Saturn rocks! Or rather not, actually. The planet is made of gas for the most part, but it does have a belt of dust infested ice around it. It is this belt that makes Saturn the 'template' planet. If we want to draw a planet, it is much like a simplified Saturn. Strictly speaking it could also be the other gas planets but their rings are faint in comparison. Saturn is the archetype of a planet.
Saturn is the most stylish planet; none above, none by its side. I have
spent way too much time looking at the elegant images published by
NASA's programs in particular, but there are also some magnificent
images coming from ESA. It is a major distraction for me, that is how
stylish Saturn is. I can't help myself no matter what I am doing or how
pressured I am for time, if a striking image of Saturn pops up on my
screen, Saturn it is that gets my attention.
A Splendor Seldom Seen. This is an extraordinary image of Saturn. The Cassini-Huygens satellite was in the shadows of Saturn and therefore able to take a rare backlit image of Saturn. If you are like me, you will want see the big version. Go to Ciclops (Cassini Imaging Central Laboratory for Operations) where they handle all the images, and click on the little image of Saturn to embiggen. It is magnificent! I also recommend you read the Captain's log (Carolyn Proco). Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute
Indulge in Saturn through the Cassini-Huygens program – a joint NASA (USA), ESA (Europe) and ASI (Italy) program:
Saturn at NASA
Saturn at ESA- Cassini-Huygens
Saturn at ASI- Cassini-Huygens
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Dopamine Receptor Agonist Drugs Linked To Gambling And Hypersexuality
- New Tractor Beam Can Repel And Attract
- Amenhotep III: Ancient Egyptian Mummies Didn't Have Spinal Arthritis
- #GAMERGATE Style Harassment Does Not Happen in the Male Dominated Sciences
- What's Hiding Under The Clouds Of Venus - Heavy Metal Frost?
- Get A Heart On: Viagra Is Good Outside The Bedroom Too
- How Mitochondria Began - Parasitic Coevolution Gets A New Wrinkle
- "Actually, I used to believe. It was what I was taught as a child and I was raised a Christian...."
- "Exactly. I cannot prove unequivocally that unicorns, fairies, leprechauns, or Bigfoot exist. But..."
- "This argument includes circular reasoning, shifting the burden of proof, argumentum ad ignorantiam..."
- "It also demonstrates another, unfortunately, common phenomenon: People will believe what they want..."
- "But suppose it wasn't designed at all, but rather molded by our environment, as evolution suggests..."
- Mutagenesis: One way Europeans wish it was 1936 again
- Closer examination of risk factors for Latinos underscores cultural diversity
- Saving bees requires less pesticides, changing farming
- Could GM plants replace airport security scanners?
- In a battle of brains, chimpanzees match human toddlers
- ‘Urban farmers’ behind GMO labeling initiatives
- Paralyzed man recovers some function following transplantation of OECs and nerve bridge
- Exposure to traffic pollution during pregnancy can damage future child's lungs
- Non-smokers exposed to 3 times above safe levels of particles when living with smokers
- The Lancet: Three people infected with Ebola predicted to fly from West Africa every month if no exit screening takes place
- Controlling Ebola in West Africa most effective way to decrease international risk: Paper