Saturn rocks! Or rather not, actually. The planet is made of gas for the most part, but it does have a belt of dust infested ice around it. It is this belt that makes Saturn the 'template' planet. If we want to draw a planet, it is much like a simplified Saturn. Strictly speaking it could also be the other gas planets but their rings are faint in comparison. Saturn is the archetype of a planet.
Saturn is the most stylish planet; none above, none by its side. I have
spent way too much time looking at the elegant images published by
NASA's programs in particular, but there are also some magnificent
images coming from ESA. It is a major distraction for me, that is how
stylish Saturn is. I can't help myself no matter what I am doing or how
pressured I am for time, if a striking image of Saturn pops up on my
screen, Saturn it is that gets my attention.
A Splendor Seldom Seen. This is an extraordinary image of Saturn. The Cassini-Huygens satellite was in the shadows of Saturn and therefore able to take a rare backlit image of Saturn. If you are like me, you will want see the big version. Go to Ciclops (Cassini Imaging Central Laboratory for Operations) where they handle all the images, and click on the little image of Saturn to embiggen. It is magnificent! I also recommend you read the Captain's log (Carolyn Proco). Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute
Indulge in Saturn through the Cassini-Huygens program – a joint NASA (USA), ESA (Europe) and ASI (Italy) program:
Saturn at NASA
Saturn at ESA- Cassini-Huygens
Saturn at ASI- Cassini-Huygens
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Quantum Teleportation 25 Kilometers Away
- BICEP2's vision wasn't that strong, Planck says their window was too dusty.
- 30 Years Left To Reach The Limit: CO2 Emissions Will Reach New Record High In 2014
- Graphene Sensor Tracks Down Cancer Biomarkers
- Why Natural Gas, Including Fracking, Is Better For The Environment Than Wind And Solar
- Global Carbon Report: Emissions Will Hit New Heights In 2014
- John Ellis On The Ascent Of The Standard Model
- "Sorry to say it PD, but you look very confused to me. The model has been the samesince the late..."
- "Don't believe it. Global warming due to man made activity is bunk. The science does not support it...."
- "No, I have no doubts that your Lagrangian math is sound and all of the equations balance, this..."
- "I suppose when all you can see is political bias, it stands to reason that you would interpret..."
- " Actually that's a pretty good misrepresentation of the studies. Thanks for contributing more nonsense..."
- Mothers of children with autism less likely to have taken iron supplements
- Research evaluates neurodevelomental and medical outcomes in single family room NICU
- E-cigarettes unhelpful in smoking cessation among cancer patients
- UTHealth researchers study impact of smoking ban in homeless shelter
- Teens' neural response to food commercials predicts future weight gain