Please visit this site, and watch a ten seconds video which is very aggressive in its crude substance: during the time you watch it, two children die of hunger.
There are in the world today a billion human beings who have insufficient means to sustain themselves, their families, their children. This is so intolerable that we use to remove it from our brain. Can you imagine your child dying of hunger as you watch powerless ?
One, two, three, four, five. If we gave names, faces, stories to these children who die in silence while we trash half of our oversized meal, while we burn gas to get home one minute earlier, while we leave our lights on as we get out, things would be different. If we gave them a chance to tell us one word in our deaf ears, we would be forced to listen. That is why we do not. We remove it from our collective conscience, from our newspapers, from television. We pretend poverty is not there. Not just poverty: dire straits of misery, the fight for daily survival.
Count to five, and visit that site. The goal is to reach one billion clicks, to say no to hunger. Let us give strength to those who fight hunger while we hide it from our sight.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Family Holiday Survival: 12 Ways To Deal With That Climate Change Denier
- A Vegetarian Carnivorous Plant...Wait, What?
- Falsifiability And The Integrity Of Physics
- To Survive A Heart Attack, It Helps To Be Fat
- Wave-Particle Duality And Quantum Uncertainty - Two Sides Of The Same Mystery?
- Dr. Ozvorkian And The Amoebas
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- "I have hemochromatosis which has caused me to develop arthropathy or sore joints which don't seem..."
- "Part of the issue is that theoretical physics can deal with issues which we do not have the technology..."
- "Consider the following: Those who are obese actually get fairly decent cardio workouts simply going..."
- "Here are a couple of small thoughts. I don't like the word falsifiable. Call me old fashioned,..."
- "This is great! Will it also work for anti-vaxers, pro-organic food people, anti-nuclear people..."
- Ebola vaccine candidate safe and equally immunogenic in Africa
- What happens to patients when cardiologists are away at national meetings?
- Physical violence and fluctuations of cortisol levels in women linked
- Riluzole may prevent foggy 'old age' brain
- Survival rates higher in obese heart failure patients