Do you long to hear the dulcet sounds of the salpinx, barbiton, aulos or the syrinx? Of course not, because no one has heard them in centuries. Most people have never even heard of them.
But you will soon have the chance to experience musical instruments familiar to ancient civilizations but long since forgotten.
Ancient instruments probably got lost because they were too difficult to build or too difficult to play. The ASTRA (Ancient instruments Sound/Timbre Reconstruction Application) team is tasked with bringing them back to life and already have successfully reconstructed the sound of an earlier instrument called the 'epigonion'.
Using physical modeling synthesis and computer modeling and grid technology, the shared resources of a distributed network of hundreds of computers, ASTRA is working on a whole host of other lost instruments including the salpinx (a kind of ancient trumpet), the barbiton (an ancient bass guitar), the aulos (an ancient oboe) and the syrinx (a pan flute).
The ancient instruments are to be heard soon, after the organization’s official Lost Sounds Orchestra finishes its preparations for a unique performance towards the end of summer.
ASTRA’s Lost Sounds Orchestra is like any other orchestra, with real musicians, rehearsals and performances, but its goal is to offer its audience a completely new kind of music - by going back to the really old kind.
Can't wait? Here is the epigonion playing the Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor (click little arrow and the player comes up).
The sounds of the barbiton and the salpinx are currently being finalized, while a guitar player is familiarizing himself with both the epigonion and the barbiton using aspecially adapted electric MIDI guitar which has been programmed with the lost sounds. The sounds of even more instruments, such as an ancient lower Mediterranean frame drum, should also be completed by the end of summer.
Long forgotten instruments get the modern treatment. Image courtesy Luca Petrella
More: The Lost Sounds Orchestra
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Planck on BICEP2 "It turns out that the part of the dust had been significantly underestimated." UPDATED
- Prevent Alzheimer's Disease By Drinking Beer?
- Acceptance Of Evolution Is Far Higher Than Acceptance Of Other Biology
- The ATLAS Top Production Asymmetry And One Thing I Do Not Like Of It
- New Rapid Test Kit Detects Dengue Antibodies From Saliva
- Hardwired For Miscommunication? Why Women Think Sex When Men Just Want To Be Friends
- "Hi,when you find out for sure you made a mistake, you have the obligation to correct it. But inmost..."
- "The background brings to mind the work produced by Emma Biggs and Matthew Collings, which I like..."
- " Beyond Einstein and E=mc2 pp.546, Chapters 7 Publisher, Cambridge International Science Publisher..."
- "Nuclear is only high cost because we don't do it;.... the upfront cost is too high due to no one..."
- "I think the article you linked examined the other conditional. The authors statement examines P(Party..."
- One of the world's rarest large cats, the Saharan cheetah, caught on film!
- Hot spots mapped: Arsenic taints many U.S. wells
- Copy number variations: Sequencing genetic duplications could aid clinical interpretation
- Study analyzes Internet, mobile and video game effects on young users
- The source of gypsum in the longest cave system in the world