It has been a mystery why unusually severe epidemics of influenza occur from time to time, such as in 1947 and 1951, when illness and mortality rates exceeded standard epidemic levels.
The standard model of human influenza virus evolution holds that major influenza pandemics, the largest of which occurred in 1918, are caused by reassortment between human and avian influenza viruses. But seasonal influenza epidemics, which occur each winter in the United States, do not involve the reassortment of genetic material.
Researchers at Pennsylvania State University and the National Institute of Health used an evolutionary analysis of influenza viruses sampled from 1918 – 2005 to investigate the influenza viruses that cause seasonal epidemics in humans, particularly those where mortality was unusually high.
Specifically, the researchers found that the severe influenza epidemics of 1947 and 1951 were caused by genetic reassortment events in which two human influenza viruses of the same H1N1 strain exchanged genetic material, producing a new hybrid virus in both cases.
These new findings suggest that the evolution of seasonal influenza is more complex than previously thought, and that multiple forms of the same strain co-circulate and re-assort within a single population, rapidly generating genetically novel viruses with the potential to ignite major epidemics.
It is therefore critical that intensive surveillance is undertaken to capture the full extent of influenza genetic diversity that co-circulates at a given time, particularly as an aid to vaccine design.
- Amitabh Avasthi
Nelson MI, Viboud C, Simonsen L, Bennett RT, Griesemer SB, et al. (2008) Multiple Reassortment Events in the Evolutionary History of H1N1 Influenza A Virus Since 1918. PLoS Pathog 4(2): e1000012. doi:10.1371/journal.ppat.1000012
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Standards Needed For Post-Conviction Review Of Forensic Evidence
- The Era Of The Atom
- Cardiovascular Risk Factors And Alzheimer's Disease Genetic Overlap
- Will Asteroid 2012 TC4 Hit Earth in October 2017?
- Can Moons Have Moonlets? Or Rings? Moonlets Of Pluto's Moons?
- Thorium Can Serve As A Nuclear Fuel For Commercial Electricity Generation
- We've Forgotten The Trial Of Socrates: Excellence And Winning Aren’t The Same Thing
- "Another nice use of radiation in the beginning of XX century (say, until 1930 or so) was painting..."
- "Another comment: the skylab astronauts running around in their jogging track experienced about..."
- "Hi R,thanks for participating in this absurd context, and for your guess. I explained what ..."
- "Well, congratulations, you got close. Indeed this is a parameter space of new physics - but..."
- "Co2, has little effect on incoming solar IR, wrong wavelengths. It does interact with out going..."