Though breast cancer death rates have been in decline for 20 years, black women had higher death rates than other demographics in the newest Centers for Disease Control report covering 2005-2009. Breast cancer remains the most common cancer and is the second leading cause of cancer death among U.S. women, about 40,000 deaths annually.
Earlier detection and better treatment are the biggest reason for the recent drop in breast cancer deaths overall but black women who develop breast cancer still have a 9% greater chance of dying than white women. The biggest factor in the higher mortality is that black women often have cancers that grow faster and are harder to treat but some of the reason the advanced stage breast cancer rate is 10% higher might be that black women have fewer social and economic resources than other women and are less likely to seek prompt follow-up care when their mammogram shows something that is not normal.
The CDC report notes that preventive benefits and coverage provided by the Affordable Care Act, including coverage of mammograms without co-pays in many health plans beginning in 2014, should close that gap.
The researchers reviewed data on new cases of invasive breast cancer reported during 2005 through 2009 from CDC’s National Program of Cancer Registries and the National Cancer Institute’s Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results Program. Breast cancer deaths were based on death certificates submitted to National Vital Statistics System.
“Although we are making progress reducing deaths from breast cancer, we have much work to do to reduce preventable deaths, particularly among African-American women,” said CDC Director Thomas R. Frieden, M.D., M.P.H. “Only when every woman receives adequate screening, timely follow-up, and high-quality treatment, will the full benefit of breast cancer screening be achieved.”
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- It's Life, Jim, But Not As We Know It
- What Does Your Gut Microbiome Have To Do With Your Immune System?
- Big Data Tackles How Urban Movement Is Linked To Social Activity
- Naming Game Theory Shows How Zealots Sway Popular Opinion
- Adult Stem Cell Transplants Reach 1 Million Worldwide - And Are Still Underused
- Tracking Parasites With Satellites
- "I appreciate that climate scientists are now beginning to recognize an element of natural variation..."
- "Doug:What do you mean by R in your graphs, and the circle with a radius arrow?If, as in the case..."
- "Of course there's one possible explanation for the lack of warming - one that is so obvious, but..."
- "I guess the reason FC persists is that it works! Under appropriate conditions large numbers of..."
- "The researchers conclude that given past historical patterns of variation in the AMO and PMO, this..."
- Robust scientific evidence that chronic fatigue syndrome is a biological illness
- Life 'not as we know it' possible on Saturn's moon Titan?
- For patients with brain tumors, insurance status linked to differences in patient safety and quality of care
- Anti-stroke drugs, minus the side effects
- Local media coverage positive toward local businesses