Hydrogen as a fuel source sounds wonderful - its byproduct is water and it releases no CO2. The problem is that compressed hydrogen is scary while uncompressed hydrogen means hauling a container the size of a bus behind your car.
Some people are okay with long charging times and short driving distances for electric cars so if the charging times are eliminated, distance may not be a problem. But adoption is tough - people don't want to buy something before it is viable but it won't become viable until a lot of people buy it. It's the technology variation on the chicken-egg problem.
Hydrogen-XT, Inc., a Houston-based technology company, say they have solved the problem with patent-protected, "next generation" hydrogen (H2) fueling system. Hydrogen-XT uses software that locates stations and displays fuel availability, reserves the amount a customer wants, routes them to the selected station and then completes the transaction. Early H2 adopters can have confidence that they will be able to locate, reserve and purchase fuel whenever it is needed because Hydrogen-XT includes a small, inexpensive fueling station that reforms hydrogen from natural gas.
Hydrogen-XT's station is designed to be cost effective and they estimate it is 100 times less expensive than conventional H2 stations available today. The station is modular, so they say it is easily upgraded.
Will it work? Waiting for hydrogen mega-stations or, worse, subsidizing hydrogen mega-stations, is not a great plan because Big Hydrogen lacks any lobbyists, but a smartphone app and thousands of small, networked H2 outlets installed at existing gas stations, corner stores and parking lots across America may get hydrogen in the marketplace.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Standards needed for post-conviction review of scientific evidence
- Cardiovascular Risk Factors And Alzheimer's Disease Genetic Overlap
- Obesity And Prostate Cancer Risk Linked In African-American Men
- Numenta, The Bruce Lee of AI and Deep Learning
- Glass Is Not Liquid But Metal Can Be Both
- James Hansen: To Mitigate Climate Change, Nuclear Energy Should Be Included
- Will Asteroid 2012 TC4 Hit Earth in October 2017?
- "It should tell you all you need to know about vaccine safety when those who manufacture vaccines..."
- "I used to think the same. Internal Combustion Engines are part of a group known as Heat Engines..."
- "The linear range of an alpha particle is very small in materials, typically measured in microns..."
- "Right good point :). I wonder if Pluto will have irregular moons also :).Here is a plot of the..."
- "BTW several of the other KBOs have moons Indeed, counting Pluto, then amongst the 8 largest, five..."
- Dutch doctors withhold/withdraw treatment in many elderly patients
- New guidelines for how to treat a first seizure
- Soil can limit ability of plants to slow climate change
- Women who smoke more likely to give birth to twins
- It shouldn't be there: Black hole hunters use Henize 2-10 to tackle a cosmic conundrum