A miniature extraterrestrial version of Africa's Nile River Valley has been spotted on Saturn’s moon Titan - it stretches more than 400 km from its "headwaters" to a large sea.
Have you ever before seen such a large river system in high resolution outside Earth? No, you have not.
Scientists deduce that the river is filled with liquid because it appears dark along its entire extent in the high-resolution radar image, indicating a smooth surface.
Titan is the only other world we know of that has stable liquid on its surface. While Earth’s hydrologic cycle relies on water, Titan’s equivalent cycle involves hydrocarbons such as ethane and methane.
Images from Cassini’s visible-light cameras in late 2010 revealed regions that darkened after recent rainfall. Cassini’s visual and infrared mapping spectrometer confirmed liquid ethane at a lake in Titan’s southern hemisphere known as Ontario Lacus in 2008.
Sort of 'Nile River' on Titan. Image was acquired on 26 September 2012, on Cassini’s 87th close flyby. The river valley crosses Titan’s north polar region and runs into Kraken Mare, one of the three great seas in the high northern latitudes of the moon. Credit: NASA/JPL–Caltech/ASI
“Though there are some short, local meanders, the relative straightness of the river valley suggests it follows the trace of at least one fault, similar to other large rivers running into the southern margin of this same Titan sea,” says Jani Radebaugh, a Cassini radar team associate at Brigham Young University. “Such faults – fractures in Titan’s bedrock – may not imply plate tectonics, like on Earth, but still lead to the opening of basins and perhaps to the formation of the giant seas themselves.”
“This radar-imaged river by Cassini provides another fantastic snapshot of a world in motion, which was first hinted at from the images of channels and gullies seen by ESA’s Huygens probe as it descended to the moon’s surface in 2005,” says Nicolas Altobelli, ESA’s Cassini Project Scientist.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- Study Shows Men Attracted to Transgender Women are NOT Gay. DUH!
- Europe's Folic Acid Policy Linked To Spina Bifida, Other Neural Tube Defects
- "why would people say this thing is real if its not obvisualy there going to make there selfs look..."
- "The videos they post, all the ones I've seen, are: Lens flares Offset lens or lens cover reflections..."
- "I no u keep saying this is a hoax and nibiru is not real but its a big hoax then because there..."
- "I no u keep saying this is a hoax and this nibiru is not real but its a big hoax then because there..."
- ":-) , predictability of human behavior, especially when it pertains to lucrative group think or..."
- Stem cell study paves the way for patient therapies
- Rice basket study rethinks roots of human culture
- Recommended activity levels not achieved by obese children and those with liver disease
- Patient deaths do not increase during doctor strikes
- The harmful use of topical steroids in India is out of control, says expert