Please visit this site, and watch a ten seconds video which is very aggressive in its crude substance: during the time you watch it, two children die of hunger.
There are in the world today a billion human beings who have insufficient means to sustain themselves, their families, their children. This is so intolerable that we use to remove it from our brain. Can you imagine your child dying of hunger as you watch powerless ?
One, two, three, four, five. If we gave names, faces, stories to these children who die in silence while we trash half of our oversized meal, while we burn gas to get home one minute earlier, while we leave our lights on as we get out, things would be different. If we gave them a chance to tell us one word in our deaf ears, we would be forced to listen. That is why we do not. We remove it from our collective conscience, from our newspapers, from television. We pretend poverty is not there. Not just poverty: dire straits of misery, the fight for daily survival.
Count to five, and visit that site. The goal is to reach one billion clicks, to say no to hunger. Let us give strength to those who fight hunger while we hide it from our sight.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Reasons Serious Scientists Should Not Fear The Winnower and other OA Open Review Journals.
- Education: Stop New Age Thinking, Chalk And Talk Might Be The Best Way After All
- Big Data Could Be A Big Problem For Workplace Discrimination Law
- The BPA Paradox – Too Many Studies?
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- "Thanks Arthur. Twitter does indeed leave a lot to be desired in terms of precise meaning, 140 characters..."
- "Not at field realistic doses no...."
- "but there isvalid evidence of sublethal effects of neonics, no?..."
- "Henk, These have nothing to do with Lu's study...which is flawed and bad science. See Part II of..."
- "I am a Dutch toxicologist who blew the whistle in 2010 on the exceptional hazards of neonicotinoids..."
- Has a possible new lead been found in the fight against neurodegenerative diseases?
- High-dose interleukin-2 effective in mRCC pre-treated with VEGF-targeted therapies
- Discovery by NUS researchers contributes towards future treatment of multiple sclerosis
- Survivors of childhood eye cancer experience normal cognitive functioning as adults
- Important element in the fight against sleeping sickness found