Harrisvaccines has been granted United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) conditional licensure of the company's Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus (PEDv) Vaccine.
PEDv is a highly contagious swine disease that entered the United States in April 2013. PEDv causes vomiting and diarrhea in older animals and extreme dehydration and mortality of up to 100 percent in piglets that are less than one week of age. Since entering the U.S. a year ago, PEDv has spread to nearly 30 states and throughout North America, causing the death of millions of piglets. PEDv is not a zoonotic disease, and therefore cannot spread to humans, but it has cost the pork industry and consumers hundreds of millions of dollars.
This is the first USDA conditional license granted for a PEDv vaccine since the initial outbreak and it will allow Harrisvaccines to sell their vaccine directly to the veterinarians and swine producers battling PEDv.
The USDA generally grants conditional licenses in order to meet an emergency or unmet need. A conditionally licensed product must show a reasonable expectation of efficacy and all safety and purity requirements must be met. Harrisvaccines has received USDA licensure in the past using SirraVaxSM technology for its Swine Influenza vaccine (September 2012) and an Autogenous Vaccine, RNA for Rotavirus C (January 2013).
"The impact of this disease has been devastating," said Dr. Hank Harris, Founder and CEO of Harrisvaccines. "At Harrisvaccines, we recognized the great threat that PEDv posed to the industry immediately and that is why we are able to introduce the first USDA conditionally licensed PEDv vaccine on the market."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lexus Hoverboard Gets Off The Ground
- Vegan Diets Works Better For Weight Loss Than Vegetarian Or Atkins
- Asteroid Day Today, 30th June - Let's Find These Rocks And Deflect Them
- High-Fat Diet And Natural Hormone May Alleviate Mitochondrial Disease
- Qualitative Research: Lessons From Rashomon
- Antibiotic Incentives: Marketing Vs. Education
- "This is in defiance of everything we know about cellular respiration. The notion that an energy..."
- "The above was not proofed and as for grammar well it was the working notes. Sorry..."
- "During the 1970s in California the plumbers and associated trade unions attempted to get PVC outlaw..."
- "I read somewhere that a study showed that a telescope at Venus' orbit would not find any asteroids..."
- "May I suggest you read this blog Sugar and Fat Absorption Increased In Obesity http://medicalresearch..."
- Phase IIb Pivotal Clinical Study of P2B001 for the Treatment of Early Stage Parkinson's Disease
- Women's faces get redder at ovulation, but human eyes can't pick up on it
- Friction reduction breakthrough is not snake oil
- Is abortion in America about to get restricted?
- South Africans used milk-based paint 49,000 years ago