Saturn rocks! Or rather not, actually. The planet is made of gas for the most part, but it does have a belt of dust infested ice around it. It is this belt that makes Saturn the 'template' planet. If we want to draw a planet, it is much like a simplified Saturn. Strictly speaking it could also be the other gas planets but their rings are faint in comparison. Saturn is the archetype of a planet.
Saturn is the most stylish planet; none above, none by its side. I have
spent way too much time looking at the elegant images published by
NASA's programs in particular, but there are also some magnificent
images coming from ESA. It is a major distraction for me, that is how
stylish Saturn is. I can't help myself no matter what I am doing or how
pressured I am for time, if a striking image of Saturn pops up on my
screen, Saturn it is that gets my attention.
A Splendor Seldom Seen. This is an extraordinary image of Saturn. The Cassini-Huygens satellite was in the shadows of Saturn and therefore able to take a rare backlit image of Saturn. If you are like me, you will want see the big version. Go to Ciclops (Cassini Imaging Central Laboratory for Operations) where they handle all the images, and click on the little image of Saturn to embiggen. It is magnificent! I also recommend you read the Captain's log (Carolyn Proco). Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute
Indulge in Saturn through the Cassini-Huygens program – a joint NASA (USA), ESA (Europe) and ASI (Italy) program:
Saturn at NASA
Saturn at ESA- Cassini-Huygens
Saturn at ASI- Cassini-Huygens
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Swarm Bots Kill Mass Shooter
- Nanotech: The Most Dangerous Science Least Carefully Done
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition 4 Millon Signatures, Nearly 12% Of Total Votes Cast
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- How A Woman With Amnesia Defies Conventional Wisdom About Memory
- A Billion Years Ago, What Did Earth's Ancient Magnetic Field Look Like?
- Finding All-Hadronic Top - Again
- "If you really wanted to know the truth you could find many researched and peer reviewed articles..."
- "So how many people with HIV, HCV, Parkinson's, MS, Hansen's disease, etc etc etc are being cured..."
- "Hi Robert; Hope you are doing well. Just wanted you to know that I've put up a new video regarding..."
- "so in a nutshell basically they're not taking worries seriously..."
- "Sentence makes perfect sense. Has it been fixed?..."
- Swayed By Lunch Money: A Grotesque Insult to Doctors
- Sensing Too Much Zika Exposure, Golfers Continue Olympic Exodus
- Cannabis Beverages: A New Way to Get High
- Got Zika? Thank an Environmentalist
- Magical Moron Moments: Burn Your Feet with Tony Robbins
- IARC is controversial – because they put ideology over science
- LGBT rights and protections are scarce in constitutions around the world, UCLA study finds
- Bacterial colonies in human body linked to presence of cancer in mouth and throat
- The Smithsonian celebrates the Panama Canal expansion
- What happens when you steam a planet?
- Clandestine black hole may represent new population