Please visit this site, and watch a ten seconds video which is very aggressive in its crude substance: during the time you watch it, two children die of hunger.
There are in the world today a billion human beings who have insufficient means to sustain themselves, their families, their children. This is so intolerable that we use to remove it from our brain. Can you imagine your child dying of hunger as you watch powerless ?
One, two, three, four, five. If we gave names, faces, stories to these children who die in silence while we trash half of our oversized meal, while we burn gas to get home one minute earlier, while we leave our lights on as we get out, things would be different. If we gave them a chance to tell us one word in our deaf ears, we would be forced to listen. That is why we do not. We remove it from our collective conscience, from our newspapers, from television. We pretend poverty is not there. Not just poverty: dire straits of misery, the fight for daily survival.
Count to five, and visit that site. The goal is to reach one billion clicks, to say no to hunger. Let us give strength to those who fight hunger while we hide it from our sight.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Bitcoin And Anonymity: User's Identity Can Be Revealed Much Easier Than Thought
- Is The Micropower Revolution Here?
- Chronic Pain Isn't All In The Brain
- On integrating out short-distance physics
- Not Neonics: Parasites Are Bad For Honey Bees
- "I really like the content in this website, are all new things and new lesson for us this very increase..."
- "Chimpanzees go to war with each other and yet they did not evolve into a similarly intelligent..."
- "I have always thought that that formulas like (1) are not clear . If G(u) is a primitive of f(u)..."
- "I am indeed checking with vanEnglesdorp even though the matter seems quite clear cut to me: showing..."
- "Hi, the comics linked below seems to deal with a similar stuff. http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3554#comi..."
- Study reveals significantly increased risk of stillbirth in males
- Moderate coffee consumption may lower the risk of Alzheimer's disease by up to 20 percent
- New research supporting stroke rehabilitation
- The artificial pancreas shown to improve the treatment of type 1 diabetes
- The Lancet: Leading medical experts call for an end to UK postcode lottery for liver disease treatment and detection