Please visit this site, and watch a ten seconds video which is very aggressive in its crude substance: during the time you watch it, two children die of hunger.
There are in the world today a billion human beings who have insufficient means to sustain themselves, their families, their children. This is so intolerable that we use to remove it from our brain. Can you imagine your child dying of hunger as you watch powerless ?
One, two, three, four, five. If we gave names, faces, stories to these children who die in silence while we trash half of our oversized meal, while we burn gas to get home one minute earlier, while we leave our lights on as we get out, things would be different. If we gave them a chance to tell us one word in our deaf ears, we would be forced to listen. That is why we do not. We remove it from our collective conscience, from our newspapers, from television. We pretend poverty is not there. Not just poverty: dire straits of misery, the fight for daily survival.
Count to five, and visit that site. The goal is to reach one billion clicks, to say no to hunger. Let us give strength to those who fight hunger while we hide it from our sight.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- High School Scientist Discovers Pulsar With Widest Orbit Ever Detected
- Are We Living In A Hologram? Is The Universe A 2-D Projection On The Cosmic Horizon?
- The state of life extension science: a physicist’s thoughts on how soon.
- Does This Cow Really Exist?
- Stuff Worth Reading: Collider Asymmetries, Dark Photons, And Warp Drives
- Just In Case You Thought Your Wine Was Vegan
- The Future Of Medical Prevention
- "There are a number of calculators for individual diseases, but I've not heard of any unified projection..."
- "I think there are multiple contests to produce a 'tricorder' - or pieces of it, and suspect there..."
- "You've probably heard about this, but Apple is essentially building a platform for exactly what..."
- "I enjoy watching Scientists argue. They are so stuck in their belief system they can't see the..."
- "not new - this theory has been around Holt's papers in 1978...."