The compound resveratrol found in grapes displays not only antioxidant but other positive properties, according to a study published this week in the Journal of Biological Chemistry.
Resveratrol stimulates the expression of adiponectin, a hormone derived from cells that manufacture and store fat, the research team found. Adiponectin has a wide range of beneficial effects on obesity-related medical complications, said senior author Feng Liu, Ph.D., professor of pharmacology at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and member of the Barshop Institute of Longevity and Aging Studies at the Health Science Center.
Both adiponectin and resveratrol display anti-obesity, anti-insulin resistance and anti-aging properties, he says.
"Results from these studies should be of interest to those who are obese, diabetic and growing older,"stated Liu. "The findings should also provide important information on the development of novel therapeutic drugs for the treatment of these diseases."
The researchers confirmed the finding in cells and animal models. In July 2009 in the journal Nature, the Barshop Institute and collaborators reported that the compound rapamycin extended life in mice. Rapamycin, like resveratrol, is under scrutiny to determine its beneficial health effects. In 2010, Liu and colleagues stated that resveratrol inhibits activity of the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- Determining Prostate Cancer Risk With A DNA Methylation Biomarker
- Are Marijuana Warning Labels Needed? Users Say Yes
- "I think this is trolling again. Please can we have a civilized discussion. Neither of us have suggested..."
- "I brought up the topic of your photography because you have a genuine talent which deserves a wider..."
- "Rafi Letzter writing for Business Insider reports -The Arctic is now missing enough ice to cover..."
- "Thank you for your compliments on my photography, it is just one of my many hobbies. Nothing is..."
- "So where do the 'rapidly eliminated' BPA metabolites come from? Apparently there is now a steady..."
- Uh-Oh — Smokers Are Drinking the 'Additives Cause the Cancer' Kool-Aid
- A New Way to Prevent HIV Infection
- A Novel Way to Stop HIV
- A Very Cool Way To Treat Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- It’s Not Brain Surgery, But do You Know What is? Brain Surgery!
- Four New Superheavy Elements Have Official Names