Sentinel-1A lifted off on a Soyuz launcher from Europe’s Spaceport in French Guyana at 9:02 PM GMT today.
Sentinel-1A has been at the launch site since the end of February and has been through numerous tests to make sure that everything is in perfect condition to provide essential radar imagery for Europe’s Copernicus program, which focuses on providing data to improve the way the environment is managed.
Weather satellites have been providing operational data for years, of course, but the family of Sentinel missions is designed for environmental monitoring.
Guido Levrini, the Copernicus Space Segment Programme Manager, said, “On one side, this launch is the culmination of a decade of personal professional investment and on the other side it is the beginning of a large-scale construction. It is the first stone, the foundation of a soon-to-materialize splendid cathedral – we already get a glimpse of its cupola from the distance.”
Sentinel-1 is a two-satellite constellation: Sentinel-1B will be launched next year.
A further five Sentinel missions will be launched in the coming years. Each carries state-of-the-art technology to deliver a stream of complementary imagery and data tailored to the needs of Copernicus users.
The best part for all citizen scientists out there: The data will be open to users worldwide, free of charge.
Sentinel-1A launch team at ESOC on L-1 day. Credit: ESA/J. Mai
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- As Dawn Approaches, The First Color Images Of Ceres
- NailO: Your Thumb As A Miniature Wireless Track Pad
- Eyes Are On The James Webb Space Telescope As Hubble's 25th Anniversary Approaches
- Thorium Can Serve As A Nuclear Fuel For Commercial Electricity Generation
- Can Moons Have Moonlets? Or Rings?
- Dr. Henry Miller To Columbia: Give Oz The Boot
- Should Caffeine Be A Schedule 1 Drug?
- "I am currently writing a book Spirituality 101 my claim is that man simply cannot be atheisat...."
- "Most people who accept the concept of anthropogenic global warming have been convinced that CO2..."
- "I was wrong in thinking that environmentalism would lose because (a) it is too silly and (b) the..."
- "I have a serious problem with your logic: Hospital death rates are indeed a serious problem, but..."
- "Hawaii is infested with professional Hawaiians who have learned how to make a good living over..."