Hydrogen as a fuel source sounds wonderful - its byproduct is water and it releases no CO2. The problem is that compressed hydrogen is scary while uncompressed hydrogen means hauling a container the size of a bus behind your car.
Some people are okay with long charging times and short driving distances for electric cars so if the charging times are eliminated, distance may not be a problem. But adoption is tough - people don't want to buy something before it is viable but it won't become viable until a lot of people buy it. It's the technology variation on the chicken-egg problem.
Hydrogen-XT, Inc., a Houston-based technology company, say they have solved the problem with patent-protected, "next generation" hydrogen (H2) fueling system. Hydrogen-XT uses software that locates stations and displays fuel availability, reserves the amount a customer wants, routes them to the selected station and then completes the transaction. Early H2 adopters can have confidence that they will be able to locate, reserve and purchase fuel whenever it is needed because Hydrogen-XT includes a small, inexpensive fueling station that reforms hydrogen from natural gas.
Hydrogen-XT's station is designed to be cost effective and they estimate it is 100 times less expensive than conventional H2 stations available today. The station is modular, so they say it is easily upgraded.
Will it work? Waiting for hydrogen mega-stations or, worse, subsidizing hydrogen mega-stations, is not a great plan because Big Hydrogen lacks any lobbyists, but a smartphone app and thousands of small, networked H2 outlets installed at existing gas stations, corner stores and parking lots across America may get hydrogen in the marketplace.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition Signatures Over 10% Of Total Votes Cast
- Better Brains With Beer
- What Did Earth's Ancient Magnetic Field Look Like?
- Some Celiac Disease May Be Due To Viruses
- Beneficial Bacteria May Protect Breasts From Cancer
- Finding All-Hadronic Top - Again
- "Of life on the island VS life on the mainland. Yeah. I've heard the same from people..."
- "Some observations for you First of all it seems that you like the other 3.5 million plus people..."
- "It's not evidence. It's just people who don't know the difference between a lens flare, an offset..."
- "I will lean more to the ethics of 23 and Me in that there is no state coercive force of State involved..."
- "However you might be interested to know, we have an interesting system in the Scottish Government..."
- Chemistry Can Help Roast the Perfect Coffee Bean
- What Happens To A Soccer Player’s Brain After Missing A Penalty Kick
- It’s Back to Shots for Flu Prevention
- ACSH Applauds Media Awareness of the Fentanyl Crisis
- Counting Bites Examined, to Help Decrease Food Intake
- The Safe And Unsafe Nutty Treats For Your Pup
- How to stop the United Nations from abusing its immunity
- Study examines quality of end life care for patients with different illnesses
- Improvements needed in end-of-life care for patients with organ failure
- Georgetown Institute launches real-time study of smartphone fertility app use
- After Brexit, Italy May Be Next