Sentinel-1A lifted off on a Soyuz launcher from Europe’s Spaceport in French Guyana at 9:02 PM GMT today.
Sentinel-1A has been at the launch site since the end of February and has been through numerous tests to make sure that everything is in perfect condition to provide essential radar imagery for Europe’s Copernicus program, which focuses on providing data to improve the way the environment is managed.
Weather satellites have been providing operational data for years, of course, but the family of Sentinel missions is designed for environmental monitoring.
Guido Levrini, the Copernicus Space Segment Programme Manager, said, “On one side, this launch is the culmination of a decade of personal professional investment and on the other side it is the beginning of a large-scale construction. It is the first stone, the foundation of a soon-to-materialize splendid cathedral – we already get a glimpse of its cupola from the distance.”
Sentinel-1 is a two-satellite constellation: Sentinel-1B will be launched next year.
A further five Sentinel missions will be launched in the coming years. Each carries state-of-the-art technology to deliver a stream of complementary imagery and data tailored to the needs of Copernicus users.
The best part for all citizen scientists out there: The data will be open to users worldwide, free of charge.
Sentinel-1A launch team at ESOC on L-1 day. Credit: ESA/J. Mai
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Case For Moon: Gateway To Open Ended Human Exploration, With Planetary Protection Central - On The SpaceShow
- B0 Meson Lifetime Difference Measured By ATLAS
- Italian Food Scientists Are Tired Of Phony Cheese
- The Real Cost Of Milk
- Can't Resist Temptation? That May Not Be A Bad Thing
- After Losing In Government, Environmental Groups Embrace The Free Market
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- "I agree with you in theory, but in the case of this particular salmon, I do not think it will turn..."
- "Homeopathy is based on the ‘like cures like’ principle: if a substance causes a set of symptoms..."
- "scuentific ?????????..."
- "Irrefutable evidence? This is not in agreement with the falsability criteria. Is dogmatism...."
- "Ernst has shown many times, through reviews of studies that homeopathy does not work. 2002 Review..."
- The taste or smell of foods can affect aging, say scientists
- New malaria drugs kill by promoting premature parasite division
- How prions kill neurons: New culture system shows early toxicity to dendritic spines
- The brain needs cleaning to stay healthy
- In brain-injured patients, a way to measure awareness or its impending return