Saturn rocks! Or rather not, actually. The planet is made of gas for the most part, but it does have a belt of dust infested ice around it. It is this belt that makes Saturn the 'template' planet. If we want to draw a planet, it is much like a simplified Saturn. Strictly speaking it could also be the other gas planets but their rings are faint in comparison. Saturn is the archetype of a planet.
Saturn is the most stylish planet; none above, none by its side. I have
spent way too much time looking at the elegant images published by
NASA's programs in particular, but there are also some magnificent
images coming from ESA. It is a major distraction for me, that is how
stylish Saturn is. I can't help myself no matter what I am doing or how
pressured I am for time, if a striking image of Saturn pops up on my
screen, Saturn it is that gets my attention.
A Splendor Seldom Seen. This is an extraordinary image of Saturn. The Cassini-Huygens satellite was in the shadows of Saturn and therefore able to take a rare backlit image of Saturn. If you are like me, you will want see the big version. Go to Ciclops (Cassini Imaging Central Laboratory for Operations) where they handle all the images, and click on the little image of Saturn to embiggen. It is magnificent! I also recommend you read the Captain's log (Carolyn Proco). Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute
Indulge in Saturn through the Cassini-Huygens program – a joint NASA (USA), ESA (Europe) and ASI (Italy) program:
Saturn at NASA
Saturn at ESA- Cassini-Huygens
Saturn at ASI- Cassini-Huygens
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Poisons Chemists Hate, But You Just Ate
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- New Open-access Data On Paleofloods
- "The reason I needed to do an article is because so many of you are so scared by it. I wouldn't..."
- "You have nothing to worry about or scared about by way of mythical bullshit planets :). I don't..."
- "Well it's not going to happen, and it's just so sad that so many of you are getting worked up about..."
- "Where is this article, out of interest?I'm not too surprised, that there'd be some reaction. After..."
- "some people are saying nibiru wont hit earth its just going to cause mayhem on our planet apparently..."
- Earth's first ecosystems were more complex than previously thought, study finds
- Soil pulled from deep under Oregon's unglaciated Coast Range unveils frosty past climate
- Mystery of how snakes lost their legs solved by reptile fossil
- Seizure risk of anti-shivering agent meperidine greatly overstated
- Immune-disorder treatment in mice holds potential for multiple sclerosis patients