What does science discover when 70 dogs are allowed to relieve themselves in the open country without being on a leash?
That they have something in common; dogs prefer to do their business while in a body-alignment along the magnetic north-south axis - but only during periods of calm magnetic field conditions.
At least they found something. Prior to the discovery, they had to have been frustrated that, in contrast to grazing cows, hunting foxes and landing waterfowl, dogs showed no clear preference for a particular body alignment while doing number one or number two.
Dr. Vlastimil Hart and Prof. Dr. Hynek Burda ran statistical analyses of the more than 7,000 observations, recorded together with the currently prevailing environmental conditions of the location, time of day and other important parameters such as the familiarity of the terrain for each dog. Only when they sorted the collected data according to the small variations of the geomagnetic field during the period of data collection did they strike brown gold.
The irregular, tiny changes in the intensity and declination of the magnetic field lines are recorded by magnetic observatories and freely accessible online and when they combined that with their categorized data the picture became more clear. After taking into account all other factors the researchers concluded they found clear indication of a magnetic sense in our four-legged friends.
To many dog owners who recognize the navigation abilities of their protégés, the findings might not come as a surprise – people often believe their pets have "supernatural" abilities, although it is not clear to science what the dogs might use their magnetic sense for.
Citation: Vlastimil Hart, Petra Nováková, Erich Pascal Malkemper, Sabine Begall, Vladimír Hanzal, et al, 'Dogs are sensitive to small variations of the Earth's magnetic field', Frontiers in Zoology, 2013, 10:80 doi:10.1186/1742-9994-10-80, 27 December 2013
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- "some are saying that's why there is so many videos on youtube so the whole world can see nibiru..."
- "Thanks Zee, and good point about trolls. Including people who like scaring other people just because..."
- "Potentially you could have a test tube sort of structure almost to the surface where a liquid is..."
- "A single cryptic link to this by John Derbyshire on why educrats cannot handle black affirmative..."
- " I'm gonna call you out on a source for that. I haven't heard anything about this. I've read nonsense..."
- Reduced blood flow seen in brain after clinical recovery of acute concussion
- MRI reveals weight loss protects knees
- Imaging identifies cartilage regeneration in long-distance runners
- Medicaid expansion improves breast cancer screening for low-income women
- Parental absence affects brain development in children
- Who Is Stalking You On Facebook? Who Is Your Biggest Fan?
- Who is Stalking you on Facebook? Who is your biggest Fan? (Updated Methods).
- "Imaginary Bullshit Planet" Nibiru - Lens Flares, Sun Mirages, Hoaxes & Just Plain Silly
- How Much Weight Can You Gain Due To Water Retention?
- Can A Man Really Get Pregnant? Sure, But It Might Kill Him