57 percent of dietitians say nutritional success only happens if people can indulge once in a while; in foods where taste is the priority.
A survey of 200 dietitians and attendees at the Food&Nutrition Conference&Expo on Oct. 6th-8th by online retailer FreshDirect determined that a majority of respondents said they would acquire a taste for anything that's good for them and like it, 65 percent admit to cooking or seasoning their vegetables to tolerate the taste.
Survey results were that 75 percent of dietitians have weight loss counseling experience, but 84 percent think their own bodies could still use some work. 56 percent of those surveyed admitted to recommending foods to clients that they don't eat themselves.
"These findings show that these dietitians first and foremost value quality of life," said Amy Marlow, MPH, RD, Nutrition Advisor for Happy Family Brands, and participant at the Food&Nutrition Conference & Expo. "Dietitians know that feeling good and staying healthy means keeping nutrient-rich foods at the center of their diets, but it does not mean they deprive themselves of delicious-tasting foods."
Lifestyles are also an important indicator of how dietitians maintain their habits. 80 percent of dietitians respond that they love to try new desserts and sip on cocktails with friends when they go out to restaurants. 71 percent claim that inconvenience and lack of exciting selection derail their ideal eating habits on a weekly basis. Only 30 percent contend that there is no excuse to sacrifice pure eating.
"The idea of the survey was to understand to what degree dietitians practice what they preach, and to test the commonly-held view that dietitians have perfect food habits, perfect weight, and never indulge," said John Leeman, Chief Marketing Officer of FreshDirect. "What we found is that dietitians are human. Like many of us, they want nutritious, healthy foods, but they also want to enjoy the taste of it. That's why we put an emphasis on quality, which can satisfy both needs."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- "Yes, there is nothing to warn anyone about :). ..."
- "anti-fascists like me and dykes like you OK, I'm now deeply disturbed. I did not think it..."
- "so I don't need to warn my family about nibiru then because nothing is going to happen..."
- "Gauss had a white penisDamn- that's a great line...."
- "No,. there is no way it could slip through. We have surveyed the solar system far too thoroughly..."