Hydrogen as a fuel source sounds wonderful - its byproduct is water and it releases no CO2. The problem is that compressed hydrogen is scary while uncompressed hydrogen means hauling a container the size of a bus behind your car.
Some people are okay with long charging times and short driving distances for electric cars so if the charging times are eliminated, distance may not be a problem. But adoption is tough - people don't want to buy something before it is viable but it won't become viable until a lot of people buy it. It's the technology variation on the chicken-egg problem.
Hydrogen-XT, Inc., a Houston-based technology company, say they have solved the problem with patent-protected, "next generation" hydrogen (H2) fueling system. Hydrogen-XT uses software that locates stations and displays fuel availability, reserves the amount a customer wants, routes them to the selected station and then completes the transaction. Early H2 adopters can have confidence that they will be able to locate, reserve and purchase fuel whenever it is needed because Hydrogen-XT includes a small, inexpensive fueling station that reforms hydrogen from natural gas.
Hydrogen-XT's station is designed to be cost effective and they estimate it is 100 times less expensive than conventional H2 stations available today. The station is modular, so they say it is easily upgraded.
Will it work? Waiting for hydrogen mega-stations or, worse, subsidizing hydrogen mega-stations, is not a great plan because Big Hydrogen lacks any lobbyists, but a smartphone app and thousands of small, networked H2 outlets installed at existing gas stations, corner stores and parking lots across America may get hydrogen in the marketplace.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Thou Shalt Have One Higgs - $100 Bet Won !
- Could Astronauts In The ISS Get All Their Oxygen & Food From Algae & Plants?
- FDA Stiffs Go Soft On Pink Viagra
- Stem Cell Research Informed Consent: What To Know
- Breast Cancer Study Misunderstood By Its Authors
- The Spread Of Life Among The Stars
- A Historical Moment For Diabetes
- "this article is not being truthful!its basically saying biblical truth is fabricated!! no one will..."
- "Bottom line is any drug with fluoride in it should be black boxed and restricted to life and death..."
- "I agree. No need to bet to enjoy the race, whatever time it takes. I do hope that the LHC experimenters..."
- "LOL! I laughed so hard at this article! This was before its time- love it. I am the Celiac who..."
- "Hi Tony,let me just say that I do hope your model is correct!!!And after all we don't need to go..."
- Goth teens more vulnerable to depression and self-harm
- 15 percent of cigarettes sold in NYC have illegal tax stamps
- Humans may be harmed by endocrine disrupting chemicals released during fracking, according to review
- Infliximab biosimilar approved in Australia - lower cost is great, but questions about safety remain
- The radiationless revolution in electromagnetics