The compound resveratrol found in grapes displays not only antioxidant but other positive properties, according to a study published this week in the Journal of Biological Chemistry.
Resveratrol stimulates the expression of adiponectin, a hormone derived from cells that manufacture and store fat, the research team found. Adiponectin has a wide range of beneficial effects on obesity-related medical complications, said senior author Feng Liu, Ph.D., professor of pharmacology at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and member of the Barshop Institute of Longevity and Aging Studies at the Health Science Center.
Both adiponectin and resveratrol display anti-obesity, anti-insulin resistance and anti-aging properties, he says.
"Results from these studies should be of interest to those who are obese, diabetic and growing older,"stated Liu. "The findings should also provide important information on the development of novel therapeutic drugs for the treatment of these diseases."
The researchers confirmed the finding in cells and animal models. In July 2009 in the journal Nature, the Barshop Institute and collaborators reported that the compound rapamycin extended life in mice. Rapamycin, like resveratrol, is under scrutiny to determine its beneficial health effects. In 2010, Liu and colleagues stated that resveratrol inhibits activity of the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- BPA Is Everywhere, Except Where It’s Not
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- TSCA Reform Casualties Likely Start with Asbestos
- Global Warming Has Made Global Warming Harder To Show
- March Against Monsanto Claims Vaccines Cause Cancer
- Are There Two Higgses ? No, And I Won Another Bet!
- "No he doesn't need to know anything to say this. There's a very long list of people who have predicted..."
- "That prediction mr walker is by the rabbi who if i remember rightly stated at the beginning of..."
- "I went through Guido's book this summer and I found that really entertaining. The style is not..."
- "No, it's not real, it's just a hoax or myth. I haven't seen that prediction but that's how they..."
- "robert. you remember that Discovery of the hubble telescope in june about the universe expand more..."
- How Smoking Causes Heartaches
- Vagina: Inanimate Objects in Orifices
- Synthetic Cannabis: Why Is Spice So Dangerous?
- US News Tackles The War On Fun, And Other Ways Media Linked To Us Last Week
- Social Orangutans Are More Intelligent than Solitary Orangutans
- 'Of Questionable Evidentiary Weight' — Another Nail In IARC's Glyphosate Coffin
- Chemical weapons are still being used in Iraq but the Obama administration doesn't talk about it
- Why psychology lost its soul - science replaced it
- Jim Crow internet is pushing back against Black Lives Matter
- Ben & Jerry's: Global warming is changing the flavor of ice cream
- Laterality: Finding out about the human mind through stone