Saturn rocks! Or rather not, actually. The planet is made of gas for the most part, but it does have a belt of dust infested ice around it. It is this belt that makes Saturn the 'template' planet. If we want to draw a planet, it is much like a simplified Saturn. Strictly speaking it could also be the other gas planets but their rings are faint in comparison. Saturn is the archetype of a planet.
Saturn is the most stylish planet; none above, none by its side. I have
spent way too much time looking at the elegant images published by
NASA's programs in particular, but there are also some magnificent
images coming from ESA. It is a major distraction for me, that is how
stylish Saturn is. I can't help myself no matter what I am doing or how
pressured I am for time, if a striking image of Saturn pops up on my
screen, Saturn it is that gets my attention.
A Splendor Seldom Seen. This is an extraordinary image of Saturn. The Cassini-Huygens satellite was in the shadows of Saturn and therefore able to take a rare backlit image of Saturn. If you are like me, you will want see the big version. Go to Ciclops (Cassini Imaging Central Laboratory for Operations) where they handle all the images, and click on the little image of Saturn to embiggen. It is magnificent! I also recommend you read the Captain's log (Carolyn Proco). Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute
Indulge in Saturn through the Cassini-Huygens program – a joint NASA (USA), ESA (Europe) and ASI (Italy) program:
Saturn at NASA
Saturn at ESA- Cassini-Huygens
Saturn at ASI- Cassini-Huygens
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Philae: Rosetta Lander Will Seek A Close Encounter With Comet 67P’s ‘Primordial Soup’
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- How Neuroscience Is Being Used To Spread Quackery In Business And Education
- Anger Face Is Universal, And It Evolved Because Of Psychology
- Junk Food Rats Ditch Balanced Diet To Eat Just Like Obese People
- Will We Meet ET Microbes On Mars? Why We Should Care Deeply About Them - Like Tigers
- Researchers Watch Glass Flipping From One Structure To Another Under Pressure
- "Where's your evidence Robert? We are talking about philosophy not bloody religion!..."
- "I do research in neuroscience. The real good stuff (and it is ground slowly but certainly) will..."
- "from TOLSTOY AND THE CULT OF SIMPLICITY..."
- "If we don't have animal studies, we are left with anecdotes as evidence. I agree organic foods..."
- "Am I the only one who is concerned about the usage of the animals for such experiments? I'm really..."
- Evolution of the central Garlock fault zone
- Stratigraphic and microfossil evidence for a 4,500-year history of Cascadia subduction zone earthquakes and tsunamis at Yaquina
- Medication shows mixed results in reducing complications from cardiac surgery
- Transvenous lead extraction clinically successful in 98 percent of cases
- First multidisciplinary recommendations on management of arrhythmias in ACS patients