Earthstock, Stony Brook University’s 8th annual week long awareness-raising celebration of Earth Day, kicks off at 10 am on Friday, April 17 with a full day of entertainment, food, refreshments, environmentally-oriented activities and visual displays situated all around the Academic Mall.
On Friday, Stony Brook President Shirley Strum Kenny will deliver opening remarks at 12:15 pm and members of the University community will recite the “Green Pledge,” marking an enduring commitment to reduce their environmental footprint. More than 100 campus and off-campus environmental organizations and 13 Long Island middle schools and high schools will participate in the day-long festivities. An all new "Green Jobs" exhibitor fair component on main campus and Green Career Fair on the Southampton Campus are planned to help students learn about the quickly growing “Green” industry field. The “rubber duck race down “Stony Brook” begins at 2 pm, and there will be a musical performance by local famed band, Peat Moss and The Fertilizers.
Other major highlights throughout the week include:
April 18 – “Return Unwanted Medicines,” takes place from 10 am to 3 pm at the Setauket Firehouse on Nicolls Road; features the collection and proper disposal of old, unused or unwanted medicines. This event is sponsored by Stony Brook University Medical Center, New York Sea Grant and Stony Brook University.
April 21 – “The Baked Apple: Metropolitan New York in the Greenhouse” – A panel presentation and discussion on the implications of global climate change on New York City and Long Island. Moderated by Howard Schneider, Dean of the School of Journalism, Stony Brook University. In the Student Activities Center, Ballroom A at 3:30 pm.
Click here for a complete list of panelists: http://www.stonybrook.edu/sb/earthstock/schedule.shtml#apple
April 21 - “The Smarter Planet University Jam” – IBM will convene a 72-hour global online conversation, with faculty, students, IBM business leaders and technologists, and industry partners from across the globe on how technology and business can help build a Smarter Planet. The brightest minds in academia will log on to discuss important topics, including the vulnerability of global supply chains for food and medicine, the environmental and geopolitical issues surrounding energy, how to adapt our education system to help students acquire the skills to compete in an interconnected, intelligent, and instrumented world.
To log on, and for additional information, go to: http://www.stonybrook.edu/sb/earthstock/ibmjam.shtml
Earthstock includes 29 different programs, lectures and events over the course of the week; events are planned for main campus and the Stony Brook University Southampton Campus. For a full schedule of the events planned for the Earthstock celebration, please visit the Earthstock webpage. www.stonybrook.edu/sb/earthstock
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Biomarkers Predict How Well People Age
- Anomaly! At 35% Discount For Ten More Days
- Scientists For Trump In Spite Of Vaccine Autism And Climate Comments
- Eugene Cernan, Hometown Astronaut of Bellwood Illinois dead at 82.
- Getting Married
- If RFK Jr. Wasn't Good Enough For Pres. Obama, He Shouldn't Be Good Enough For Trump
- The Three Cubes Problem
- "I don't know why my comment's formatting was lost in the transmission, so that it is now one big..."
- "“If you don't use probabilities then how else do you do it? At any rate that's not a criticism..."
- "Tomasso, Congratulations, may you enjoy a long and happy life together with Kalliopi! Best regards..."
- "Found another one : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/545975/end-of-the-world-Gods-vengeance..."
- "Thanks :). Actually there are so many fake doomsday red top tabloid stories that I tend to wait..."
- Stink Bugs Add the Flavor of Cilantro to Red Wine
- When Mating, an Insect That Makes Rational Choices
- If You Think Fentanyl Is Bad...
- Let's Learn a Lesson from Theranos
- Guardians of Truth: Mike Huckabee Lauds Us, We Ruin Things for RFK Jr., And More Media Links
- Massachusetts Becomes the 20th State Where Naturopaths Can Hurt You