57 percent of dietitians say nutritional success only happens if people can indulge once in a while; in foods where taste is the priority.
A survey of 200 dietitians and attendees at the Food&Nutrition Conference&Expo on Oct. 6th-8th by online retailer FreshDirect determined that a majority of respondents said they would acquire a taste for anything that's good for them and like it, 65 percent admit to cooking or seasoning their vegetables to tolerate the taste.
Survey results were that 75 percent of dietitians have weight loss counseling experience, but 84 percent think their own bodies could still use some work. 56 percent of those surveyed admitted to recommending foods to clients that they don't eat themselves.
"These findings show that these dietitians first and foremost value quality of life," said Amy Marlow, MPH, RD, Nutrition Advisor for Happy Family Brands, and participant at the Food&Nutrition Conference & Expo. "Dietitians know that feeling good and staying healthy means keeping nutrient-rich foods at the center of their diets, but it does not mean they deprive themselves of delicious-tasting foods."
Lifestyles are also an important indicator of how dietitians maintain their habits. 80 percent of dietitians respond that they love to try new desserts and sip on cocktails with friends when they go out to restaurants. 71 percent claim that inconvenience and lack of exciting selection derail their ideal eating habits on a weekly basis. Only 30 percent contend that there is no excuse to sacrifice pure eating.
"The idea of the survey was to understand to what degree dietitians practice what they preach, and to test the commonly-held view that dietitians have perfect food habits, perfect weight, and never indulge," said John Leeman, Chief Marketing Officer of FreshDirect. "What we found is that dietitians are human. Like many of us, they want nutritious, healthy foods, but they also want to enjoy the taste of it. That's why we put an emphasis on quality, which can satisfy both needs."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Hubble Spots Europa Geysers Again - How They Did It - And What Next? Flyby? Lander?
- How Did Early Earth Stay Warm? Greenhouse Gases
- Global Warming Has Made Global Warming Harder To Show
- March Against Monsanto Claims Vaccines Cause Cancer
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- Is Corbyn Right About The Bomb?- Op Ed
- Are There Two Higgses ? No, And I Won Another Bet!
- "The left bases a persons dedication to science strictly on how many of their beliefs you wholeheartedly..."
- "I know someone who has sent to a zeta talkers (a website, which promoted, back in the early 2000s..."
- "Oh that's an example of how they muddle everything together and ignore inconvenient differences..."
- "I think uve also got to take into account as well tho mr walker that there is also alot of people..."
- "Another definite equation (a relation between the neutrino reactor angle and the neutrino mass..."
- A Cocktail of Wild Viruses Treats Bacterial Wound Infections in Mice
- The Scientific Advisors at Theranos Won't (or Can't) Talk
- Suppressing Coughs at Tonight's Presidential Debate
- Suppressing Cough at Tonight's Presidential Debate
- How Smoking Causes Heartaches
- Flu Vaccine Updates for 2016-2017