I wouldn't touch celery without a swath of peanut butter layered on top. I probably wouldn't touch it even then. Celery is not a stand-alone food for me.
But a study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry reports identification of the flavor-boosting components in celery - and it reaffirms what cooks have known all along.
In their paper, Kikue Kubota and colleagues note that cooks have long recognized celery’s “remarkable” ability to enchance the complex flavors of soups and broths - it takes on a sweet-spicy flavor after boiling, helping to give food a thick, full-bodied, satisfying taste. Until now, however, scientists have been unable to track down the roots of celery’s effects.
The scientists prepared batches of chicken broth with and without a volatile extract from celery. Panels of tasters confirmed that the flavor of soup made with celery extract was more intense. In particular, celery’s extract enhanced the sweetness and umami (meaty or savory) taste of the broth, even though the extract had virtually no flavor of its own.
From the extract, researchers identified three compounds responsible for celery’s flavor-enhancement. The compounds were phthalides, and they had the ability to enhance flavors despite being tasteless themselves.
Article: Flavor Enhancement of Chicken Broth from Boiled Celery Constituents
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- Planet Nine: A World That Shouldn't Exist
- Survival Of The Oldest
- Nanoparticles Hold Promise As Double-edged Sword Against Genital Herpes
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- One Third Of Antibiotic Prescriptions Unnecessary
- "In response to your point about building pressurized structures: something we have no experience..."
- "https://i2.wp.com/iceagenow.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Cooking-the-thermometer.png ..."
- "Top US scientist? He hasn’t published a paper in 50 years! He’s an interesting case. In 1990s..."
- "Ya, and your science consists of what? Conclusions based on data that has been homogenized (manipulated)..."
- "Just to prove that you know not what you speakith, the history of the study of logical fallacies..."
- NASA: Rising CO2 Will Help Food Crops
- NRDC Sues EPA Over Fracking – Has The Settlement Been Pre-Arranged?
- Vaccinate Pregnant Moms to Protect Babies from the Flu
- Pure Unstructured Structured Water – Because Some People Will Buy Anything
- Critical-Care Drug Shortages Continue, Despite FDA Action
- EPA Magically Makes Glyphosate Safety Report Disappear
- Breast milk hormones found to impact bacterial development in infants' guts
- Findings light the way for new treatments in colitis, colon cancer
- Oklahoma researchers find that a biological 'good guy' has a dark side
- Johns Hopkins scientist programs robot for 'soft tissue' surgery
- Study suggests bipolar disorder has genetic links to autism