A new study in mice shows that even short-term consumption of a Western diet rich in saturated fats and fructose is more damaging for healthy liver development than following a high fat diet alone, which provides new insight into the effects of adding fructose to a Western diet high in fat.
Dr. Susanna Iossa, who led the study at the University of Naples, Italy, said, “This result points to the harmful effect of adding fructose to the usual western, high-fat diet and, together with other related findings, should stimulate the discussion on the use of fructose and fructose-containing sweeteners in beverages and packaged foods.
“We performed the research by using an animal model of adult sedentary humans, consisting of adult rats, that were fed for two weeks with either a low-fat diet, a high-fat diet or a diet rich in fat and fructose. This latter diet is very similar in composition to the diet consumed by the large majority of the Western population. After the diet period, we evaluated liver function and we found that the presence of fructose in the high-fat diet exacerbated the impairment of this important metabolic organ, by increasing the build-up of fat in the liver, and decreasing liver insulin sensitivity.
“Much more research should be undertaken in the future, especially regarding the impact of the high-fat high-fructose diet on other metabolically important organs, in order to establish the real impact of this unhealthy dietary habit on health and well-being.”
Citation: Crescenzo R, Bianco F, Coppola P, Mazzoli A, Tussellino M, Carotenuto R, Liverini G, Iossa S. (2014) Fructose supplementation worsens the deleterious effects of short-term high-fat feeding on hepatic steatosis and lipid metabolism in adult rats. Experimental Physiology.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Top Mass: CMS Again On Top!
- The Enemy Of Archaeology Is Not People, It's Salt
- Science Graduates Are Not Good At Math – But Why?
- The Glaciers Of Mars
- Why Ice Sheets Will Keep Melting For Centuries To Come
- Depression Surveys Linked To Unnecessary Antidepressant Prescriptions
- The Origin Of Neptune And Uranus
- "Regarding Vlad III. Drăculea, the Romanians still regard him as something of a hero. ..."
- "I just can't enthuse about the top quark because its existence has been inferred. It's ephemeral..."
- "Eventually, by analyzing LHC Run 2 data and combining all inputs, we will nail down the top quark..."
- "I've long pictured a brain as a bunch of rail yards, and signals are trains.When you're learning..."
- "I'm suggesting you can design a synthetic silicon neuron, and be able to export and import the..."
- Laser-guided sea monkeys show how zooplankton migrations may affect global ocean currents
- Taking thin films to the extreme
- Unexpected new mechanism reveals how molecules become trapped in ice
- Breakthrough study discovers 6 changing faces of 'global killer' bacteria
- New blood test determines whether you have or are likely to get cancer