his..."
- "People are seeing the dress as ivory and gold, not ivory and black. Sorry dude!..."
- "Confidence in an all-sufficient worldview would have to be sourced in a universal point of reference..."
- Preclinical Proof-of-Principle of MOTS-c and its Role in Metabolic Regulation
- Brain waves and moving toward a unified theory of consciousness control
- Study identifies first-ever human population adaptation to toxic chemical, arsenic
- How much overdetection is acceptable in cancer screening?
- MOTS-c: Newly discovered hormone mimics the effects of exercise
Books By Writers Here