Hydrogen as a fuel source sounds wonderful - its byproduct is water and it releases no CO2. The problem is that compressed hydrogen is scary while uncompressed hydrogen means hauling a container the size of a bus behind your car.
Some people are okay with long charging times and short driving distances for electric cars so if the charging times are eliminated, distance may not be a problem. But adoption is tough - people don't want to buy something before it is viable but it won't become viable until a lot of people buy it. It's the technology variation on the chicken-egg problem.
Hydrogen-XT, Inc., a Houston-based technology company, say they have solved the problem with patent-protected, "next generation" hydrogen (H2) fueling system. Hydrogen-XT uses software that locates stations and displays fuel availability, reserves the amount a customer wants, routes them to the selected station and then completes the transaction. Early H2 adopters can have confidence that they will be able to locate, reserve and purchase fuel whenever it is needed because Hydrogen-XT includes a small, inexpensive fueling station that reforms hydrogen from natural gas.
Hydrogen-XT's station is designed to be cost effective and they estimate it is 100 times less expensive than conventional H2 stations available today. The station is modular, so they say it is easily upgraded.
Will it work? Waiting for hydrogen mega-stations or, worse, subsidizing hydrogen mega-stations, is not a great plan because Big Hydrogen lacks any lobbyists, but a smartphone app and thousands of small, networked H2 outlets installed at existing gas stations, corner stores and parking lots across America may get hydrogen in the marketplace.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- 2004 BL86 - 'Near Miss' Asteroid Even Has Its Own Moon
- Reviews In Physics - A New Journal
- Planet With Rings Found Outside Solar System - And They Are Bigger Than Saturn
- Drug Culture: Those “Poppers” Might Not Be What You Think
- If Abortion Is A Choice Then Sex Selection Abortion Should Remain Legal
- Wiggles: Inconsistencies Undermine Model Reliability For Projecting Decade-To-Decade Warming
- Happy 150th Birthday To Maxwell's Theory Of Electromagnetism
- "Hello Sven,good questions. Let me give you some possible answers below.1 - the main advantage of..."
- "so boring. we've all heard this already. back to your intermediate level culture studies class..."
- "For what it’s worth, my impression is that here in Britain it is very much a local argument,..."
- "Wow Tommaso that sounds like a real challenge. Starting a new journal isn't easy at all especially..."
- "With increasing amount of information collected the contemporary physics needs to move from specialized..."
- Breast cancer will soon be only the second most common deadly tumor for EU women
- Notch signaling: How cancer turns good cells to the dark side
- Flexible work schedules improve health and sleep for employees
- How to create a scientific process freed from systemic bias
- How to jump-start ecosystem restoration after oil-gas development