A new study in mice shows that even short-term consumption of a Western diet rich in saturated fats and fructose is more damaging for healthy liver development than following a high fat diet alone, which provides new insight into the effects of adding fructose to a Western diet high in fat.
Dr. Susanna Iossa, who led the study at the University of Naples, Italy, said, “This result points to the harmful effect of adding fructose to the usual western, high-fat diet and, together with other related findings, should stimulate the discussion on the use of fructose and fructose-containing sweeteners in beverages and packaged foods.
“We performed the research by using an animal model of adult sedentary humans, consisting of adult rats, that were fed for two weeks with either a low-fat diet, a high-fat diet or a diet rich in fat and fructose. This latter diet is very similar in composition to the diet consumed by the large majority of the Western population. After the diet period, we evaluated liver function and we found that the presence of fructose in the high-fat diet exacerbated the impairment of this important metabolic organ, by increasing the build-up of fat in the liver, and decreasing liver insulin sensitivity.
“Much more research should be undertaken in the future, especially regarding the impact of the high-fat high-fructose diet on other metabolically important organs, in order to establish the real impact of this unhealthy dietary habit on health and well-being.”
Citation: Crescenzo R, Bianco F, Coppola P, Mazzoli A, Tussellino M, Carotenuto R, Liverini G, Iossa S. (2014) Fructose supplementation worsens the deleterious effects of short-term high-fat feeding on hepatic steatosis and lipid metabolism in adult rats. Experimental Physiology.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Do 'Typical' Sexual Fantasies Even Exist?
- Big Data Engineering - Now With More Neuroscience
- Golden Ratio Of Space-Time?
- This Battery Has One Billion Components - But Is The Size Of A Postage Stamp
- Chronic Pain Isn't All In The Brain
- Like Collaboration And Intelligence In Humans? Thank War
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- "This is truly scary. A justification for fascism in the name of science and a more perfect human..."
- "Dear Anonymous:Please provide evidence for you claim that ANY of the independent, non-industry..."
- "If there is residue in the nectar then there will be residue in honey. And I've seen an abstract..."
- "Very interesting. The only problem with space habitats as I can see is that a single piece of rock..."
- "Re: But what about the honey? Beekeepers from Canada and the UK have found that canola is an excellent..."
Books By Writers Here